a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#51 2021-04-12 18:46:20

QuirkySmirkyIan

Re: Why so distant? - about game difficulty

Tarr wrote:

I smell a ban coming.

wait what i thought your fourm name was fug

Open gate now. Need truck to be more efficient!

#52 2021-04-12 20:14:37

DestinyCall

Can't it be both?

#53 2021-04-13 03:15:04

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

boot

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#54 2021-04-13 09:36:48

sigmen4020

DiscardedSlinky wrote:

boot

The boots indicate an unwillingness to even try to think about things.

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#55 2021-04-14 02:07:48

Starknight_One

sigmen4020 wrote:
DiscardedSlinky wrote:

boot

The boots indicate an unwillingness to even try to think about things.

After all, those boots were made for walking... not thinking.

#56 2021-04-14 07:02:59

DestinyCall

"To my overly emotional sister, Jenny, I bequeath .... a boot to the head."

#57 2021-04-14 15:06:53

Morti

A few points on the topic of migration.
1. We did migrate, females left home and started new families and those new families started new towns. It was fun, for me, and it was interesting, to me, and I am the only person I can speak for, but given the binary choices between fun and not fun, interesting and not interesting, I'm fairly certain I was not alone.
2. When the game becomes about migration, it would be great to have a large body of water and a boat to move a large amount of resources; clothing, food, metal, wood, anything to make building at the next destination easier; faster, so that we can get ideal temps and all the nutrition a diverse diet affords.
3. You will never have any idea how much fun this game was three years ago, playing it today. Having your family, having EVERYONE confined, to strips of land, and boxes before them, was dumb art.

Here is a wild idea: It was Jason getting even with Twisted for ruining the game. When the most needed thing for towns in Jason's game to survive was children, and Twisted was suiciding for views on Youtube in search of the biggest towns to make videos in, Jason knew that. It was obvious in the forum that child suicide was devastating, but Twisted didn't care, he was anonymous in game, he could suicide all day looking for the best place to film a video, and seeing question after question, in his videos "How do you find such awesome towns?" Twisted thought he'd give his fans a little tip and told them what they wanted to know; he'd give them the lazy shortcut. And video after video where he was asked, he let them know, to kill themselves. And that's what they did; mass suicides.

The suicides led to people wanting to be mothers in difficult situations, feeling, depressed and they quit the game. Jason then devised a plan to get back at Twisted for ruining the game, by taking his bad advice, he would teach Twisted the error of his ways. So he made the game even worse. And the war between Twisted's struggle for views, and Jason's struggle to teach, that neither man could get over, led to the misery of countless players, many of whom had no idea why the game was getting worse and worse, nor did either of the men understand the harm they were causing to the game community as a whole. As Jason struggled to reach Twisted, a man halfway around the world who was simply looking for a means to feed his future family off of money provided by this new platform known as Youtube, Twisted, nearly as blind as Jason by the desire for fame, failed to see the harm he had caused to his own future, in the past.

Who won?
No one.
You're both causing each other's suffering, both of you feed off eyes you've turned away.
Gluttonous pigs at your cores, the both of you.

Get yourselves cleaned up.

--

As the one person who has given the most of his time to the life of this game, by living it on the inside, I forgive the both of you for your selfishness and, for your short sighted altruism as you look into the faces of your partners and think you have to take from others, to keep them happy, lest they leave you for someone who can take more and give it with a better smile.

We all, have a history together, let's not sacrifice that along with our offerings of the past, but instead, continue to grow together from this experience, like a forest of trees racing through the sky to reach the sun, sheltering each other from the strongest winds.
We are better together, with our seedy pasts behind us.
We can all stand taller, together.

--

Jason has become confined by his art.
You can do anything, Jason, anything you like with this world.
Any point you want to make, any variable you want to tweak, anything you want to put in people's faces, you can.
You are not confined by the game.
You are not confined by the code.
Countless lessons have yet to be learned by the juxtaposition of your world with reality, as we each perceive it day-by-day; experience after experience.
Make people wonder what you are thinking by the acts of your hands and the messages that come through them, not with your absence.
Don't be afraid to make mistakes, be afraid of not making them; not giving people a lesson to learn from.
The same goes to you, here for the kind of love you can't get anywhere else.
Don't be afraid to go out on a limb for the sake of us all.
We're here to catch you if it breaks.
We'll always be waiting.

Now is the time, to climb.
Keep your eyes training on toeholds, and rise.

#58 2021-04-14 19:07:24

Spoonwood

Spreading out still happens, I recall seeing at least 1.7k fairly recently after the most recent arc reset.

It's also not mentioned here, unless I missed it, that players choose to go in different directions.

Some Eves, or their children, choose to go left towards greener pastures.  Other Eves (or descendants of Eves) choose to go right towards already developed camps/towns.  *Both sets of players will continue to exist* so long as players exist.

Race restrictions created this problem.  It won't go away until either race restrictions get removed entirely, there exist fairly frequent arc resets, we have low or no technology teleporters between sites, or race restricted resources don't involve something necessary like acquisition of water.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2021-04-14 19:07:38)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#59 2021-04-15 00:57:42

Spoonwood

Ah, I had mentioned being 2.2k away from some family in this post (the two families mentioned are Peaches and Chang, neither was one where I was an Eve AND this was after the most recent arc restart, as Perons http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=7204717 were an earlier family): http://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewto … 85#p105785

The same issue that Gogo mentioned *still* exists.

And, of course it would since the causes lay in Eves running opposite directions, and one family dying out while another survives and needs the opportunity to have a fresh area if they so choose.

If race restrictions get removed entirely, then no problem with distance exists.  And no other problems crop up.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2021-04-15 00:58:23)

Danish Clinch.

#60 2021-04-15 03:51:39

Spoonwood

jasonrohrer wrote:

The big solutions, of totally revamping the game with oceans or whatever, don't address the actual problem we're experiencing now.  Why this problem now?  It's because ...

The problem of family distance originally arose as a *game play* problem because of how water sources got made dependent on racially restricted resources.  Thus, the "because" here could get summarized accurately by saying that families aren't independent with respect to survival resources.  That was the problem when Gogo wrote his post above and still is a problem.  Families aren't independent enough with respect to survival resources.

How does tapout relate as mentioned above?  Because the whole tapout system makes it so that families have less opportunity to supply their own water for their needs, and also ensures that gingers need to keep going left to get more kerosene, and also pushes Eves to run around a bunch more when looking for a spot to get iron (thus an Eve doesn't just have to go left to find a good *fresh* spot, but it often makes sense for an Eve to go significantly left to find a good fresh spot).  Thus, tapout contributes to some Eves running left, while plenty of Eves or their children will run right to resettle towns that they liked or wanted to keep going or because they'd rather not play the early game.

Danish Clinch.

#61 2021-04-15 05:01:49

Spoonwood

I just played and blacks are 2.2k right of whites.  That's even with fresh spots likely not available left.

Danish Clinch.

#62 2021-04-15 15:42:36

Spoonwood

I just played as Ali Pizza http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=7271478 and tans are 2.3k right of whites, and blacks are 2993 (almost 3k) right of whites.

Danish Clinch.

#63 2021-04-19 17:44:22

Morti

Spoonwood wrote:
jasonrohrer wrote:

The big solutions, of totally revamping the game with oceans or whatever, don't address the actual problem we're experiencing now.  Why this problem now?  It's because ...

The problem of family distance originally arose as a *game play* problem because of how water sources got made dependent on racially restricted resources.  Thus, the "because" here could get summarized accurately by saying that families aren't independent with respect to survival resources.  That was the problem when Gogo wrote his post above and still is a problem.  Families aren't independent enough with respect to survival resources.

How does tapout relate as mentioned above?  Because the whole tapout system makes it so that families have less opportunity to supply their own water for their needs, and also ensures that gingers need to keep going left to get more kerosene, and also pushes Eves to run around a bunch more when looking for a spot to get iron (thus an Eve doesn't just have to go left to find a good *fresh* spot, but it often makes sense for an Eve to go significantly left to find a good fresh spot).  Thus, tapout contributes to some Eves running left, while plenty of Eves or their children will run right to resettle towns that they liked or wanted to keep going or because they'd rather not play the early game.

Bodies of water could have smaller tapout radii around them, to represent how their water tables are sustained by the water basin around them, being rivers and just the 'bowl' of the landscape they find themselves the heart of. Look at satellite images around bodies of fresh water, and cross those images with maps of the aquifers, and you will understand why Michigan will be amazingly valuable property for thousands and thousands of years. Maybe millions. Probably millions.

#64 2021-04-19 17:46:23

Morti

Morti wrote:

Michigan

The Great Lakes Basin States and Provinces.

Board footer