One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-11-10 22:51:00

Spoonwood

Gene Score Advice: Don't Play During A Sale/Always Check BS2

During a sale period two things end up rather likely to happen:

1. The ratio of new players to experienced players is likely to be higher, if not much higher also, than normal.  Thus, it's more likely that your relatives will die earlier during a sale period than during other periods.   One's gene score is more likely to decrease during this period than any other period.  I saw Wondible on his stream during the September sale where his genetic score tanked.  He wasn't checking a custom server, and thus often would end up with new players on server1 or server2 struggling to even get an Eve camp off the ground, with many of them dying quickly.  Even with some recent changes, new players are likely to die more quickly than experienced players for a whole host of reasons.

2. Destructive players, by which I mean players looking to wreck havoc on other players or food or technology or towns, come as likely to purchase another account.  They will likely thus be more active during this period and wreck more havoc, decreasing the average life expectancy of characters.  And a lower average life expectancy for members of your family just isn't as good for your gene score as playing during another time.

Both of which suggest that playing during a sale seems rather likely to have a (substantial) negative effect on your gene score.

Finally, if you *do* play during a sale, and you end up on server1 or beyond, you won't play with the experienced players who check a custom server.  The ratio of new players to experienced players is likely to come as maximal.  Families might also die out due to player drop off, and that could mean some people intentionally committing suicide.  You won't have whatever advantages exist from playing in already built up towns.  Servers 1 and beyond come as closer to a natural state than bigserver2 usually is.  If you play there, you'll end up in earlier stage towns/pre-towns easily, and that likely means shorter life expectancy for players.  So, if you do choose to play during a sale always checking bigserver2 might be your best bet.

But again, since you care about gene score, it's probably better to just play some other time than during a sale and keep your gene score intact.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#2 2020-11-11 02:00:17

FishRfriendsnotfood
Banned

Re: Gene Score Advice: Don't Play During A Sale/Always Check BS2

What about the goose though?

I'm fish, deal with it or don't, idgaf

#3 2020-11-11 07:22:06

NoTruePunk

no

#4 2020-11-11 17:08:12

Coconut Fruit

If I remember correctly, genetics of new players were changed. They start from 0 or smth.
You can only gain genetic score when playing with new players, even if they die super young.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#5 2020-11-11 17:26:58

Spoonwood

Coconut Fruit wrote:

If I remember correctly, genetics of new players were changed. They start from 0 or smth.
You can only gain genetic score when playing with new players, even if they die super young.

I thought it was their death age that mattered, not their genetic score.  Still, 2nd time players probably wouldn't be much better during a sale, unless it's their gene score, not their death age.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-11-11 17:27:18)

Danish Clinch.

#6 2020-11-11 19:32:54

Coconut Fruit

Spoonwood wrote:

I thought it was their death age that mattered, not their genetic score.

Their genetic score matters to you too. For example if someone has 12 genetic score, you will receive gene points if he survives 12 or more years, otherwise you lose points if he dies younger than 12yo.

New players will still have pretty low gene score even after a few games, so it's still safe to play with them.

I think you should change topic title, because it's misleading.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#7 2020-11-11 19:53:15

Spoonwood

Coconut Fruit wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

Their genetic score matters to you too. For example if someone has 12 genetic score, you will receive gene points if he survives 12 or more years, otherwise you lose points if he dies younger than 12yo.

New players will still have pretty low gene score even after a few games, so it's still safe to play with them.

It's also easier to die by starvation with more new players around due to them having trouble feeding you or them eating up food (if you can predict you won't get fed, /die won't help also, since that hurts your gene score).  Also, a player on a new account is less likely to feed children/feed children as much as they need fed.  If your new player daughter lives to 20 and her 2 children die of starvation at age 2, those grandchildren can hurt your gene score more than the new player helped your gene score.  Destructive players might not feed any children, as that one Eve a few months during server restart who didn't feed a single child showed.  Also, note point 2 above about destructive players starting new accounts.

In terms of gene score advice, it's still recommended to not play during a sale and play at some other time.  It just works out that some other time will likely end up better than during a sale for one's gene score.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-11-11 20:01:15)

Danish Clinch.

#8 2020-11-11 22:21:29

FishRfriendsnotfood
Banned

also note that all of these topics are no longer relevant.

I'm fish, deal with it or don't, idgaf

#9 2020-11-12 00:11:42

DestinyCall

I used to think that playing during a steam sale or server meltdown was bad for your gene score, but I changed my mind after my experiences during the September steam sale.

I saw that OHOL was the Daily Deal and I knew what that would mean for the state of the game.  The main server would be knee-deep in noob skeletons, the old towns would be picked clean by swarms of ravenous players who do not know how to yum yet, and the inevitable collapse of one big town would doom the rest to Death by Baby Boom, pushing everyone into Eve Hell.     

I considered not logging into the game, but it was Saturday and I wanted to play some OHOL.  So I said "screw it" and waded into the fray.  It actually wasn't as bad as expected at first ... I have seen a lot of server meltdowns and this one was only a 6 or 7 out of 10 on the shit scale when I joined.   Towns were mostly still functional, just overburdened and food wasn't completely gone yet.   I got to work, fixing what was broke and teach new players, while our food and water dwindled away, generation after generation.   It was like bailing a boat in a storm, the waves crashing over the side, always dumping in more seawater than I could lift out.   I knew I couldn't keep the towns going at this rate, so I stopped trying and just focused on helping teach new players how to be productive.   Instead of fixing problems that would kill the town in a few generations, I would show people what they could do with the available supplies and leave those problems for other people to solve ... or more likelyy, not solve.   The town was doomed, but maybe I could show a few people what they needed to know to help save the next town or the one after that.   It was chaotic and desperate, but strangely satisfying.   

It was also hell on my gene score.   I started out somewhere in the 45 to 55 range with all the tool slots I could want.   By the end of the one-day sale, my score had plummeted to the twenties.  I kept playing the next day and it got even worse.  I think it bottomed out around 12 or 14 at its worst.  That was after all the towns collapsed and I was trying to get Eve camps full of noobs to stay alive with 6 tool slots and complete disregard for my own sanity.

Fortunately/Unfortunately, the onslaught of new players didn't last very long.  By the start of the third day, things were starting to stabilize.   Eve camps were growing into villages.   Villages were developing into towns.  People were living more than they were dying.

And my gene score was on the rise.

It took longer to return to normal than it took for the score to bottom out, but by the end of the week, I was back in the 40 to 50 range and had all my bonus tool slots back again.   I could have saved myself the aggravation by skipping out on OHOL until after the sale, but choosing to play during a baby apocalypse didn't do any permanent damage to my gene score.

Yes, it dropped like a rock from all the early deaths and there was absolutely nothing that I could have done in-game to stop that.  But as soon as conditions improved, my gene score started to recover.   Gene score is very malleable - easy come, easy go.  And now that tool slots are not active, a low score should not impact your ability to function in-game.   And if you do care about keeping a high gene score for other reasons, like Eveing and leadership, you don't have to worry that much.  The score bounces back quickly, especially if you stick around for the aftermath.   Everyone gets hit hard during the sale, so after the sale, everyone is climbing back up from the depths together.   With the coding changes to make new players start off with a genetic blank slate, I would guess that the next sale will be less of a rollercoaster, at least from a gene score perspective.  There will still be a hit to gene score due to the baby apocalypse and town collapse causing veteran players to die, but all the new players should help offset it.   

Basically, I don't see any reason to avoid playing during a sale to save your gene score.   It is just a silly number.   Ignore it.  It doesn't matter.   

Play if you want to play.    Just be prepared for chaos, as always.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2020-11-12 05:55:16)

#10 2020-12-25 08:04:58

Spoonwood

Coconut Fruit wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

The part about always checking bs2 isn't correct if server1 has enough players.

I had Hope Miracle as my niece with leaderboard name Damarii Skogman: http://onehouronelife.com/fitnessServer … l&id=56665  Damarii's gene score was 14.307 when they started as Hope Miracle on their 2nd life after living to 60 on their first life.  I lost -0.697 gene score from that player.  In the same life I lost gene score from a player on their 7th life: http://onehouronelife.com/fitnessServer … l&id=56554 and another player on their 5th life.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-12-25 08:08:09)

Danish Clinch.

Board footer