One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-12-05 17:50:39

Spoonwood

Jason, Maps Are Getting Used

Specifically, they have gotten used for waystones for town names.  I've seen such waystones, one space above or below the main fire usually, in Mushroom Gorge, a town where Batman family lived, a few other towns before the Thanksgiving sale and Tiktok promotion, and even in a town this weekend on a Twitch stream as can get seen at about 1:49:44 here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/826405532  Maps will likely get used for this purpose in the future, as it seems like a fairly easy to name a town and have that town name recognized.  Such maps might also get transferred to other towns in anticipation of scavenging, and now that I remember, I once traveled to Batman family and one of the nice ladies there suggested that if I was going home that life, that I take a map (I was brown that life).

Naming a town is also part of, or can be part of that town's culture.  A town having a culture is necessary for civilization building.

Of course, this post isn't a statement of a problem, but rather it's to prevent or nullify a confusion that seems like it's going around.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-12-05 20:44:07)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#2 2020-12-05 18:02:16

Spoonwood

Re: Jason, Maps Are Getting Used

Scavenging dead towns does have its uses for many players.  It's also not the case one can scavenge everything useful from a dead town in a single trip.

Danish Clinch.

#3 2020-12-05 18:11:38

Dodge

"Naming towns" the true purpose of maps all along, Spoonwod has spoken.

#4 2020-12-05 18:16:16

Spoonwood

Dodge wrote:

"Naming towns" the true purpose of maps all along, Spoonwod has spoken.

I'm pretty sure I talked about more than that.  I simply would not assert that "naming towns" as the true purpose of maps.  One could also name a garden by such a method or a fancy graveyard even like the one in Kraut town a few weeks back with 3x3 design with bay trees in the middle plot, and that could have cultural meaning for some players.  Again, culture is necessary for civilization building.

Danish Clinch.

#5 2020-12-05 18:39:18

Dodge

Oooh naming gardens and graveyards my bad so it's not only about naming towns it's way more serious than i thought, my apologies.

How about using maps to name dogs?

Using dead content to revive dead content that might work right, i have to call the president i might be onto something.

#6 2020-12-05 19:39:41

Spoonwood

Dodge wrote:

Oooh naming gardens and graveyards my bad so it's not only about naming towns it's way more serious than i thought, my apologies.

The game gets advertised as one about civilization building.  Culture is involved in civilization building by necessity.  Graveyards will continue to exist, and I think that Jason is well aware that they exist for cultural purposes mostly.  I think he's also aware that gardens exist sometimes for cultural purposes.

Dodge wrote:

Manipulation would be to achieve a specific goal by certain means like using deceptive or untruthful statements, also constantly using big words like these gets old, they should be used for acts that really justify to be called this way, otherwise pretty much everyone is manipulative if you ever lied once in your life in order to get something or get out of a situation, you manipulated them into thinking something erroneous.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 51#p104051

You haven't stated a serious problem Dodge.  You only used the "big word" serious, without even showing a serious conflict with the concepts of the game.

You also made an untrutful statement since you titled your post "Maps are dead content".

You said:

Dodge wrote:

No reason to make a map to a village just need to find the magical stone.

That is an untruthful statement, since a reason for map comes as to scavenge dead towns.  Especially for resources like rubber, since if you're Ginger, you'll might need to travel diagonally to get rubber, in case there are no jungle or desert experts at a particular time.  And make no mistake, over the course of a week, there always exists sometime when there are no jungle experts or no desert experts within reachable distance, if they exist at all.  Or to scavenge for kerosene as black.  And the issue of getting such supplies becomes even more pronounced with larger families as exists now.

You said this:

Dodge wrote:

Cant make more than one village per family because you are magically tied to a place.

Again, that is an untruthful statement also, since satellite towns have existed, another well can get dug, and iron can get imported.

Your specific goal likely was to convince Jason and others that maps are dead content.  They are content that is alive.

So again, I call an attempt at manipulation on your part, and now by your own stated standards.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-12-05 19:41:09)

Danish Clinch.

#7 2020-12-05 20:01:29

Dodge

Stop nitpicking you know exactly what i'm talking about.

#8 2020-12-05 20:42:46

Spoonwood

Dodge wrote:

Stop nitpicking you know exactly what i'm talking about.

Alright, Dodge said:

Dodge wrote:

How about using maps to name dogs?

Using dead content to revive dead content that might work right, i have to call the president i might be onto something.

Dodge's first sentence was sarcastic.  When sarcasm gets used in general it's simply not clear what a person is exactly talking about often enough.  And it wasn't clear here.  No, I don't know what Dodge was talking about. 

Dodges last sentence also wasn't exacatly clear either.  That said, maps are not dead content.  They ARE getting used.  Dodge's insistence that they are dead content in spite of me mentioning experiences with evidence of them showing them getting used shows how little interest he has in acknowledging truth here.  Honestly, how can anyone who knows how maps get used to mark waystones believe that Dodge has spoken truthfully here by implying maps "dead content" after seeing the Twitch video linked to in the original post?

Danish Clinch.

#9 2020-12-05 20:51:11

DestinyCall

This is hilarious.

#10 2020-12-05 20:56:38

HeyABlueJay

Glad you like my town names, Spoonwood. I really appreciate it. tongue

#11 2020-12-05 20:58:37

Dodge

Maps best use is a cheap replacement to wooden signs...sad

That's like using railcarts as a bigger storage box and saying "see it's not dead content"

#12 2020-12-05 21:14:53

Spoonwood

Dodge wrote:

Maps best use is a cheap replacement to wooden signs...sad

No, that doesn't hold for maps.  It's marked waystones.  And even then wooden signs block sight of objects behind them.  Way stones don't.  So, marked way stones come as an improvement in one respect to signs in a crowded location, like say a nursery.

Dodge wrote:

That's like using railcarts as a bigger storage box and saying "see it's not dead content"

Railcarts as a bigger storage box ensures that they will keep getting used in the future.  Bpskotch figured out that such railcarts can be useful for transporting charcoal.  Also, I saw a railcart from the sheep pen to the kitchen in Mushroom Gorge (originally ran inside of the kitchen, but later just outside of the kitchen).

But railcarts getting used as a bigger storage box does show that such is not dead content, and is instead active content.  Simple as that.

Danish Clinch.

#13 2020-12-05 21:20:26

Spoonwood

HeyABlueJay wrote:

You're welcome.  But, in all honesty, some of them did raise an eyebrow.  I did know of one of them, which iirc, had the words "Mr." and "magical" that I saw got erased before/during one of Twisted's streams.  Then again, I expect one has to take risks on names to find interesting names and there's variation in taste, so I'm not saying any name was wrong per se.

Danish Clinch.

#14 2020-12-05 21:25:01

Dodge

Dodge wrote:

Spoonwood wrote:

But railcarts getting used as a bigger storage box does show that such is not dead content, and is instead active content.  Simple as that.

You really dont get it, so weird, if i didn't know you to some extent i could swear that you are actually trolling.

#15 2020-12-05 21:28:58

HeyABlueJay

Spoonwood wrote:
HeyABlueJay wrote:

You're welcome.  But, in all honesty, some of them did raise an eyebrow.  I did know of one of them, which iirc, had the words "Mr." and "magical" that I saw got erased before/during one of Twisted's streams.  Then again, I expect one has to take risks on names to find interesting names and there's variation in taste, so I'm not saying any name was wrong per se.

I try to keep names varied. I used to just do naturey names-because I had a whole chart of nature names for one of my projects, and I remember someone got upset with me because "they all have meadow in the name!" so these days I try to have more variation. Sometimes it's wholesome and beautiful, sometimes it's downright silly, sometimes it's a bit dirty, and sometimes it's a reference to something, etc. It really just depends on my mood at the time of naming the town. Sometimes I do try to make it suit the town, though-for example, Mushroom Gorge.

#16 2020-12-05 21:31:14

Spoonwood

Welcome to the forums HeyABlueJay.

Danish Clinch.

#17 2020-12-05 21:35:50

HeyABlueJay

Spoonwood wrote:

Thank you!

#18 2020-12-05 22:56:24

Spoonwood

HeyABlueJay wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

Thank you!

YOU'RE WELCOME!

I FORGIVE EVE WELCOME (not that I had you cursed, but it sounded better).

Danish Clinch.

#19 2020-12-06 02:32:30

schmloo

Maps are mostly only useful for making waystones, since maps can be thrown out of town and hidden easily. Waystones are the real useful item.

A good use for them, especially before homeland bands, is/was to help non-mod users to find the nearest expert waystone. Another good use for them is to store information, such as useful tips for newer players to follow, to limit the spread of bad practice.

I don’t think that they’re dead content; they can have fairly creative applications, being used for something that they likely weren’t intended to be used for in the first place. Take for example their use for town naming.

Insert OHOL-related signature here

#20 2020-12-06 02:42:20

Morti

Spoonwood wrote:

YOU'RE WELCOME!

I FORGIVE EVE WELCOME.

Don't make me keep my thoughts behind a property fence.

smile

"That is MY grandfather's axe!"
"He was my grandfather too."

Love you, Spoon.
(Few but I will lift the weight of those words. Just want to let you know; I have.)

#21 2020-12-06 03:17:17

Spoonwood

Morti wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

YOU'RE WELCOME!

I FORGIVE EVE WELCOME.

Don't make me keep my thoughts behind a property fence.

smile

"That is MY grandfather's axe!"
"He was my grandfather too."

Love you, Spoon.
(Few but I will lift the weight of those words. Just want to let you know; I have.)

Love you too Morti.

Danish Clinch.

#22 2020-12-09 16:29:45

Hailerm

cool

Engine Mastah

Board footer