One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-12-27 13:56:00

ollj

pavers and tiled roads, and dumb players, easily grieved.

pavers and tiled roads.
I compared em for the last weeks, they combine nicely, its not even a VERSUS, as they must be used best in combination.
I gave pavers a try, after the reset (and practiced before the reset)
you got a long paved road done rather quickly after the reset, while i bothered mostly with the southeastern town.

but then you failed against 3 types of grievers, in very dumb ways.
- people luring 6 bears into a city at once, and the cit failing to shot a single arrow at them for 5 minutes (plenty available).
- people killing off perfectly healthy cities (bell town, full of food, water, kerosene, clothing, anything, repopulated by an eve 4 generations ago, got made extinct like this), by falsely claiming "its no use to keep living here", convincing every female to no longer feed any babies, causing roughly 50 sids and deaths.
- females, failing as mothers (while still trying), to a point, where griefers just steal babies, or moms try to eat rocks (many new players in the game)
- groups choosing to kill off cities, by emptying it out of all its water and iron, to reboot the same city+family further west (instead of letting an eve take over or supporting an eve further west). this only happens to gingers, and the only reason is greed for more spare kerosene, its dumb bloodline nepotism.

therefore, there is now one long paved road, roughly 1000 tiles, and after that 9000 tiles of pretty much nothing noteworthy.
not even 2 nearby cities connect by roads, because new grief makes cities short lived.
i tiled some 250 tile long road through a jungle, that pretty much it. it fails to go anywhere, because of the development below:

yesterday we had 120 players in 12 families (half of the families had less than 4 population)
today we have 70 players and only 2 families. one hoards 40 kerosene (well, its only 2 cities, full of newbies, what do you expect)

this is due to a wave of new players, which only makes above grieving easier.

escaping all this, i gave pavers a serious try, for a whole week (seeing this crap coming from a mile), planning a huge ass straight road, making yellow paint in large amount, maintaining all paver parts, and after 1 week, its like 70% done, and also, has not started, besides finishing 2 bell towers, and 4 more just need crowns to be turned into bells.

because i can not plan the road as fast as you fail to keep cities alive.
you keep dying fast, or chose to murder, so its utterly pointless, to make bells or paved roads.

bottom line, paved roads SUCK (no surprise for me, i came to this conclusion sine they got implemented, i gave them a chance against better deduction). they cost too much (coordination/cooperation/maintenance/protection), take too long, and by the time you got them build, they are already obsolete.
even if you manage maximum efficiency of a 10000 tile long road.

bell towers can have a chance, but i see them rarel even reach height 2/6, when others try them (i reached height 6, 5 times on my own, but by then, the city is just ruins)

---

paver only goes straight, but cities are rarely straight above or next  to each other.
you may thing, gingers manage to build a straight horizontal road, but they do not even try. (yes, there is a 150 tile paved road that goes nowhere somewhere north)
why would they, luring bears and hoarding stuff is much easier.

tiled roads go any diagonal, and pythagorean theorem and diagonal strafing just makes them much better.

----

besides, here  where paved roads are laughably bad:

any method/procedure/project is only as good as it is stable/immune against sabotage.
and paved roads are SO easily demolished, and repairing them is SO much harder, than repairing tiled roads.
i am glad, i whitnessed a retard, demolishing a paved road, to put a fenche around the first bell town, last week, too.
you get instant reward, that accumulates.

---

signing off, the only person, who finished 2 bells, after the reset, while 20 people ran around with crowns.
(one bell was on purpose never once rang (by me), as it is now too far away from anything, and its a SILENT monument to how bad (unbuild, because they lack purpose) paved roads are (but it has a stone slab west of it, telling its location)

Last edited by ollj (2020-12-27 13:59:21)

#2 2020-12-27 15:31:30

Spoonwood

Re: pavers and tiled roads, and dumb players, easily grieved.

ollj wrote:

yesterday we had 120 players in 12 families (half of the families had less than 4 population)

Players can name themselves in tutorial areas, and I think also in Donkeytown, and then they show up as a family on Hetuw's list.  It's not too difficult for some people to read the tutorial stone that instructs people to say "I AM JONES" and for people to figure out that I AM X is the form of setting names.

ollj wrote:

today we have 70 players and only 2 families.

You can only mean today as you write that.  Unknowns from Hetuw aren't necessarily all in the same family.  I logged into a tutorial area, and saw only Reds and Unknowns listed.  Reds are Ginger. But, checking family tree deaths I found these two lineages: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=6947314 and here: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=6947311

The Eves aren't naming their self before naming their first child, and Sorrows and An both result from saying something like "I AM SORRY" or "I AM AN EVE".  So, if the family has descendants from a player without a family name, they'll end up as unknown.  Families can acquire another name later, I think the influence of other families with a name.

With respect to bell towers, the game has supposed to involve resource exchange between families for a while.  Spawning tends left.  Bell towers always end up right of new families and going to a bell tower town to settle would mean families spreading out more left to right.  So, why try to attract people to them, especially in a jungle or desert, since going to a belltower town as female will just make long term survival prospects even weaker?  Even if ringing a Ginger belltower, tarry spots locally *will* run out.  An older ginger town will almost surely have nearby depleted tarry spots.  If players want to import water from ponds and wells, an arbitrary new spot is likely as good as an old spot.

I'm not arguing that there's no use in living in an old place that your family didn't start.  But, using an old town runs into limits, because resources run out and players aren't trying to find sustainable supplies of resources, because why the hell would anyone rational think about sustainability when a priori it's impossible at some point in time which feels like a short amount of time in real life?  If you don't like those limits, or think that they happen too fast, why would players try to put their selves towards those limits sooner?

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#3 2020-12-27 19:52:26

Eve Troll

Any paved road under 1000 tiles is a waste. Especially given the fact pavers are incredibly forgiving. As long as you dont pick it up or they dont hit permanent obstructions they can keep running if you clear ahead of them. Prepping for them is easy enough and you can use skewers and stakes to guide them cheaply. There is no excuse to make one under 1000 tiles. I agree they are too expensive. Probably the most expensive item in the game. Running one costs the equivalent of 36 iron or 24 buckets of water. Not to mention a bucket of milk, lime, two bowls of water, yellow dye and a large rock. Pavers cant be places in trucks so unless you carry it all the way back it will likely be lost somewhere in the wilderness, wasting an engine and etc.

#4 2020-12-28 05:31:18

ollj

Well, game is hilarious again, with 145 players at a time, and all the new players keep munching all the berries.

I finished another bell in [miracle town]
and i took a delivery truck, that was just parked for 2 minutes in the middle of a town, with a single berry inside of it.
using this almost only to haul a lot of clothes from Far east to west. (up to 10000 distance)

so that kept me playing for another day.

apocalypse trigger kinda delays any plans to keep preparing a long paved road.
I expect most new players to make this apocalypse to actually happen, even though it is currently very close to every city.
everyone will just be too busy, starving to death, or making food.

Last edited by ollj (2020-12-28 05:31:40)

Board footer