One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-25 07:40:59

devlinwyatt

Current state of the games [Rant]

I didn't mind the new updates at first but my attitude has changed. I no long look forward to playing because of the rapid changes to game play mechanics.

I'm not having fun anymore because the game is no longer simple. It's supposed to be hard, not complex. I liked the apocalypse update because it gave me the chance to be someone who started the civilization off. The only people who seem to complete the tech tree are the ones who keep re-spawning in the same area and live multiple lives working on the same goals. I don't like being born or even wandering into these abandoned cities because there's nothing worth doing. Look at me I've got a crown and a horse that someone else obtained! Look at my ridiculous stone wall that isn't finished and serves no purpose! What's this locked door? Sorry you can't get in because some asshole ran away with the key and died behind a tree in the middle of nowhere.

My current breaking point was trying to make compost. Normally it was just reed and mashed carrots + berries, add water and wait. Then it was add worms to the wet compost... Fine. Now I have to use straw instead of reed and I have to shovel dung onto the pile? This is way to obscene for something that humans never had to do. People didn't carry baskets of dirt to grow crops, they tilled the dirt that was already there until all the nutrients were used up!

Why are you trying to make it impossible to farm? All I want to do when I play is to provide for my family, advance the tech a bit, and not step on a rattle snake. Now I don't have time for any of it! I'm sick of having to relearn how to farm. All the best locations are already populated with old cities and it's just too boring. I want to start a town, or add to one, and when the last person dies I wish that whole town was just wiped clean.

And speaking of items decaying, how are pies and carrots staying edible after hundreds of years?!?

I'm going to have to take a break from the game now because it's a hot mess. I want to play it again if the mechanics are ever cleaned.

Last edited by devlinwyatt (2018-04-25 07:46:10)

#2 2018-04-25 09:10:55

Kinrany

Re: Current state of the games [Rant]

Why are you trying to make it impossible to farm? All I want to do when I play is to provide for my family, advance the tech a bit, and not step on a rattle snake. Now I don't have time for any of it!

me_irl

#3 2018-04-25 09:40:50

rodrigo

Compost are easier now, and selfsustainable, but people don't know how to make compost and don't know how to focus in sheep early on.

They keep overpopulating without making it good for living first. That's why they all perish.

And when they do good, disconect or some griefer take down everything.

I don't know why they try to griefe. It's so easy to do it that is boring. I already found a carrot sponge, someone who do a knife or bow and try to kill everyone.... I'm not even mad, it's so pointless and I can't understand.

#4 2018-04-25 10:24:13

TrustyWay

Most of the playerbase left the game since the update, jason is making up his thing, okay, but I don't think he realizes that he litteraly kills the fun down in the street with a poking knife.

Game became harder,  but much more very limited

Last edited by TrustyWay (2018-04-25 10:31:41)

#5 2018-04-25 16:45:20

lostlandofcarrots

Honestly, for a few weeks now, every update feels like "Here's a new and more irritating way to... farm carrots!"

(This last one was "Here's a new and more irritating way to... maintain everything! Oh and also farm carrots." I guess that could be called branching out. In a really negative sense.)

I honestly miss the way the game was before the apocalypse. Yes, it was all the same towns. Yes, it was boring sometimes. But I lived so many memorable lives. There was roleplaying, and trade, and even warfare. Then the apoc happened, and people were scrambling to survive. Then things started balancing out again, and becoming interesting once more, and right before decay it was really starting to become enjoyable, a nice balance between challenging and fun gameplay, and then bam! Your village now crumbles from under you as you work. Have fun spending 60 mins making 200 baskets and 100 stone hoes. Because it's supposed to feel like a chore, not a game.

Oh, and if you're a newbie, forget being able to learn from your mistakes. Because everything is so punishing, and all resources so limited, one little slip-up of yours is gonna doom your entire settlement. And if, somehow, miraculously, you and your relatives don't starve to death, you're still gonna end up shot or stabbed, because we gotta repel new players like the infestation they are, you guys!

But yeah, let's balance the game around the playstyle of power gamers. How dare you assume it's supposed to be fun or, god forbid, relaxing to play? Didn't you know it's supposed to become your second job?!

When I bought this 3 weeks ago, I was promised an ever expanding tech tree. The challenge was supposed to have been learning new stuff every week, not having to relearn how to do the same old boring stuff over and over.

#6 2018-04-25 16:55:22

Malawi

Only thing that's really needed is to turn down the decay a few notches. Would also be nice to be able to repair stuff. 

And this "everything runs out" thing should be abandoned. It should be replaced with "everything runs out if not maintained" Steel tools should be recyclable. Maybee not one to one, but at least two to one. 

Harder composting is ok I guess, as long as it's in principle infinite.

So basically - slower decay and ability to grow trees and repair/recycle.

#7 2018-04-25 17:00:41

Turnipseed

Malawi wrote:

Only thing that's really needed is to turn down the decay a few notches. Would also be nice to be able to repair stuff. 

And this "everything runs out" thing should be abandoned. It should be replaced with "everything runs out if not maintained" Steel tools should be recyclable. Maybee not one to one, but at least two to one. 

Harder composting is ok I guess, as long as it's in principle infinite.

So basically - slower decay and ability to grow trees and repair/recycle.

Its technically more infinite to compost now than before cause sheep poop (while hard to get) can be infinite. Wish i could tie a sheep to a pole though... making a pen from scratch can take your whole life, and can be destroyed in a minute with a flint chip...

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#8 2018-04-25 17:05:12

mulgara

I like the new compost system. There was very little incentive to diversify from carrot farming before. With so many better food sources out there, a carrot farm shouldn't be the end game. A carrot farm should be a small part of a town's food production.

#9 2018-04-25 18:10:10

YAHG

Mutton pie farming is strongest strat for your water and skewers atm I think.

Poo only comes from sheps that are growing up and sheps have multiple babies
so you can keep feeding babi sheps and use their poo to plant 1 or more beri bush
and some carror for the bowl. You even have some extra soils to expand your farm
and or milks. The end result is spare grain (need straw for every compost cycle)
and a grown shep and 2 soils.

This means you can make FOUR mutton pies EVERY COMPOST... Yes true <3 Poop
farming is stronk meta compost is also cheap on skewers as neither beries nor whet
need skewers/hoes..

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#10 2018-04-25 18:46:22

lostlandofcarrots

mulgara wrote:

I like the new compost system. There was very little incentive to diversify from carrot farming before. With so many better food sources out there, a carrot farm shouldn't be the end game. A carrot farm should be a small part of a town's food production.

The compost system is cool. It's also realistic, for those into that sort of thing, although this game in general is pretty far from realism. I also agree that a carrot farm shouldn't be the only thing that feeds an entire town. But the thing is, this game is lacking in content. Why should we only be able to farm carrots, berries and wheat? Why not add the ability to farm onions (which already exist!), or tomatoes, or potatoes, or cabbage? What about other fruit and vegetables? What about eventually adding more kinds of animals? Make it so that a farm with only one kind of veggie/fruit can help kick-start a base, but in order for a larger settlement to evolve from it, people have to start farming more stuff. Ideally, they would also have a choice on what kind of stuff to farm: one town could specialize in some types of veggies/fruit, another in others. Hopefully, trade would also evolve from that. And this philosophy could also apply in animals/meat, tools, etc.

By the way, I think decay was a good idea. I supported the idea before it was implemented, and I still support it now. But the mistake was, in my opinion, that it was implemented without the ability to repair. Granted, you'd still be making the same items when repairing, but at least you'd be going through fewer steps and consuming less resources to do it. And the initial effort you put into crafting the thing would mean something. And then we'd still have this: "Proudly using your grandfather's ax, and then passing it on to your own grandchild as the end of your life nears," and this time it would be even more meaningful, because you also have to maintain the ax to keep and pass it on.

What drew me to this game was the promise of family and civilization building. The concept of crafting something that others could later use. But lately it just feels like nothing you ever create matters. You could say that passing on your knowledge is what should matter, but communication is so limited in this game, that it's close to impossible to do so. It's disheartening, and depressing, and it's far from the heartwarming experience I remember when I first started playing.

I don't think anyone wants this game to be a carrot farming simulator, nor for it to become too easy. But changing the way stuff works all the time, forcing players to relearn the same stuff every week, and then taking everything they've accomplished away and forcing them to rebuild it from scratch is no fun either. No matter how many ways you come up with to farm carrots, the end result is the same: carrots. No matter how many times I'm forced to make a steel ax, in the end of the day, it's still a steel ax. There's no novelty or variance. There's no new things to do or discover. And in the end, nothing we do or create ever matters, because it's all gonna be wiped out, and we'll have to remake it, forever stuck in a loop of an age of stone-and-a-bit-of-steel. And that, I believe, is what makes a game stagnate, and eventually die out.

(This got far longer than I expected it to, lol.)

#11 2018-04-25 18:54:43

Go! Bwah!

rodrigo wrote:

Compost are easier now, and selfsustainable, but people don't know how to make compost and don't know how to focus in sheep early on.

Oh, is that how you do it nowadays?

Right now it feels like the crafting system is procedurally generated - which could actually make for a fun game if it's what people bought into, but this one seemed like it would be more stable.

I like to go by "Eve Scripps" and name my kids after medications smile

#12 2018-04-25 19:02:19

breezeknight

YAHG wrote:

Mutton pie farming is strongest strat for your water and skewers atm I think.

Poo only comes from sheps that are growing up and sheps have multiple babies
so you can keep feeding babi sheps and use their poo to plant 1 or more beri bush
and some carror for the bowl. You even have some extra soils to expand your farm
and or milks. The end result is spare grain (need straw for every compost cycle)
and a grown shep and 2 soils.

This means you can make FOUR mutton pies EVERY COMPOST... Yes true <3 Poop
farming is stronk meta compost is also cheap on skewers as neither beries nor whet
need skewers/hoes..

makes sense

i should care in the next times i spawn to learn how to make compost with sheep dung

the only problem with mutton is, it needs the knowledge to cook it, most players just don't know,
even more complicated gets if you make mutton pies
but
every noob knows how to pull a carrot out of the ground, even if it was meant for seeds lol

also if the populace is low there is usually not enough people to care for all the steps necessary
carrot farms collapse despite the fact that it's easy to maintain

- - -

Last edited by breezeknight (2018-04-25 19:03:01)

#13 2018-04-25 19:05:03

kubassa
Banned

The carrot farms collapse now because there is no way to store carrots due to the basket decay. The ground 5 tiles away are cluttered with carrots and everyone say "F this nonsense".

Last edited by kubassa (2018-04-25 19:06:17)

I got huge ballz.

#14 2018-04-25 19:15:41

Nimue

lostlandofcarrots wrote:
mulgara wrote:

The compost system is cool. It's also realistic, for those into that sort of thing, although this game in general is pretty far from realism. I also agree that a carrot farm shouldn't be the only thing that feeds an entire town. But the thing is, this game is lacking in content. Why should we only be able to farm carrots, berries and wheat? Why not add the ability to farm onions (which already exist!), or tomatoes, or potatoes, or cabbage? What about other fruit and vegetables? What about eventually adding more kinds of animals? Make it so that a farm with only one kind of veggie/fruit can help kick-start a base, but in order for a larger settlement to evolve from it, people have to start farming more stuff. Ideally, they would also have a choice on what kind of stuff to farm: one town could specialize in some types of veggies/fruit, another in others. Hopefully, trade would also evolve from that. And this philosophy could also apply in animals/meat, tools, etc.

By the way, I think decay was a good idea. I supported the idea before it was implemented, and I still support it now. But the mistake was, in my opinion, that it was implemented without the ability to repair. Granted, you'd still be making the same items when repairing, but at least you'd be going through fewer steps and consuming less resources to do it. And the initial effort you put into crafting the thing would mean something. And then we'd still have this: "Proudly using your grandfather's ax, and then passing it on to your own grandchild as the end of your life nears," and this time it would be even more meaningful, because you also have to maintain the ax to keep and pass it on.

What drew me to this game was the promise of family and civilization building. The concept of crafting something that others could later use. But lately it just feels like nothing you ever create matters. You could say that passing on your knowledge is what should matter, but communication is so limited in this game, that it's close to impossible to do so. It's disheartening, and depressing, and it's far from the heartwarming experience I remember when I first started playing.

I don't think anyone wants this game to be a carrot farming simulator, nor for it to become too easy. But changing the way stuff works all the time, forcing players to relearn the same stuff every week, and then taking everything they've accomplished away and forcing them to rebuild it from scratch is no fun either. No matter how many ways you come up with to farm carrots, the end result is the same: carrots. No matter how many times I'm forced to make a steel ax, in the end of the day, it's still a steel ax. There's no novelty or variance. There's no new things to do or discover. And in the end, nothing we do or create ever matters, because it's all gonna be wiped out, and we'll have to remake it, forever stuck in a loop of an age of stone-and-a-bit-of-steel. And that, I believe, is what makes a game stagnate, and eventually die out.

(This got far longer than I expected it to, lol.)

the bird is the word! you are right dog

#15 2018-04-25 21:28:25

rodrigo

Go! Bwah! wrote:
rodrigo wrote:

Oh, is that how you do it nowadays?

Right now it feels like the crafting system is procedurally generated - which could actually make for a fun game if it's what people bought into, but this one seemed like it would be more stable.

Yes it is, the problem is with decay. For example:

- With tools breaking, we need to get iron from far away, and with each generation will become nearly impossible to do it.
- Every 1 hour baskets rot, and all storage system is based in baskets. When camps grow, it's impossible to storage everything.

There is more examples but those two are the most important now.

So now, when people hear the bell, they don't go there. Because you can't rebuild the city, and if you do, will not last much time.

#16 2018-04-25 21:37:21

akoopatroop

Seeds are really small. I wish more than 4 seeds fit in a box. Although I expect boxes will decay soon too (hopefully AFTER repair/recycle is implemented)

Board footer