One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-24 12:30:50

Glassius

[suggestion] Wider tools variety on low technology level

Reddit suggestion

Now with decay system and tool breaking it would be reasonable to add low level tools doing the same as high level, but faster to break.

This way hunther gatherer way of playing (something I enjoy currently) may base on something more than just eating everything and moving away. It is rare to be able, as hunter gatherer, to craft backpack and bows/arrows and actually hunt. I believe almost no one was born to such a family, who leaves farming and can sustain itself for like 3 generations. This is of course because of lack of milkweed. It is little annoying running trough resurcefull bioms and searching for milkweed stalks, which are so rare. You need extreme luck to find 12 stalks essential to sustain basing camp, not even talking about clothes...

But the most primitive tools don't usually need rope nor stalks. Ideas:
a). Fire
1. Fire sticks. Use flint chip on skewer to make firesticks. Use firesticks on leaf to make ember leaf. 3 uses before break.
2. Fire bow drill: use at it is. I don't know if it breaks, but breakable fire bow drill creates need for something more durable
3. Fire striker: combine high coal steel fire striker head (crucible with rough iron and 2 charcoals, the rest like regular steel tool heads) with flint chips. May last very long. May be used directly on tinder instead of ember, to simulate how fast it is to start fire with it
b). Axes:
1. Celt stone hatchet without ropes. To attach sharp stone (or shaped sharp stone: use rock on hard stone) to short shaft, use flint chip or hot coal to make hole in the shaft (Primitive Technology YT channel shows both ways). 5 uses
2. Stone hatchet with ropes: more durable version which needs rope to craft, leave as is (maybe add need for shaped sharp stone). Moderate numer of uses, like 15.
3. Steel axe. Leave as it is
c). Knifes:
1. Flint chips and sharp stone: make breaking fast
2. Flint knife: to honor Ötzi, who possesed it along with bronze adze. All the uses as knife (including killing), but much less durable than steel knife. 12 uses
3. Steel knife: leave as it is

This way a group of hunter gatherers is actually able to wear clothes, make fire, raise kids and move from place to place, using only low number of milkweed (for snares and bows) and sustain this way of living. I think it also would match philosophy "everything runs out". How do you think? Post it on Reddit?

Last edited by Glassius (2018-09-28 22:51:34)

#2 2018-04-24 14:16:58

breezeknight

Re: [suggestion] Wider tools variety on low technology level

i would like to have a full range stone age tools,
but it's probably not gonna happen sad

& we would need finally something to carry either the baby (baby sling) or the basket (balance on head)
also would be nice to have a reed/wheat alternative to the rabbit skin backpack, less durable but otherwise working the same

btw suggestions here in
https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggestions/

- - -

Last edited by breezeknight (2018-04-24 14:19:06)

#3 2018-04-24 15:22:30

Glassius

Re: [suggestion] Wider tools variety on low technology level

breezeknight wrote:

& we would need finally something to carry either the baby (baby sling) or the basket (balance on head)
also would be nice to have a reed/wheat alternative to the rabbit skin backpack, less durable but otherwise working the same

I think update will add riding kids in carts. But hunter gatherer style is called "travois", the low level version of carts.

Board footer