One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-12-17 14:41:10

StrongForce

How would you go about bringing the Apocalypse?

The last few lifes I've been working towards making the apocalypse and thinking about how to accomplish it.

I dont think the Apocalypse should be considered griefing. It is exiting and challenging on both sides imo.

Have you ever made it happen?

Baby dance!!

#2 2020-12-17 14:51:49

Uncreative Guy

Re: How would you go about bringing the Apocalypse?

Oh great, more apoc attempts.  Thanks for letting me know at least, so I can avoid the game for another 2 weeks.

I’m not creative enough to make a creative signature which explains my noncreative nickname of Uncreative Guy.

#3 2020-12-17 15:03:29

StrongForce

I never made it happen.
If this is a reason to stay away for you im sorry. Seams more like you are looking fir a reason tho

Baby dance!!

#4 2020-12-17 15:08:11

Uncreative Guy

A possible apoc means that everything I build might be erased at any time.  Because of that possibility, it is not worth playing.  I like the marks I make, and to see how others use them, or how they’ve been treated days later.

I’m not creative enough to make a creative signature which explains my noncreative nickname of Uncreative Guy.

#5 2020-12-17 15:30:12

gamatron332

Well at first I would start releasing hydrocarbons to destroy the ozone which should do most of the death and dispair, next I would go to Hawaii and set up a nuke in the most sensitive lava flow tunnel. Finally I would call a United Nations meeting and say screw you all Americans don’t die. Then I would blow up... ohhhh you mean an in game one

I’m Gama I flaunt my ideas, and I’m fabulous
But I’ve allready said too much.

#6 2020-12-17 19:51:46

DestinyCall

Triggering the Apocalypse is rarely justified. You are throwing away all the hard work, time, and effort that other players have put into making their villages liveable over countless hours of game-time.   Why would you do that?   

There is good reason why people who try to start the Apocalypse will get cursed and treated with scorn by most players.   You are ruining the game for anyone who wants their efforts to be remembered and used by future generations.   And in the current game-state, you are also very likely dooming anyone currently playing to a slow death by starvation, because of the generational food decay mechanic.   Old families are ill-equipped for starting over without a food bonus.   If you are in a later gen family, wild foods will not be viable post-apoc.

I see it as similar to killing all the sheep or scrapping an engine, but on a global scale.  Is it always griefing?   No, there are a few edge-cases that might not be grief, like if you do it by accident or without understanding how much harm you are doing to other people or in the rare situation where a full server reset would fix the game after a bad update.   Otherwise, it is a very selfish and harmful thing to do for your own amusement.  You probably shouldn't be doing it and you definitely shouldn't be surprised if other people get angry with you for trying to do it anyways.

It doesn't matter if it is "part of the game".   Murder is also part of the game.   That doesn't make it socially acceptable in the majority of cases.  Just because you CAN do something that does not mean you SHOULD do it.   

Basically, the Apocalypse tower is a big red self-destruct button with a "Do Not Push" sign next to it.  It largely exists to tempt the kind of person who can't resist pushing big red buttons.   It really doesn't belong in the game, like the engine scrap box, but I suspect Jason enjoys toying with people and seeing what they do when you give them objectively bad choices.   

Try not to fail the test.

#7 2020-12-17 20:26:43

darkdemon23

The apocalypse is useless as the games mechanics itself are destroying the ruins and towns. Its just shortening every towns demise and destruction where usually the game destroys them by forcing the eve march west leaving the ruins and towns behind.

#8 2020-12-17 21:48:06

Dodge

The apocalypse could have been an interesting part of the game a battle between those who believe that the best option is to reset the world and those who believe it's possible to go on.

But since the game pretty much resets on it's own anyway, by spawning Eves further and further and old villages getting lost there's really not much point doing it.

Also there's not a good enough reason to motivate it to the point where it would polarize enough players to make it interesting and create groups between those who believe resetting is truly the best solution and the other that believes the opposite.

Right now it's just resetting for the sake of resetting but there's no good reason to do it.

Now picture this: The world and ressources are limited like on earth, civilisations reached an advanced level of tech but not enough to reach a point where they can become self sustainable (or reach an end game scenario like going into space and finding another habitable planet), they used a lot of ressources in the process and there might not be enough to reach the next level of tech.

One group believes that there are not enough ressources anymore and that they should invoke magic to reset the world the other group disagrees and believes that they can reach the next level.

From this point both try their best to either finish a tower or prevent any towers from being made, lots of interesting situations and something different from the usual crafting grind that is this game.

It truly has a purpose but wasted like any potential that this game has.

But if you want to spice things up a little why not, i would suggest building multiple towers as decoy all behind walls and locked door and remembering their locations, if you build enough of them one of them might reach the final stage.

#9 2020-12-17 21:50:22

Eve Troll

It would be cool if there was a really difficult version of the apoc tower. But instead of resetting the server it reset resources. Stuff like tarry spots, soil deposits, milkweed, wild foods, and etc. As long as its not obstructed of course. It would be cool to be able to renew areas that would be unlivable otherwise.

That being said the current apoc tower is pretty boring. Almost no point to it and it takes an incredible amount of dedication to complete one. Plus its not interesting, i think most griefers are attracted to certain methods because it creates a reaction. Towns group up against them, chase them, curse them. That chaos and mayhem is the main motivator for most griefers imo. If their goal was exclusively to kill off fams or destroy towns there are far more effective ways for them to do so without getting attention, being caught, or being cursed. But i think they like those elements and the notoriety that comes with it.

But back to the apoc tower. It gives no one attention and it gives no notoriety. Anyone could say they triggered it. Typically you want it to be a secret so any kinda of drama or chaos surrounding it should be avoided. Its a mechanic that just doesnt fit in the current griefer pathology. If it was some type of sacrificial blade that needed to be used X amount of times and wasnt time based i could see the apoc being far more attractive to griefers. But building a tower that takes at minimum 24 hours, 5 lives in the brown fam, and killing five babies seems like a boring and annoying thing to do. Its no surprise people dont do it.

#10 2020-12-17 22:05:33

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

Looking at the updates that are about to go through he's moving the bands 20 tiles up and I'm pretty sure that's going to cause a map wipe. So all you apocolypse thirsters out there are going to get your map wipe soon.

Stuppys.

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#11 2020-12-17 22:09:05

Dodge

"Its a mechanic that just doesnt fit in the current griefer pathology"

It's because it's not meant to be griefing, when the tower reaches a certain level there's a bell that points to the exact location of the tower AND it takes hours to make.

Both of these are in place to AVOID it being used as griefing, it's supposed to be a group effort over generations, a cult that would protect and defend the tower from invaders.

It was meant more as something philosophical everything has a beginning and end or something like that, but since there's no reason to reset because the game pretty much does it itself group of players are not motivated to make one and protect it, another dead content to add to the list.

#12 2020-12-17 22:21:42

Spoonwood

Dodge wrote:

From this point both try their best to either finish a tower or prevent any towers from being made, lots of interesting situations and something different from the usual crafting grind that is this game.

This is a boring situation in the majority.  It would mean shorter lives.  Fewer one hour one life experiences.  Fewer close to one hour one life experiences for players trying to do so.  Failure is boring.  Success is interesting.  Dying is boring.  Survival is interesting.  It also means fewer players possible on a server living at once due to resources running out.  The game not having the ability to support players is boring.  The game having the ability to support players on a server is interesting.

Dodge wrote:

Both of these are in place to AVOID it being used as griefing, it's supposed to be a group effort over generations, a cult that would protect and defend the tower from invaders.

Low pip wild foods.  Not enough wild food really even in an area if all the players were Eves due too many grouped up.  Less survival is and has been the result of all apocalypses.  Too challenging for most players to live to old age after an apocalypse.  All apocalypses have always been griefing, and the very concept reveals how there is no consistent vision for the game.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#13 2020-12-17 22:34:27

Dodge

Spoonwood wrote:

Failure is boring.  Success is interesting.

You really dont know much about life...

#14 2020-12-17 22:39:44

Spoonwood

Dodge wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

People don't celebrate the conquered.  They celebrate the victors.  It isn't the "German Conquered" channel or the "Mexican Conquered" or the "Japanese Conquered" channel.  It's the American Heroes channel.  There aren't best selling biographies of failed writers or businessmen.  There do exist best selling biographies of successful writers and successful businessmen.  Failure is boring in life.  Success is interesting.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-12-17 22:40:35)

Danish Clinch.

#15 2020-12-17 22:48:37

Dodge

Spoonwood wrote:
Dodge wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

People don't celebrate the conquered.  They celebrate the victors.  It isn't the "German Conquered" channel or the "Mexican Conquered" channel.  It's the American Heroes channel.  There aren't best selling biographies of failed writers or businessmen.  There do exist best selling biographies of successful writers and successful businessmen.  Failure is boring in life.  Success is interesting.

And how do you think they became successful?

Did they get everything handed to them, everything was easy, they never failed once in their life?

What is your definition of success?

You keep saying "boring" but your point of view is boring, you value the length of a life over it's quality, you would rather see players crafting their whole life instead of living interesting stories that might not end of old age.

#16 2020-12-17 22:56:31

Spoonwood

Dodge wrote:

By succeeding.  Successes build on other successes usually.

Dodge wrote:

You keep saying "boring" but your point of view is boring, you value the length of a life over it's quality, you would rather see players crafting their whole life instead of living interesting stories that might not end of old age.

Dying before old age is usually out of character.  Dying before old age is usually a boring story.

Danish Clinch.

#17 2020-12-17 23:40:35

Dodge

Spoonwood wrote:
Dodge wrote:

Dodge wrote:

Dying before old age is usually out of character.  Dying before old age is usually a boring story.

Yeah you still got a lot to learn...

#18 2020-12-17 23:56:01

StrongForce

I dont need to trigger it with the last bloody blade. I just wanna build it cause i never did before. To see if i can actually do it

Baby dance!!

#19 2020-12-18 00:07:24

Spoonwood

Dodge wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:
Dodge wrote:

Dodge wrote:

Yeah you still got a lot to learn...

That isn't evidence or a counterargument.  Fine sounding phrases are often the bastion of those who don't have much reasoning to support their positions.

Danish Clinch.

#20 2020-12-18 02:30:37

OneOfMany

StrongForce wrote:

I don't think the Apocalypse should be considered griefing. It is exciting and challenging on both sides imo.   *Spellchecked

I agree. If it's in the game, it's fair play. Everyone plays the game differently. I am amazed at the all the different ways people play the same game.

The apocalypse (lowercase "A"), can be completed in 47 steps, according to OneTech.

FluxBB bbcode test

I remember a broken time in the game when an apocalypse happened every eight hours. With the new game mechanics I wonder how such a thing would play out. Would players welcome it or would they fight against it? Would they tend their berries as the world burned or would they struggle against an inevitability?

I am a dirty, dirty roleplayer. I roleplay in the game, sometimes on the forum and if I'm being honest, a bit in real life. I can't help myself. I'm a dirty, dirty roleplayer. Don't hate the player, hate the game. smile

#21 2020-12-18 02:40:07

DestinyCall

Yawn.

#22 2020-12-18 04:24:05

fug

OneOfMany wrote:
StrongForce wrote:

I don't think the Apocalypse should be considered griefing. It is exciting and challenging on both sides imo.   *Spellchecked

I agree. If it's in the game, it's fair play. Everyone plays the game differently. I am amazed at the all the different ways people play the same game.

The apocalypse (lowercase "A"), can be completed in 47 steps, according to OneTech.

https://onetech.info/static/sprites/obj_2482.png

I remember a broken time in the game when an apocalypse happened every eight hours. With the new game mechanics I wonder how such a thing would play out. Would players welcome it or would they fight against it? Would they tend their berries as the world burned or would they struggle against an inevitability?

People who cared would just walk over and kick it over if it was easy enough to disable. There will never be some EpIk level fight over an apocalypse due to how the game is set up. We're likely getting a wipe this week anyways due to how things need to be shifted around.

When the apocalypse is "fair" it's undoable, and when it's doable it's normally unstoppable due to mechanic abuse.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#23 2020-12-19 02:31:44

QuirkySmirkyIan

:clown:

Open gate now. Need truck to be more efficient!

#24 2020-12-19 06:21:18

NoTruePunk

Right after an apoc or map wipe there's a huge reserve of new oil available, which means for a week or two after towns can get really rich really fast.

I don't know how many times I've logged in and found my mother rapidly migrating east into a dead, desolate wasteland. Old land is devoid of wild food, oil, cinnabar, horses and other valuable non-renewable resources. For some reason players prefer prebuilt walls and a dug well to eve camps, not that old towns come with much more than those walls, especially after they've been looted.

I won't ever make an apocalypse myself, but I think the anti-apoc complaints are overblown. It really depends on the current west-vs-east migration culture and the state of villages. What's the difference between your work getting wiped by apoc compared to it getting abandoned after the muti-generational migrants that moved to your town from 2k west die out and the new eve spawns 10+ km away?

If people change the migration culture and proactively start migrating west then it'd be a non issue.

#25 2020-12-19 06:29:05

NoTruePunk

Eve Troll wrote:

It would be cool if there was a really difficult version of the apoc tower. But instead of resetting the server it reset resources. Stuff like tarry spots, soil deposits, milkweed, wild foods, and etc. As long as its not obstructed of course. It would be cool to be able to renew areas that would be unlivable otherwise.

Hmm, anti-apoc force field that protects your town???

One well preserved arctic village could bootstrap the other three, but they likely won't appreciate it. Then again, the jungle fam with a large stockpile of kero might be just as good, and they get the apoc stones in their biome anyway.

HMM just thinking out loud, ignore me

Board footer