One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-09-25 05:45:53

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Brand new players now start with 0 genetic fitness score

Before, brand new players started out with scores of 30.

Thus, if you took care of them, and they died younger than 30, you would lose points.

Now, there's no way to go but up, at least for the first few lives.

So getting a brand new player as a baby will always be a blessing in terms of your gene score.

#2 2020-09-25 07:00:08

fug

Re: Brand new players now start with 0 genetic fitness score

Really good change on that one.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#3 2020-09-25 08:10:24

Spoonwood

fug wrote:

It sounds good for cooperation purposes, and for incentivizing veterans to play with new players.  But, isn't it because of a brand new account?

For any (theoretical?) new player or "new player" that makes it to old age, they have decreasing maximum pips down to 4 pips like in the old days, with a slower pip drain rate than in the old days.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#4 2020-09-25 08:41:52

Arcurus

YEA thats great! So vets are actually incentivized to help noobs not just hide somewhere else until the noobocalypse is over.

Spoonwood wrote:
fug wrote:

It sounds good for cooperation purposes, and for incentivizing veterans to play with new players.  But, isn't it because of a brand new account?

For any (theoretical?) new player or "new player" that makes it to old age, they have decreasing maximum pips down to 4 pips like in the old days, with a slower pip drain rate than in the old days.

I think its fine if they then get more pips in old age the more they play. If they reach old age they so or so life most likely on yum. 

And the new implemented reduced food use for noobs helps also in old age until they had a chance to build up some score.

#5 2020-09-25 10:44:42

Twisted

Amazing change!

#6 2020-09-25 10:54:29

Arcurus

Twisted wrote:

Amazing change!

its the small things in life that matter smile

#7 2020-09-25 11:41:49

happynova

Thank you so much, Jason!  I think I regard it as something of a minor miracle if a brand-new player actually lives to thirty, no matter how hard I try to keep them alive.  They have a tendency to do things like trying to attack bears with axes or randomly deciding they're going to wander off into the woods to "start my own civilization!" (with blackjack and hookers, I guess) and  immediately starving to death.

#8 2020-12-25 08:13:27

Spoonwood

jasonrohrer wrote:

Thus, if you took care of them, and they died younger than 30, you would lose points.

So getting a brand new player as a baby will always be a blessing in terms of your gene score.

One might have believed this correct, but it says "for the first few lives".  No, it's not their first few lives in the plural.

Damarii Skogman: http://onehouronelife.com/fitnessServer … l&id=56665 lost points on his second life as Hope Miracle after playing as Sadam Len.  Damarii's gene score was 14.307 when they started as Hope Miracle on their 2nd life after living to 60 on their first life.  I lost -0.697 gene score from that player's death.

From the same life as Ghada Miracle I lost points to a 5th time player and a 7th time player also.

Probably the smartest thing to do gene score wise would be to try to get my mom and any sisters I had to get out of town and live somewhere else or have one child.  Settling along band borders to control population and have more time to teach players may well make for the best strategy gene score wise.  Gene score has this glaring flaw that having children, or having too many children can be a serious mistake.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-12-25 08:14:35)

Danish Clinch.

#9 2020-12-25 16:51:30

QuirkySmirkyIan

Spoonwood wrote:
jasonrohrer wrote:

One might have believed this correct, but it says "for the first few lives".  No, it's not their first few lives in the plural.

Damarii Skogman: http://onehouronelife.com/fitnessServer … l&id=56665 lost points on his second life as Hope Miracle after playing as Sadam Len.  Damarii's gene score was 14.307 when they started as Hope Miracle on their 2nd life after living to 60 on their first life.  I lost -0.697 gene score from that player's death.

From the same life as Ghada Miracle I lost points to a 5th time player and a 7th time player also.

Probably the smartest thing to do gene score wise would be to try to get my mom and any sisters I had to get out of town and live somewhere else or have one child.  Settling along band borders to control population and have more time to teach players may well make for the best strategy gene score wise.  Gene score has this glaring flaw that having children, or having too many children can be a serious mistake.

NECRO but I have a friend who has probably played less than 10 lives and already has enough meme score to be leader.

Open gate now. Need truck to be more efficient!

#10 2020-12-25 17:49:42

Spoonwood

jasonrohrer wrote:

This conclusion also doesn't follow, since negative gene score from the children of your new player daughter (from grandchildren) can easily outdo whatever positive benefit you got from your new player daughter.

Danish Clinch.

#11 2020-12-25 17:57:18

DestinyCall

Fun fact - gene score rebounds quite quickly after getting tanked by a wave of new players, so it really doesn't matter that much.  Just keep playing and focus on enjoying the game.   

Your meme score will be just fine.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2020-12-25 17:57:55)

#12 2020-12-25 20:43:03

Spoonwood

DestinyCall wrote:

Fun fact - gene score rebounds quite quickly after getting tanked by a wave of new players, so it really doesn't matter that much.

Gene score getting tanked by new players makes for a bad situation.  If this game had even 4 of its servers in use throughout most days (likely only 3, maybe even 2 servers would get used during lower population hours), gene score getting tanked by new players would happen frequently.  Saying that such doesn't matter, because of player count declining soon with a greater ratio of veterans to new players is like saying that the game would be better with fewer people playing it.

Also, if it didn't matter, why aren't players like Jessenia Rodak and Susy Rosecrans appearing lately on the leaderboard?  Some players likely just don't play during those periods, because of how gene score gets calculated.

Danish Clinch.

#13 2020-12-26 01:06:34

DestinyCall

I am saying it does not matter, because you can easily recover your lost score simply by continuing to play. 

Easy come, easy go.

#14 2020-12-26 02:17:32

Spoonwood

DestinyCall wrote:

I am saying it does not matter, because you can easily recover your lost score simply by continuing to play. 

Easy come, easy go.

Yohanan Contino had a gene score of like 54 or 55 a few weeks ago.  It still hasn't recovered to that point, and Mr. Contino didn't even play when a server was filled with players.

Danish Clinch.

#15 2020-12-26 03:20:37

DestinyCall

What did Mr Contino's score drop down to?   And what is it at now?

#16 2020-12-26 03:34:08

Spoonwood

DestinyCall wrote:

What did Mr Contino's score drop down to?   And what is it at now?

Mr Contino is currently on the leaderboard, so you can search it.  Asking someone else for a 'now' question has the drawback of them not answering it in time.  I recall Mr Contino's score dropping perhaps a dozen points, or maybe it was 6, after Mr. Contino played in the afternoon one day.  It got up to 52.594 and now it's at 48.358 as I write this.

Danish Clinch.

#17 2020-12-26 04:24:15

DestinyCall

That is terrible.   I hope he recovers from his loss.

Board footer