One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-12-28 00:04:41

ollj

150 player madness fun

i was born in a town of 20, with null food, so many new players, not enough farming, died at age 5, after being breast fed by 10 different females.

#2 2020-12-28 00:16:19

ollj

Re: 150 player madness fun

just saying, many towns are death traps now. memerscores go wild.

#3 2020-12-28 00:46:45

ollj

oh i get a wild west feeling, and its great.
shot like, being born to a mosquito infected eve, is no longer a rarity. it is quite common.

#4 2020-12-28 00:49:27

ollj

"we need to start killing the munchers /with apocalypse)" in phex chat.

yes. its  a berrry muching wave of death.
get out of town while you have food.

#5 2020-12-28 01:30:55

DestinyCall

Kind of sad that this game still implodes every time we get a wave of new players.    I wish it was easier for new people to learn the basics so noob villages could reach a sustainable point without heavy vetran  support.

#6 2020-12-28 03:58:52

Eve Troll

Seriously. Self reliant fams and setting a ratio between the number of fams and total server pop. Its not that complicated. Families over 15 people are a mess, over 20 is a shit show. Impossible to keep stable, especially in early game. Who would have thought limiting fams to 4 and making them completely reliant on each other was a bad idea. Oh wait everyone thought that, thinks that, and said it a thousand times.

Last edited by Eve Troll (2020-12-28 04:23:16)

#7 2020-12-28 04:46:26

ollj

aaand suckers got frustraded of the berry muhcning, triggering apocalypse.

2 of them simultaneously:

located at:

[miracle town] is the bell Town, that is currently 4000 east of most active towns.
it is labeled that, by a LOT of marked stones, placed mostly below the end of the desert.

theres 2 endstone towers, relative to [miracle town]

miracle town  -500   150
miracle town  -1530 -200

#8 2020-12-28 06:26:24

DestinyCall

Does anyone actually think that triggering the apocalypse would help this situation?

#9 2020-12-28 06:36:39

fug

DestinyCall wrote:

Does anyone actually think that triggering the apocalypse would help this situation?

The answer is no. If anyone actually thought that would fix the issue they're a goofball.

The real answer is to disable food degradation until the server is stable. Regardless if new players eat food slower they're still going to eat 20 berries at once when the pip value is only one. 

There is always going to be impending server implosion when population booms because the game is balanced around like 30 playing instead of 100. We've never had a functioning long lasting society even when the game was a pie baking simulator. Once again Jason needs to relieve some of the pressure else the game is a starving simulator.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#10 2020-12-28 07:23:08

Spoonwood

I don't see a possibility of survival when I hear reports like this, or hear a streamer say that the family just isn't feeding children, and the family looks rather naked overall.

If the possibility of having a one hour one life experience is non-existent (or 46 one life as Eve... I suppose here), or likely too low, why bother playing?  Because one wants to "role play" overcoming some "challenge" instead of "real playing" by trying to live to old age?

Game inherently has had the problem of lack of the possibility of survival for players, because some babies just won't get fed by someone for one reason or another.

Good games are fair or as fair as they can be.  Pac-man is fair as possible to players trying to finish a level, and the possibility of being able to finish a level is as ensured as it can be.

"Everything runs out" makes the survival game less fair than it could be over and over again, and this comes as even more clear in a multiplayer game like this.  It just isn't compatible with the game being good as a survival game with masses of new players and large families, because it precludes the possiblity of survival over and over again.  Especially since it's a one life game.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#11 2020-12-28 08:09:07

Spoonwood

fug wrote:

The real answer is to disable food degradation until the server is stable. Regardless if new players eat food slower they're still going to eat 20 berries at once when the pip value is only one.

An alternative idea might be to vary food degradation rate on expected player count on a server.  If the expected player count is high, then food degradation rater is lower, so munching doesn't have as profound as an effect so early.  If the expected player count is lower, then food degradation rate is higher.  Still, that might hide the issues long term.

But, is food degradation rate really needed at all?  Even as a motivation that foods get made?

Cravings exist.  They can scale indefinitely.  As far as I can tell cravings suffice to motivate everything that food degradation does.  They differ from life to life and motivate all foods.  Default pip values could get made lower or higher for some foods.  Food degradation doesn't scale, and won't scale in the future, or it needs constrained the larger the number of players in an area.  It might be complicated and unnecessary.  Why have food degradation *ever* in the future?  What gain for players in terms of experiences ever has happened from food degradation?

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#12 2020-12-28 10:22:39

ElKoalito

Actually I find it quite fun to spawn in overwhelmed towns it's not that hard to survive in it but you gotta have unnatural reflexes for it.

Like steal two adobes, make an oven outside of town borders and bake your own food whenever you need it (:

Or you can also see that as an actual challenge and try to teach them Yum chain, how to take care of farms, how to take care of sheeps and how to compost. Sure they won't be building diesel engines but at least you will get stuff done.
You can also actually cook Yum food that no ones like making like  tacos, fish, .. And get everyone to survive thanks to the Yum prophecy

#13 2020-12-28 15:05:30

MistressZues

I tried to get on last night for some hardcore grinding, stocking up on stuff for the morning influx but quick quickly scratched that idea. I was bb napped immediately after birth 4 times in a row. I wish I wasn't so heated over it at the time lol. It made me forget to screenshot those bitches names. First I was snatched by my eleventh cousin who then told my mom 'don't worry you work ill feed her' My mom went back to work and my eleventh cousins grandma came in an snatched me. She ran me to the jungle an dropped me on mosquitos, she got bit to so I got to watch her panic but still RIP. Second time young man took me an dropped me on a wolf, my mom didn't even notice I was born.

Third time I was born and my mom said follow. I did and then boom bb napper came up from behind ran me to the mountain just outside of town an bear. Last time I was born my mom was good but she got old 3 seconds after I was born. My 14 year old cousin pretended like she would raise me while my mom went to get popcorn. She ran with me as soon as my mom left the nursery. She dropped me on a rattlesnake. Sigh. I miss the fact that you could run from people who were not your mom immediately after birth.

Last edited by MistressZues (2020-12-28 15:05:53)

Check this out upvote if you agree!!! https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggest … heck_this/

#14 2020-12-28 15:11:33

Coconut Fruit

It's crazy how unplayable this game is for new players. I wish we had the same tutorial as in mobile version of this game. They have perfect tutorial.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#15 2020-12-30 06:30:40

Gomez

Honestly I find the over populated times to be pretty amusing...back in the rift days the last eve alive would have like 20 babies spawning constantly around here it was hilarious.

#16 2020-12-30 09:39:02

JonySky
Website

OHOL ... the game that when it has more than 100 players becomes a festival of hungry corpses
Why didn't we create a bunch of new magic restrictions to further limit players ??? maybe that's the solution?

a well balanced game!

Last edited by JonySky (2020-12-30 09:41:55)

Board footer