One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-01-26 10:56:44

The_Llamacorn

How to become Eve?

I haven't played this game in like a year but decided to try it again hoping it hadn't gone to shit just yet. Since it's so boring to live in a huge town that already has all the highest tech I kept using /die to try to get "banned" from the big families for a while so I could eventually spawn as an Eve, or at least in a smaller town, but seems like that's not how it works anymore. I kept getting born to the same mothers over and over again in the same 2 or 3 towns no matter what. So my question is, how do I become an Eve or spawn in a smaller town (without joining an empty server).

Noobs are fine, but noobs that don't listen and refuse to learn, get on my nerves. Your ignorance will lead you to Donkey Town one day.

"Hugs from grandma"
-Rose Winter

#2 2021-01-26 14:19:00

darkdemon23

Re: How to become Eve?

The game only calls for an eve when one of the 4 families on the map die out I don't know how to join a small town I have not seen a small town in a while

#3 2021-01-26 16:27:06

Spoonwood

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#4 2021-01-26 17:18:58

The_Llamacorn

Well, that's disappointing. Back in the day, you could choose if you wanted to live in a big town, a small town, a camp, or as an Eve just by using /die a couple of times. Now it seems you can only play in a big town unless you get really lucky and spawn as an Eve. Surely there are still people who prefer starting their own village, so I have no idea why Jason has limited it to 4 families at a time. This game really was better at the start...

Noobs are fine, but noobs that don't listen and refuse to learn, get on my nerves. Your ignorance will lead you to Donkey Town one day.

"Hugs from grandma"
-Rose Winter

#5 2021-01-26 17:32:16

Uncreative Guy

Lots of things have changed to remove the freedom that the game once had.  You don't have the freedom to start your own town, or colonize, or have babies anywhere, or waste water.  The game is now more of a cycle to complete, and see what kind of story comes from this system that Jason has made for us, instead of a truly free experience.

I’m not creative enough to make a creative signature which explains my noncreative nickname of Uncreative Guy.

#6 2021-01-26 18:06:29

Bellium

The_Llamacorn wrote:

Well, that's disappointing. Back in the day, you could choose if you wanted to live in a big town, a small town, a camp, or as an Eve just by using /die a couple of times. Now it seems you can only play in a big town unless you get really lucky and spawn as an Eve. Surely there are still people who prefer starting their own village, so I have no idea why Jason has limited it to 4 families at a time. This game really was better at the start...

As someone who had two Eve lives recently, I wouldn't call it lucky, it's more just really boring as it's the most basic tech of banging a few rocks together. Oh, and hopping you actually get a child spawn so you're line doesn't die with you wasting 45 mins of your life. I don't understand how people enjoy Eve camps and the like, there's no real variation of what to do, just the same repetition to not die immediately every time, at least in cities food is sorted so you're free to do whatever you want (well thanks to all of Jason's ideas not "whatever" but still a lot of variety compared to being an Eve)

#7 2021-01-26 19:25:51

The_Llamacorn

As someone who had two Eve lives recently, I wouldn't call it lucky, it's more just really boring as it's the most basic tech of banging a few rocks together. Oh, and hopping you actually get a child spawn so you're line doesn't die with you wasting 45 mins of your life. I don't understand how people enjoy Eve camps and the like, there's no real variation of what to do, just the same repetition to not die immediately every time, at least in cities food is sorted so you're free to do whatever you want (well thanks to all of Jason's ideas not "whatever" but still a lot of variety compared to being an Eve)

Well in my opinion it's way more fun to actually have to struggle to survive than to have an abundance of food and nothing to worry about. When you're an Eve you actually have to work to do something, and real drama/stories often come from that, unlike when you just run around a town your whole life doing nothing. In my last life, I didn't even talk to anyone or do anything fun like trying to marry someone, the people just aren't nearly as fun in the game anymore, and there's never any griefers... I never meet any unique characters in the game trying to kidnap kids, sell shrooms, marry people, etc. etc. I don't even bond with my mother or children anymore, you just get taken care of for 3 years and then never talk again... I wish I could go back and play the old OHOL.

"Hugs from grandma"
-Rose Winter

#8 2021-01-26 19:48:27

Bellium

The_Llamacorn wrote:

Well in my opinion it's way more fun to actually have to struggle to survive than to have an abundance of food and nothing to worry about. When you're an Eve you actually have to work to do something, and real drama/stories often come from that, unlike when you just run around a town your whole life doing nothing. In my last life, I didn't even talk to anyone or do anything fun like trying to marry someone, the people just aren't nearly as fun in the game anymore, and there's never any griefers... I never meet any unique characters in the game trying to kidnap kids, sell shrooms, marry people, etc. etc. I don't even bond with my mother or children anymore, you just get taken care of for 3 years and then never talk again... I wish I could go back and play the old OHOL.

Hard to get a good story when stopping for too long can mean the death of the camp, and when drama comes down to someone luring like 3 bears which result in the camp's destruction because not enough arrows have been made/ arrows hidden away, isn't really great "drama". If you like playing farming sim every life no one is stopping you from doing it, just add more to the food pile ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, I run into plenty of fun character while playing, maybe you're just unlucky or not trying hard enough to make your own story.

#9 2021-01-26 23:20:52

DestinyCall

As a veteran, it is easy to lose track of the fun parts of this game, because you are trying too hard to get the real work done. 

If you want better stories, it is best to try to create them for yourself, rather than expecting other people to entertain you.  The game is not as supportive of roleplay as it once was, but if you find yourself in a stable village, there is nothing stopping you from building an obelisk in the center of town to worship the Goose God or looking around for willing woman to take as your wife.  Building a little house out of pine needles is super easy. 

Role-play opens up an endless array of unique lives and fun interactions.   Try staying in touch with your family members.
Consider looking for your mother when you reach adulthood.  Ask her if she needs any help.  Offer her something nice that you made as a gift.  Do the same thing with your kids.   Don't be a stranger.  Show an interest in their lives and do what you can to offer them a unique game experience.  Teach your kids an unusual skill, like fishing or buffalo hunting.  Show them how to make something they have never made before.   Give them jobs or quests.  Check back to see if your kids are still alive and happy before you die. 

This game can still be magical and emotionally weighty.   But the game mechanics don't really support interpersonal relationships, so you have to put in extra effort to develop them on your own time.

#10 2021-01-27 04:54:17

antking:]#

DestinyCall wrote:

As a veteran, it is easy to lose track of the fun parts of this game, because you are trying too hard to get the real work done. 

If you want better stories, it is best to try to create them for yourself, rather than expecting other people to entertain you.  The game is not as supportive of roleplay as it once was, but if you find yourself in a stable village, there is nothing stopping you from building an obelisk in the center of town to worship the Goose God or looking around for willing woman to take as your wife.  Building a little house out of pine needles is super easy. 

Role-play opens up an endless array of unique lives and fun interactions.   Try staying in touch with your family members.
Consider looking for your mother when you reach adulthood.  Ask her if she needs any help.  Offer her something nice that you made as a gift.  Do the same thing with your kids.   Don't be a stranger.  Show an interest in their lives and do what you can to offer them a unique game experience.  Teach your kids an unusual skill, like fishing or buffalo hunting.  Show them how to make something they have never made before.   Give them jobs or quests.  Check back to see if your kids are still alive and happy before you die. 

This game can still be magical and emotionally weighty.   But the game mechanics don't really support interpersonal relationships, so you have to put in extra effort to develop them on your own time.

Have to agree with you here, from my experiences the best lives come form connecting to other people and making connections, Most people from what I have seen people love to role play (if someone doesn't then don't bother them) and are willing to make an interweaving story that makes the world feel real. If you struggle with RP my best advise would be: "play your charter and not yourself"

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#11 2021-01-27 05:02:11

TheRubyCart

Bellium wrote:
The_Llamacorn wrote:

welcome to the forums!

You are amazing, you are loved, and have a good day to whoever might read this <3

Board footer