One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-01-10 09:46:18

miskas

If you split your family you are killing those you left behind.

It's not about giving birth to more bbs, It is about Inheritance.

If you give birth to a high gene score child this child won't only inherit the leadership but will also inherit the homeland city Property. (that's 1k far away)
This is highly disruptive, You deny your homeland a Leader that manage the city and also Access to OIL,CAR,Horses and anything that's important and should be in the leaders property.

If you remove the fence and make a new property, as long as the family is split there is a chance the new leader would be 1k far away.
If you make a family property a griefer or anyone of your family can enter and grief, loose, mismanage valuable for survival items.

There is no solution to that problem you created for your homeland.

Last edited by miskas (2021-01-10 09:54:21)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#2 2021-01-10 14:53:58

DestinyCall

Re: If you split your family you are killing those you left behind.

There must be a solution.   

Have you tried building TWO property fences?   One to keep griefers out and the other to keep babies in.

#3 2021-01-10 16:10:19

miskas

The only practical solution I can think of is to stop having a split family and all fertile women merge in one village.  But this won't be always voluntary, you cant prevent a resplit and it's not healthy for the gameplay.

Clearly, this is an inheritance game issue, I will report it on GitHub.

Food value stats

#4 2021-01-10 17:52:04

DestinyCall

Yeah, I think the inheritance algorithm needs to account for distance, so if there are two candidates with high gene score, the closer one would get leadership when the leader dies.

This would allow families to split and form separate leadership structures as long as the leader died close to home.    There would still be a danger of crossing the streams if the leader traveled to the split village and died there.   But since the game sees "families" not "villages", there is no perfect solution.   

Alternatively, you could link leadership to some kind of semi-permanent structure, like the village well, bell tower, or a special village naming waystone.  That would allow the game to "see" the location of your village and distinguish it from satellites.    There would need to be a way to "claim" the location for your family, like building a well or constructing a naming stone.  Then leadership could be passed to the best candidate in the appropriate family within x tiles of the village center.

I think this would completely solve the inheritence issue.  But it would also require the addition of a completely novel mechanic and significant restructuring of core functions, like leadership and property inheritance around the location of the village instead of assuming that "same family = same village".

Last edited by DestinyCall (2021-01-10 18:11:03)

#5 2021-01-11 08:50:16

miskas

For Inheritance we can use the property gates as reference .
only people that are 200 tiles away from the gate are candidates for inheriting that gate.

For leadership you can do the same , people that are 200 tiles away from leader are candidates for inheriting leadership.
If leader traveled without following another player back home then it is his choice to transfer leadership wherever he dies.

Food value stats

#6 2021-01-11 16:43:55

DestinyCall

Personally, I would add two checks.  First check looks for a valid candidate within 150 tiles of the leader/gate.   If that check fails, second check looks for a candidate within 400 tiles.   

This would keep leadership from being lost if the leader was off gathering iron outside town or something, but generally favor granting inheritance to nearby people.

#7 2021-01-11 18:43:07

The_Anabaptist

I realize I haven't played in a while, so I'm not up to snuff on leadership and succession.  Can one not follow / unfollow leaders anymore?  Isn't this as simple as having two leaders & two distinct family subgroups?

Time to scrap another outdated system?

The_Anabaptist

#8 2021-01-11 19:06:53

DestinyCall

As I understand it, the problem is two-fold.   Property gates are inherited by your leader and leadership passes down to the best candidate among his followers.   If your family splits into two distinct villages, separated by a great distance, you can end up with a "leader" who lives in a village far away from your village.  And that leader will have control over the property gates that secure valuable items for your village.   The leadership inheritance is important, because gene-score acts as a kind of filter to keep property ownership out of the hands of incompetent or malicious players.    But when your family is split up into two more more villages, the leader may have followers who are living far away from the main village.    When the leader dies, this means that the best candidate for leadership might be a two year old child born 1000+ tiles away from your village.    Which means that until that kid dies, the main village can't access his property to get oil or whatever.  And he can't open the gate without traveling all the way back to the original village. 

The original village can "unfollow" the distant leader, if they understand what is happening, but the problem of property ownership will persist.   In fact, unfollowing the leader makes it worse, because if everyone in the main village unfollows him, then ownership will pass to one of his other followers instead of returning to the main village at some point.     So basically, you would have to unfollow, form a new leadership structure, then wait for the property fence to decay to regain access to the village stash.   

It can be done, but it is annoying, time-consuming, and unintuitive.    Never splitting your family is probably the "best" solution from a player perspective, but impossible to enforce, especially since splits can occur as a result of accidents and griefing.

#9 2021-01-11 20:33:17

Starknight_One

DestinyCall wrote:

There must be a solution.   

Have you tried building TWO property fences?   One to keep griefers out and the other to keep babies in.

*starts planting fuschia to take advantage of the shade*

#10 2021-01-12 01:13:43

OneOfMany

miskas wrote:

There is no solution to that problem you created for your homeland.

If you want to split, follow yourself and start a new leadership chain. Problem solved.

Also, bad leaders live thousands of tiles a way. If your leader is living in a different town, you need a new leader. Elect one or campaign yourself.

Edit: Maybe I should of read the thread out before I commented, but I got distracted by all the fence talk.

Last edited by OneOfMany (2021-01-12 01:21:51)

I am a dirty, dirty roleplayer. I roleplay in the game, sometimes on the forum and if I'm being honest, a bit in real life. I can't help myself. I'm a dirty, dirty roleplayer. Don't hate the player, hate the game. smile

#11 2021-01-12 02:16:57

Spoonwood

DestinyCall wrote:

If your family splits into two distinct villages, separated by a great distance, you can end up with a "leader" who lives in a village far away from your village.

It doesn't need to hold that the family lives in two distinct villages.  Before biome bands, I had traveled between towns in a good number of lives, almost always to younger camps as I've preferred them, and had inherited leadership far away from home (and I wasn't going home).  I think I've seen it on streams also that the leader ends up far away sometimes.  It did get reported as an issue that leadership got inherited when far away from home.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#12 2021-01-12 15:36:29

miskas

Its not a leadership inheritance problem its an Ownership inheritance problem.

I searched owner in discord updates and this is what discord says.

jason wrote:

When the last owner dies, property is automatically inherited by the oldest direct offspring of the owner, and if none exist, then the closest, oldest relative of the the owner.
05/07/2020

https://discord.com/channels/3282153002 … 0209011854
Is this how the ownership inheritance mechanic works? Cause I don't see any gene score accounted in that.

If this is it then inheritance in a split family might be a solvable problem in the end tongue
Whenever you realize that the city's property Owner is 1k away and also the new leader is 1k away, you destroy a part of city's property , make a new door and grant ownership to a bunch of teen females. (when they die their oldest kid will take ownership)

There also ways to fix hierarchy through forming new ones.

Can someone confirm on how Ownership inheritance works right now? does it account for Gene score? Does the leader also inherits ownership of the gate most of the times?

Last edited by miskas (2021-01-12 15:40:38)

Food value stats

#13 2021-01-12 16:26:57

DestinyCall

I thought that your private property was inherited by your leader when you die?   If that not true, private property is not secured from falling into the hands of griefers.   

The whole point of using secure storage in towns is that ownership of the property is passed from leader to leader and leadership will naturally pass to someone with a high gene score (unless people intentionally intervene).   This means that items put in the secure storage will generally not fall into the "wrong hands", since keeping a high gene score requires playing in a way that keeps your family more or less alive.   If property ownership simply passes to your oldest kid or relative, it is a total crap shoot.   It would just be a matter of time before a griefer or idiot gets the keys to the city.

Board footer