One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2020-12-30 01:15:00

Melonaise

Re: Oil Depletion in the Band Update

Another option could be making it possible to allow other families to drill for oil in the artic -- just like with fishing holes, if I'm in a young artic fam that doesn't have bandwidth / tech to drill for oil, if I can just make some packed snow tiles in the area when a more advanced fam comes to us looking for oil. Or I could go to a tarry spot north of their town and make an accessible tarry spot for them. Mostly so more people can work on the problem. If you don't want to let any other fam in, just don't make the packed tiles.

In general the civ the game is modeling is still pre-industrial regardless of the existence of engines / cars. The closest thing is the plow/sprinkler system, which combined with rail lines could mimic "modern" (circa 1800s) farming. (Random thought -- horse plow! so we don't need yet another engine). For the most part, resources ARE trucked/trained/flown in from remote areas in real life. Being able to have enough close by only works across many generations in a few cases -- living near the ocean / major river (since they constantly renew), or being nomadic/semi-nomadic.

#27 2020-12-30 12:03:33

Rookwood

Melonaise wrote:

Another option could be making it possible to allow other families to drill for oil in the artic -- just like with fishing holes

This doesn't really solve the problem as I see it.  Mango says I was way off on the amount of oil there is now, but regardless, I still think the problem is there just isn't enough oil on the map.  It's not really an issue of people not getting the oil that is there due to biome restrictions.

I still like my desert oil idea, but a modification of Sage's idea is that the North band for ginger could be infinitely northward, so arctic stretches forever in the north direction.  And the south band could be infinite desert southward but also add oil to the desert.  I think that would be cool and make some sort of sense geographically.  smile

Last edited by Rookwood (2020-12-30 12:05:23)

#28 2020-12-30 17:31:02

DestinyCall

Rookwood wrote:

I still like my desert oil idea, but a modification of Sage's idea is that the North band for ginger could be infinitely northward, so arctic stretches forever in the north direction.  And the south band could be infinite desert southward but also add oil to the desert.  I think that would be cool and make some sort of sense geographically.  smile

This would also make it much easier for new players to locate the magical band where we are supposed to build our villages, since endless desert/tundra would be a clear indication that you have left the habitable zone.

#29 2020-12-31 10:14:35

NoTruePunk

An alternative would be to make the entire upper portion of the map arctic. So the band starts at the edge of the mountain band and just goes north, west and east endlessly. Might be interesting for one fam to break the horizontal rule and occasionally be isolated in the far north, depending on that family's needs and choices.

Oil in the desert would be welcome.

Board footer