One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-12-11 03:05:32

Spoonwood

Why The Apoclaypse is Boring Overall

The Apocalypse (not some noob apocalypse *The* Apocalypse) involves everyone getting reset to the state of nature including their clothing.  Generation length doesn't change.  There isn't enough wild food on the map to support people after such an instant change.  One can maintain it interests some players.  But, it results in fewer one hour one life experiences.  Worse it makes one hour one life experiences impossible for many, perhaps even almost all players.  Half an hour one life experiences even seem questionable.

The apocalypse makes the game too challenging at an individual level for the vast majority of players or at least far many more players than in almost all other situations.  When things are too challenging especially when people know that they are in an impossible situation, people get bored.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#2 2020-12-12 16:42:26

Caprys

Re: Why The Apoclaypse is Boring Overall

It hardly ever happens so it's an unique experience and challenge. I still remember my first time. Didn't know what happend. Everything gone, everyone naked running for the berrybushes. It's kinda funny.

#3 2020-12-12 17:11:32

DestinyCall

If it happened all the time, it would get old really fast.    Since it doesn't happen all the time, it isn't that much of an issue, in my opinion. 

However, you do bring up a good point.    The Apocalypse dates back to a time before generational food decay.    It throws you back into Eve mode and wipes out all your infrastructure, so if you are an old family line, the Apocalypse will be a straight-up death sentence for your entire family.   You can't rebuild from scratch with generational food decay in full effect.    There's no way you are going to be able to "rough it" in the wilds long enough to rebuild.    Combine that with the westward Eve march and biome-restrictions, it basically dooms everybody on the server to an extended period of chaos and death.     

Prior to these changes, the Apocalypse sucked because all your hard work was erased and you had to start over from scratch.    Now it sucks even harder, because it means literally everybody is going to die a slow agonizing death by starvation and lack of specialty resources.   

Not nearly as funny as it once was, I must say.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2020-12-12 18:21:26)

#4 2020-12-12 21:39:01

StrongForce

Did i miss the apocalypse or why are we discussing this?

Baby dance!!

#5 2020-12-12 21:43:31

Spoonwood

StrongForce wrote:

Did i miss the apocalypse or why are we discussing this?

I don't see any signs of an apocalypse having happened.  So, I don't think you missed anything.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

Board footer