One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-01-26 07:16:11

Spoonwood

So /Die Just Seems To Get Worse and Worse

I found this post on reddit where the player wants to avoid becoming leader:

"I hate being the leader. I play this game to relax. I just want to cook and farm in peace. I have no idea about smithing nor anything that has to do with water!

Lately, I’ve been playing a lot because I have been using this game to escape the stress from real life. However, because I’ve been playing a lot, my genetic score keep increasing and I’m almost always leader. But I hate it!

In my last two games, I just decided to starve myself once I became leader. Is there anything I can do to lower the score? Or should I just stop playing altogether for awhile?"

Of course, the player gets advised to use /die, and appreciates the advice.  What else would you tell them that would make any sense given the current state of the game?

But really, this sort of thing just makes as another signal of how bad the /die system has been for this game.  Bones littering all sorts of places, before they decayed for 2 minutes.  Disappearing clothing.  Yes, those don't exist anymore.  But, the /die system has all sorts of problems like that.  Mothers picking up their child and then suddenly it's gone.  The ugliness of baby bones.  They still take up space.  The confusion players have had as to why their child died in game (did the baby starve or use /die... not everyone understands the sound differences).

Something like a choice screen without any /die bones would have made a lot more sense, especially since the game can track the generation number of fertile mothers.  Or just not having /die bones at all.  They are a waste of space.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2021-01-26 07:18:06)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#2 2021-01-26 09:34:00

TheRubyCart

Re: So /Die Just Seems To Get Worse and Worse

i09k`qldcKEOPalfCMDSV DP;KSV, DKOVPHLFD;V; SD;KawdsadsaFN dsafvfav WAYWRSZKOPlast words?last words?last words?last words?last words?last words?last words?last words?last words?last words?last words?last words?last words?last words?last words?last words?last words?last words?last words?last words?last words?last words?last words?FAWUqf<Ba

You are amazing, you are loved, and have a good day to whoever might read this <3

#3 2021-01-26 09:57:33

Bellium

They could just say "I follow you" and boom, no longer leader and goes to the closest person

#4 2021-01-26 10:42:02

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

Bellium wrote:

They could just say "I follow you" and boom, no longer leader and goes to the closest person

Transferring leadership to a random person can completely destroy your town. I think it's better to let the game handle it, but if you don't wanna kill yourself at least transfer it to a person that is working and seems intelligent and not the begging 4 year old

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#5 2021-01-26 13:08:25

Laggy

Why must spoonwood tell others how to play the game? Autism? Realistically, I bet spoonwood drives down the road going 10 mph under the speed limit yelling at bikes passing him to slow down.

Spoonwood, stop telling other how they should enjoy their game and maybe get into local politics or something. Because you have basically become a MEME for someone who complains alot.

Last edited by Laggy (2021-01-26 13:14:48)

#6 2021-01-26 16:21:31

Spoonwood

Laggy wrote:

Why must spoonwood tell others how to play the game? Autism?

If you had understood this post, you wouldn't have asked this question here. 

I didn't tell anyone how they should play in this post.

This post was about the /die mechanic in general as a bad mechanic.

I also didn't ask for your advice or anyone else's advice.

Danish Clinch.

#7 2021-01-26 16:57:51

DestinyCall

Sounds to me like /die was the solution to another problem.   

Shouldn't this post be about the problems with leadership system or meme score?   If you take away /die, what would you tell that poor guy who doesn't want to lead?

#8 2021-01-26 20:04:35

Laggy

Seems like your obesesed with gene score, while no one else cares. When you die IRL noone will give a fart about being #1.

Also you think we should all live 60 minutes and not be able to /die. I'm 100% positive your on the spectrum Spoonwood. Good thing no one listens to you. lol.

Last edited by Laggy (2021-01-26 20:10:14)

#9 2021-01-26 20:09:14

Spoonwood

DestinyCall wrote:

Shouldn't this post be about the problems with leadership system or meme score?

No, because the problems with /die go beyond that.

DestinyCall wrote:

If you take away /die, what would you tell that poor guy who doesn't want to lead?

I wouldn't just take away /die.

Danish Clinch.

#10 2021-01-26 20:12:32

Spoonwood

Laggy wrote:

Seems like your obesesed with gene score, while no one else cares. When you die IRL noone will give fart a about being #1.

This post listed several problems with the /die mechanic as it has existed at various points in time.

Laggy wrote:

Also you think we should all live 60 minutes and not be able to /die. I'm 100% positive your on the spectrum Spoonwood.

This is an attempt at ad hominem argument.  My claims are no less true, even if what you say holds.  You clearly lack the courage or interest to make an argument solely based on its own merits.

Laggy wrote:

Good thing no one listens to you. lol.

People have read what I've said and responded to what I've said multiple times with enough signs that they have understood what I've said.  That shows that they listen to me.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2021-01-26 20:15:22)

Danish Clinch.

#11 2021-01-26 20:20:50

The_Anabaptist

Spoonwood wrote:

I found this post on reddit where the player wants to avoid becoming leader:

"I hate being the leader. I play this game to relax...

Well, I think I found the Reddit poster's first mistake.

But seriously (no, not really) only ANTIFA supporters use /die to escape their authoritarian responsibilities as the glorious leader of the proletariat.  Who will ration the goods for the masses if not you?

The_Anabaptist

#12 2021-01-26 20:32:29

Laggy

Ok I'll humor you. Lets say your right, the 2 minute sid baby corpses is too much.

Your not gonna bring up the fact when you die your corpse last for 2 freakin hours? Thats not a problem? But 2 minutes is?

You see how absurd your post becomes? You wrote a whole term paper on sid bb and reddit when the solution to all your problems is to curse said baby. Not your baby? Well make a macro that names babies with one click. Easy done, no term papers needed.

Spoonwood please understand, the more post you make about absurd topic the less impact you will have.

#13 2021-01-26 22:06:18

Spoonwood

Laggy wrote:

Lets say your right, the 2 minute sid baby corpses is too much.

Your not gonna bring up the fact when you die your corpse last for 2 freakin hours? Thats not a problem? But 2 minutes is?

You said it was a problem above.  /die bones are ugly.  The bones are annoying also.  They also can get dug into graves by people.  They have no function in game.  The other bones make for a problem also, but weren't the focus of this post.  If you read the post also, you would have read talk about aspects of /die which don't have the bones as the only issue.  E. G. mothers picking the child up and then suddenly the child is gone.  It's a bad use of time for the mother and the child in many cases, if say a suitable choice screen existed instead, which would enable a better use of time for both parties.

Laggy wrote:

You see how absurd your post becomes?

Nope, not one bit.  Both can be problems.  One problem doesn't negate the other.

Laggy wrote:

You wrote a whole term paper on sid bb and reddit when the solution to all your problems is to curse said baby.

The original post wasn't even close to a term paper.  More like notes one takes during a class.  I didn't say anything about cursing /die babies in this post, and wasn't implying such either.  It was, and is, about the game being bad in this respect, not about players being bad in some respect.

And no, cursing players using such isn't a solution.  The solution involves getting rid of /die or the game having conditions where players don't want to use /die, such as a suitable choice screen for players.  A few players using curses with respect to such players won't do such.

Laggy wrote:

Spoonwood please understand, the more post you make about absurd topic the less impact you will have.

Again, I didn't ask for your advice.  It isn't wanted either.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2021-01-26 22:08:47)

Danish Clinch.

#14 2021-01-26 22:24:34

DestinyCall

Laggy wrote:

You are asking the impossible of Spoon.   He can't stop making absurd posts, because he can't tell the difference between a reasonable argument and an absurd one.  They all look perfectly sensible and rational to him.  Even that one about the clear link between White Supremacy and the universal translator skill.  Or that other one about incest and rape in OHOL.  Or that other one about updates killing lineages.   I could keep going ....

To stop making absurd posts, he would just have to stop posting all together and then what would he do for fun?

#15 2021-01-27 06:59:50

Laggy

Solution = 2 minute /die timer?

I know Spoonwoods gonna be like ' insert complaint/agrument here'

#16 2021-01-27 07:19:00

DestinyCall

Before we can decide on a solution, I think we need to define the problem better.

I think /die serves an important function for players who are born into the wrong birth situation.  It is not inherently wrong to want a different spawn point.  You are going to be playing for up to an hour in whatever situation you are born into.    Is there any upside to making it unnecessarily difficult to reach the life you want?

Personally, I think the real problem is /die spamming, which is at least partially a result of the current spawn mechanics.  As a mother, nobody likes to deal with a pile of dead babies.  And as a /die baby, you don't want to return to the same mother over and over.   That is why you are using /die.

But right now, there is no escape from the circle of death.   You can /die endlessly (or close enough) and keep returning to the same mother, over and over.  Trapped.    The only way to break this cycle is for the mother to curse the spammer to prevent him from being re-born as her baby.  But this isn't an ideal solution either.  A player who /dies to get away from a bad spawn point in this life, might be an excellent worker under the right circumstances.  Just because they are picky about where they choose to be born, doesn't mean they are going to be a problem once they find the right spot to settle down.   Which means if you curse every /die baby, you will be limiting your future baby-making options and potentially depriving your future village of a useful player.   There needs to be a better way.

I think it was better when too many /dies would send you off to be an Eve, instead of sending you back to the same limited pool of potential mothers.   The large number of Eves was a problem for server population allocation, of course.   But I don't think the current solution to that problem - very limited Eve spawns - is all that fun.  I'd like to see a return of the good old days, when you could Eve by choice and you only had to /die once to be lineage-banned.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2021-01-27 08:42:29)

#17 2021-01-27 10:10:04

Spoonwood

Laggy wrote:

What are you talking about?

Danish Clinch.

#18 2021-01-27 18:34:43

The_Anabaptist

Maybe the game just needs an intro screen where you can checkbox which race you want to spawn as this go around.

The_Anabaptist

#19 2021-01-27 19:32:05

DestinyCall

That would probably help, but race is only part of the equation.   If we get customize load-out, I would want it to have a few more options.

Also, I would probably not put it on the intro screen.   The default load-out should be totally random.  But if you go into the gameplay options and poke around, there should be the option to select your spawn preferences.

For example, gender should be fully customizable.  Either random, always male or always female.  That would be an easy option to provide, since it doesn't rely on external factors.

Race is actually a lot harder because you might want to be black, but there are no black mothers available for you, either because they are not fertile or because you are blocked by curses.  What happens when you CAN'T go to any mothers of your selected race(s)?   Would you spawn as an Eve in DonkeyTown or would you get born as the "wrong" race or would you be unable to spawn at all?   I'm thinking that instead of check boxes, the game should ask you to assign a priority to each race, so it can try to match you with the best available option.

Also, I think it would be good to offer generation-based spawning options, for players who prefer primitive early villages or complex older towns.  You could select your preference for early families (less than 10 generations old), older families (more than 60 generations old) or something in between.

Lastly, there could be a toggle for selecting if you would like to be born as an Eve or if you would NEVER want to be born as an Eve.

#20 2021-01-27 20:00:17

The_Anabaptist

Considering that Jason has already resisted a simple option to say Eve or Not Eve in the past.  The more you add to the solution, the less likely it will be considered.  I would think a simple added statement of "if you didn't get your choice, it wasn't available." on the selection page next to the race checkboxes would suffice for the majority of /die situations.

The_Anabaptist

#21 2021-01-27 21:23:30

Eboy

The other side to this is I can never become a leader because I often /die. I do all the things to look after my kids but that only evens out the points I lose doing /die. Shouldn't be penalized so hard because I don't want to play in a garbage town.

The option to simply choose a family or to start your own would eliminate this.

Last edited by Eboy (2021-01-27 21:24:46)

#22 2021-01-27 21:30:55

Uncreative Guy

Getting rid of the race mechanics would get rid of the problem mostly.  I'd love to be leader every life, and I do everything I can to raise gene score, but then I want to dye clothes and either have to beg at the desert town for 15 minutes for someone to hopefully get me an alum, or I can just /die there.  Then I sometimes have to /die even more depending on what color I want.  Yellow, green, and black all require me to be brown.

I’m not creative enough to make a creative signature which explains my noncreative nickname of Uncreative Guy.

#23 2021-01-27 21:56:47

DestinyCall

The_Anabaptist wrote:

Considering that Jason has already resisted a simple option to say Eve or Not Eve in the past.  The more you add to the solution, the less likely it will be considered.
The_Anabaptist

I don't worry about what Jason might like or not like when I make suggestions.   That is far too limiting.   I just worry about what I think would make OHOL into a better game. 

In fact, I pretty much assume anything I suggest will never get implemented.  It is the most likely outcome for any player suggestion, even if you try to pander to the developer's preferences.   But if Jason DOES decide to offer spawn options in the future, I'd much rather see it done right, not as a weak compromise that fails to fix the underlying problem in a meaningful way.

If the goal is to reduce /die, then spawn options should include more than just race selection.  After all, the problem of /die spam has been around longer than race restrictions and I am sure it would still be an issue if they were removed.   It is a multi-factorial issue.

Another option for reducing problems associated with /die babies and sudden sky babies would be visible pregnancy.   Instead of being dropped on a random mother as a baby, you are given a brief window to observe your mother "from the womb", before being born.  During this one-minute pregnancy, you could choose to /die if you don't like what you see.   And your mother could also use /die, if she wasn't ready to be a mother.      Once you were born, the /die command no longer works for either party and you are committed to a new life.

#24 2021-01-28 07:30:42

Laggy

Spoonwood wrote:
Laggy wrote:

After using /die you have to wait 2 minutes to respawn. Pretty sure everyone got that but you.

#25 2021-01-28 11:50:19

Spoonwood

Laggy wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:
Laggy wrote:

After using /die you have to wait 2 minutes to respawn. Pretty sure everyone got that but you.

People (as a group) likely end up playing less with something like that.  At least, that's a clear risk.

Danish Clinch.

Board footer