One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-01-01 03:29:32

Spoonwood

Does This Game Pander To The Female Ego?

A while back Jason said:

jasonrohrer wrote:

I can improve the crafting hints or whatever, but the fundamental problem stands.  Most people are not interested in learning the 25 steps it takes to make a fire.  Most people aren't interested in learning to make 3000 (or 10,000, eventually) objects.

That was probably a huge design misstep on my part.  I was looking at existing crafting games, and thinking, "oh, you guys like these crazy crafting trees?  Well, I'm going to give you the craziest one you've ever seen."  I was pandering, because I'm not personally into games with obscenely complex crafting trees.  My eyes glaze over, and I think, "I'm not going to bother to learn all this."

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 825#p89825

Now, I don't recall myself or anyone else around here using the word 'pandering' before that.  I wouldn't recommend using it in general, though maybe it doesn't have quite the negative connotations that I think it does.  Again, Jason, used this word about himself and his own behavior previously.

The fertility mechanics come as clear.  Women get to reproduce all by their own selves.  No partner is needed. 

The attitude seems: you go girl!  You don't need no woman or man!  You don't need anyone else even!  You get to have it all!

Isn't that sort of thinking a rather hyper-inflated view of what women can do?

It seems extremely unrealistic to think of women as being that way in the future or now, even though, yea single motherhood will continue in the real world, plenty of men will pay a bill for child support for those women showing otherwise.  Or those women get state assistance.

Really, if we're being honest does there exist a serious way that the game does not pander to the female ego in that the women can do all of the reproducing by their own self, get all of the credit for families, and every woman is somehow just as strong as every man?

Anyways, Jason used the word pandering, so I thought it would be fair to ask at least.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2021-01-02 21:02:19)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#2 2021-01-01 04:05:03

DestinyCall

Re: Does This Game Pander To The Female Ego?

**facepalm**

#3 2021-01-01 04:07:58

DestinyCall

picard-facepalm.jpg

#4 2021-01-01 07:40:15

Dodge

lmao

#5 2021-01-01 08:34:50

fug

You unironically need a hobby.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#6 2021-01-01 08:36:34

Ruben

I find you to be scary, spoon.

#7 2021-01-01 10:31:09

CatX

Hi Spoonwood.

I'm just one woman, so take this for what it's worth, but I'll attempt to give you an answer. smile

I have not played the game in over a year I think. I come to the forums from time to time to see what's new, but I haven't been inspired to play again yet.

There wasn't really one specific reason why I quit playing, at least not one that I recall. I just moved on to other games and had more fun with them. I found a multiplayer game where I can build relations with other characters, and I've played many single player games since, like Stardew Valley which keeps producing new updates I want to test.

There are varied reasons why I'm not inspired to try OHOL again. In part it's the memory of griefers and seeing threads here that indicate they're still about. Reading it just makes other games more alluring to me. Then it's the memory of all the berries I picked, soiled and watered. I don't want to pick another bowl of berries. (At least not now.) From what I can tell there's still no technology that makes berry picking not necessary. (I remember I tried building animal pens near big patches of wild berry bushes to try to make less farming necessary.) And finally, it seems there's still no way for a mother to carry her baby in a baby sling. It's a technology I strongly longed for when I played.

(I mean, what woman doesn't dream of the ability to take her baby to work? big_smile But seriously, I think it would have many social benefits.)

I still consider OHOL one of the most innovative games I've ever played though, so I keep coming back for news. I'll probably try it out again sometime in the future, but right now other games are more interesting.

Now to your more specific points:

Fatherhood: Fatherhood could be fun if implemented, but I don't mind the world working as is in this aspect. I think it's a perfectly fine design choice that in this world, somehow females can create babies on their own. In Minecraft, if you have two cows, they can make a baby, but are they male or female? Who knows? Games do strange things. They don't have to reflect real life to still be enjoyable and expand our horizon. Also, I have roleplayed having fathers for my babies in OHOL, it worked just fine. My main problem with the lack of fatherhood had more to do with the lack of contraceptives (you can say I'm pro choice wink ) but from what I can tell there are ways now for women not to have babies. I consider that a move in the right direction, but of course I don't talk from experience.

As for the technology: I never learned the most advanced tech when I played. I did spend a fair amount of time playing by myself trying to build up a city and make the different items, focusing on water tech. I thought it a little sad that you had to play a multiplayer game alone in order to learn everything you needed in the game. But I understand it's a difficult balance to make right, and it's not what made me stop playing.

And finally: "Isn't that sort of thinking a rather hyper-inflated view of what women can do?"

No. Spoonwood. The women in game aren't necessarily like women in real life. They can make babies without men! Who knows how their genes differ from earth women's. So that's the in game explanation, if you need one.

As for the out of game explanation: Women are quite capable, my friend. <3

Have fun playing!

Last edited by CatX (2021-01-01 10:32:49)

#8 2021-01-01 19:25:40

Twisted

Spoonwood is just baiting to argue, don't waste your time by giving his posts attention.

#9 2021-01-01 19:39:26

sigmen4020

roll

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#10 2021-01-01 20:35:33

Spoonwood

Twisted wrote:

Spoonwood is just baiting to argue, don't waste your time by giving his posts attention.

I had read every single comment, and seen every single emote up until this point.  I even reread CatX's response a second time, at least some parts of it.

If I had been baiting to argue, wouldn't it have made sense to respond to a single comment before this point in time?

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

Board footer