One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-12-10 08:03:56

Spoonwood

Leaderboard Advice: Don't Play Much Once You Have Decent Score

I'll write more on this later.

Until then though, once you have a spot you find respectable on the leader board and gene score you think high enough, it's advisable to not play too much.  Maybe once a day to stay on the leader board.

As I write this Danish Clinch was like number 2 on the leader board a few hours ago and saw that the number one player had played like an hour or two before that.  But, as I write this, Danish Clinch is number one on the leader board, with the proximate causative factor as someone else having played and lost score.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#2 2020-12-10 08:20:58

NoTruePunk

Re: Leaderboard Advice: Don't Play Much Once You Have Decent Score

No

#3 2020-12-10 09:56:38

MrsDuckGirl

Why do you care so much about leaderboard ? Except for being first on something, I don't see the point.
It doesn't reflect how good you are with the game, nor how much you contributed to your town.
If it reflected the number of crops you watered, the number of steel you made, then okay. But on the opposite, you waste food on potatoes to save your score.
And being leader for what ? Telling newbies "get iron" when they don't know how to ? More advanced players don't need such orders, they can see the town needs iron or farms need to be tend.
I've been leader several times, and found it annoying. The only good thing is, when I found a family my town needed and I'm too old to get back to town, I can tell them from far away "browns are this amount of tiles and this direction from us". This, and rick-rolling my followers.

#4 2020-12-10 10:04:59

Berry High Priest

In my opinion there isn’t much use in the leaderboard except getting town leader.
So I have a neat little idea in me noggin. This can also solve the lack of player sprites with neat ned and interesting mechanics that definitely will improve and introduce new player interactions. So my idea is attaching the gene score to penis and boob sprites. The higher it is the bigger they get. So when a new leader baby is born everyone can already see it by the massive size of his penis. Everyone can also compliment the leader for it. The players can also hide theirs by wearing clothes. Same goes for females but they will only show it once they mature. They also can get complimented by people who say “nice rack mam!”

Kind regards,
Your friendly gooseberry gentleman neighbor.

#5 2020-12-10 21:15:29

Rose

I absolutely dont agree with you.

I was playing all week with new players in early camps.
I fell down from 20  to 550 place on Leaderbord but was having time on my life.

Next week I returned easily to 8 place again

PS ( sorry for spelling mistakes)

#6 2020-12-10 21:43:06

fug

Rose wrote:

I absolutely dont agree with you.

I was playing all week with new players in early camps.
I fell down from 20  to 550 place on Leaderbord but was having time on my life.

Next week I returned easily to 8 place again

PS ( sorry for spelling mistakes)

Meme score is useless anyways. If anything it is the most important time for vets to play at these times to try to teach and retain players.

If people seriously care about imaginary points over the state of the game they should commit snake step or wolf hug.

Glad to see of all the shenanigans mechanics we have meme score is the one spoon took the bait on.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#7 2020-12-10 22:32:02

Spoonwood

fug wrote:

Meme score is useless anyways.

The term "meme score" is a meme.  There is no such thing as "meme score" calculated by the game or by you fug.

Also, gene score affects how many possible pips one can have at the end of life.  It also affects leadership potential, since inherited leadership goes to the person with the highest gene score in the family, or at least affects it's probability.  Gene score affects leaderboard position.  One has to play once every 24 hours to remain on the leaderboard.  Thus, gene score has it's uses.  And leaderboard is not a meme, since it can provide a motivation to play to some.

fug wrote:

If anything it is the most important time for vets to play at these times to try to teach and retain players.

Perhaps.  But, you'd need something like a system which rewards players for having more relatives and getting them to survive in general.  Something like a longevity point system as I've suggested elsewhere I think would work for that.

Also, in real life, telling someone to "go catch the bus" I wouldn't find acceptable, at least not on very little basis.  I don't see how saying what you said about committing snake step or wolf works out as acceptable also.

Danish Clinch.

#8 2020-12-10 23:09:24

Eve Troll

If you like eveing memescore is kinda important. But beyond that it really isnt worth anything. Plus the chances of getting eve are next to nothing, especially with the increased stability of fams with the population boost. People seem to be moving fams back to the same towns over and over. Same town different name. So your impact as eve isnt really felt anymore either. On the bright side spawns seem to be moving much slower than they were before. But memescore is back to just being a number which means practically nothing, where it originally was and always should have been.

#9 2020-12-10 23:30:58

Spoonwood

MrsDuckGirl wrote:

Why do you care so much about leaderboard ? Except for being first on something, I don't see the point.

I talked to someone on discord who said that leaderboard is not a meme.  I ended up looking into it more after that, especially after writing some posts about gene score advice, since gene score and leader board have a connection.  It has some objective aspects to it.  It's not entirely random as some people have made it out to be, and as Jessenia Rodak, and some others have consistently proved.

MrsDuckGirl wrote:

It doesn't reflect how good you are with the game, nor how much you contributed to your town.

I don't know the standards by which you judge being good at the game.  Gene score provides some standard with respect to being good at something that gets measured.

MrsDuckGirl wrote:

If it reflected the number of crops you watered, the number of steel you made, then okay. But on the opposite, you waste food on potatoes to save your score.

The game isn't getting designed as some sort of crafting competition as I understand it.  Also, I don't see how an individual player surviving by eating an extra potato or two is *necessarily* wasting food.  The food is there for the players, not for efficiency reasons.  Additionally, I rarely munch, only doing so in an early camp sometimes or if I haven't planned well when traveling to another town.  As bad as munching is efficiency wise, and as bad as recommending munching is in general, munching is still better than starving to death.

MrsDuckGirl wrote:

And being leader for what ?

An advantage lies in that an experienced player having leadership makes it more difficult for some newer player to give leadership to some destructive player. 

MrsDuckGirl wrote:

Telling newbies "get iron" when they don't know how to ? More advanced players don't need such orders, they can see the town needs iron or farms need to be tend.

Sometimes, for sure.  Other times they might not see problems.  Kind of depends on how big the town is and what they've been working on.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-12-10 23:31:36)

Danish Clinch.

#10 2020-12-10 23:52:04

DestinyCall

Pro-tip -  After you reach top of leaderboard ... never play again.   End on a high note.

"And when Alexander saw the breadth of his domain, he wept, for there were no more worlds to conquer."

#11 2020-12-11 00:05:29

sigmen4020

Pro tip - Git Gud

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#12 2020-12-11 07:47:11

MrsDuckGirl

Spoonwood wrote:
MrsDuckGirl wrote:

I don't know the standards by which you judge being good at the game.  Gene score provides some standard with respect to being good at something that gets measured.

I forgot I had to choose wisely my words with you... By "good", I meant how comfortable/handy/smart/advanced you are with the game. Wondible is "good" at the game, however he has a sh*tty score.

Spoonwood wrote:
MrsDuckGirl wrote:

The game isn't getting designed as some sort of crafting competition as I understand it.  Also, I don't see how an individual player surviving by eating an extra potato or two is *necessarily* wasting food.  The food is there for the players, not for efficiency reasons.  Additionally, I rarely munch, only doing so in an early camp sometimes or if I haven't planned well when traveling to another town.  As bad as munching is efficiency wise, and as bad as recommending munching is in general, munching is still better than starving to death.

By "potatoes", I meant potato players, those who don't contribute at all in their life because they either crashed or went AFK, but some people keeps feeding them to not lose points for this stupid score. This is indeed not a crafting competition, but you can admit that the one who crafted 20 bowls and plates is more useful to the family and future generations than the one who ate all the berries.

#13 2020-12-11 10:24:44

Spoonwood

MrsDuckGirl wrote:

By "potatoes", I meant potato players, those who don't contribute at all in their life because they either crashed or went AFK, but some people keeps feeding them to not lose points for this stupid score.

That makes more sense now, thanks.  What's your feelings/thoughts on how people will feed potatoes to keep family lines going?  Do you think it's a bad call such "potato" characters, comatose?

Danish Clinch.

#14 2020-12-11 12:00:07

MrsDuckGirl

Well, it depends. If the last fertile female alive is a potato, then obviously feed her and take care of her babies. If there are already 3-4 fertile women in the family, no need to bother and waste food, especially if the town is already struggling with food. I had a life once, born as a boy, and game crashed when I was about 1-2. Impossible to reconnect. Then looking on the family tree, I discovered that I died at age 20. People kept feeding me. That's kind, but what's the point ? I was male anyway. Keep food for people who are actually playing.
Don't forget it's only a game and it's okay if a family dies out. It's a bit sad, it's a pity, but it's okay.
About the words to use... I don't really mind. I like "potato". "Comatose" is ok too, but there's a bit of sadness in this word. As long as it's not an insult, I'm ok with anything.

Board footer