One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-01-01 10:58:41

Berry High Priest

Happy new year, now that is out of the way. Lets talk about sheep.

The sheep killing mechanics in the game are way to simplified,
this in a sense that people are able to kill sheep way to easaly and this allows behaviour like griefing the entire sheep pen.
Now i dont know if anyone has some kind of homestead experience but doing a slaughter is quite tiresome.
Maybe more tiresome as cutting down a tree.

So this is my first complaint for the new year,
stop sheep slaughter by giving it a hunger penalty like chopping wood!

Kind regards,
Your friendly gooseberry gentleman neighbor.

#2 2021-01-01 12:47:47

D3mon1cblack

Re: Happy new year, now that is out of the way. Lets talk about sheep.

killing sheep with hungry work has been  in game it also gave us the 5 mutton instead of the old 4. not sure why it got removed. but i do know it didnt stop ppl from killing all sheep. Also why do we still get 5 mutton?

Last edited by D3mon1cblack (2021-01-01 12:48:16)

im eve groot or eve degroot and if i dont care and spawn next to an item ill call myself eve (itemname)
420 mushroom cultist and proud of it!

#3 2021-01-01 12:58:20

D3mon1cblack

also from a grievers perspective (mind you i dont cause grief) i rather have hungry work added back cus how is wasting 10 pips of food for killing a sheep not harmful? like lets say you have 5 sheep and ill eat 50 pips worth of food just to kill them all. how is that not better in a grievers point of view?
And last but not least happy new year ppl!

im eve groot or eve degroot and if i dont care and spawn next to an item ill call myself eve (itemname)
420 mushroom cultist and proud of it!

#4 2021-01-01 15:58:32

Kilian

Killing all sheep is not griefing, killing the domestic mouflon might be and is in most situations.

#5 2021-01-01 17:45:39

DestinyCall

If the mouflon is still alive, you haven't killed all the sheep, now have you?

#6 2021-01-01 19:45:00

Kilian

DestinyCall wrote:

If the mouflon is still alive, you haven't killed all the sheep, now have you?

The domestic mouflon is not a sheep - but it can be used for making new sheep.

I was pointing out that difference because I was cursed yesterday from a player just for constantly killing the sheep for making sheep skins for the town's naked inhabitants, even though I explained said player that the domestic mouflon is making free lambs. The player ran away directly after the curse (kinda bad manners, whatever).

Last edited by Kilian (2021-01-01 19:45:51)

#7 2021-01-01 21:04:51

fug

Jason removed hungry work from killing mouflons because we have fences. Jason's answer is always use a fence kek

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#8 2021-01-01 22:26:16

DestinyCall

Mouflon are a type of wild sheep found in eastern Europe, Turkey and Iran.    It is still a sheep.   Don't let the weird name confuse you.  My point is if you are going to kill ALL the sheep, that would  have to included the mouflon, because mouflon are sheep too.   Sheep griefing generally involves murdering all the sheep to disrupt village production.

That being said, I agree that there is nothing inherently wrong with killing extra adult sheep.  They are not needed for reproduction, unless the mouflon is missing or dead, and it is usually better to produce more sheep, rather than feeding adults when making fleece, since it provides food at no additional cost. 

In fact, slaughtering sheep is an important task for the village shepherd.   The mouflon should be spared because of the free babies, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that it is ALWAYS griefing when someone kills the mouflon.   I think it is frequently done out of ignorance about the mouflon's special role in sheep production. 

The way that sheep care works in OHOL is far from intuitive.  I can't blame people for messing it up on accident.   I once encountered a new player trying to stab a wild horse with a knife.   I noticed him killing the sheep, so I sheared a few to stop him from killing all of them.   Then he started chasing the horse around, trying to stab it.   The horse was penned in with the sheep, because our village was pretty low tech and we didn't have anywhere to hitch it.    I asked him what he was doing and he explained that he wanted to eat the horse.  I explained that horse were for riding, not eating.  Then I asked if he wanted to learn how to bake mutton pies and got him away from our surviving sheep before he stabbed them all.

Sigh ... noobs.

#9 2021-01-01 23:51:59

Kilian

DestinyCall wrote:

That being said, I agree that there is nothing inherently wrong with killing extra adult sheep.  They are not needed for reproduction, unless the mouflon is missing or dead, and it is usually better to produce more sheep, rather than feeding adults when making fleece, since it provides food at no additional cost. 

In fact, slaughtering sheep is an important task for the village shepherd.   The mouflon should be spared because of the free babies, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that it is ALWAYS griefing when someone kills the mouflon.   I think it is frequently done out of ignorance about the mouflon's special role in sheep production.

We agree here, completely.

DestinyCall wrote:

The way that sheep care works in OHOL is far from intuitive.  I can't blame people for messing it up on accident.   I once encountered a new player trying to stab a wild horse with a knife.   I noticed him killing the sheep, so I sheared a few to stop him from killing all of them.   Then he started chasing the horse around, trying to stab it.   The horse was penned in with the sheep, because our village was pretty low tech and we didn't have anywhere to hitch it.    I asked him what he was doing and he explained that he wanted to eat the horse.  I explained that horse were for riding, not eating.  Then I asked if he wanted to learn how to bake mutton pies and got him away from our surviving sheep before he stabbed them all.

Sigh ... noobs.

This story is actually pretty cute.

Board footer