One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-11-25 13:06:10

The_Anabaptist

A change in residence

As Jason's family proceeds with their cross country move, he has pointed out some differences between the locales.

My question for the day is:  How do you imagine this change in locale will impact Jason's development priorities in the game?  Will endless vistas of ever changing clouds inspire more weather mechanics in game?  Will all those help wanted signs in storefronts mean that our meeples will require more defined job roles in the future?  Let's hear your ideas!

The_Anabaptist

#2 2020-11-25 14:24:09

Eve Troll

Re: A change in residence

Cheddar will likely be added.

#3 2020-11-25 18:16:39

Arcurus

lol finally we know know why we had no winter, California didn't had one smile

yea more weather stuff in the game would be nice and bring more challenges...

#4 2020-11-25 18:19:30

StrongForce

Yeah feeding a large town in winter should be hard!

Baby dance!!

#5 2020-11-25 20:01:00

PeaGirl

If weathers would bring out debuffs and buffs, why not.
Though let's keep in mind that winter in desert area is... not gonna be realistic.
Other than that it would seem interesting.

If you ever enter Pea (Helkama turns into random name) family, you need the lottery ticket picked up. My baby names given can be absolutely random.
"Are you fueled with peasoup or why you keep running off from temperature tile?"

#6 2020-11-25 20:47:41

antking:]#

I have ideas for how a weather system would work ever since the rift, but ever since bands I have reworked that idea so how I see it working is that we have invisible vertical bands, moving from left to right these bands could be called "clouds" and it will role a random cloud setting like this
50% sunny
30% light rain
10% light snow
5% heavy snow
5% heavy rain

but you could even take it a step farther, and have each band in the cloud have its own cloud status like this

Desert band :
70% sunny
25% light rain
5% heavy rain

Tundra band:
50% sunny
30% light snow
15% heavy snow
5% snow storm

Jungle band

40% sunny
30% light rain
20% heavy rain
10% Lighting storm (+heavy rain)

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#7 2020-11-25 22:32:54

The_Anabaptist

antking:]# wrote:

I have ideas for how a weather system would work ever since the rift, but ever since bands I have reworked that idea so how I see it working is that we have invisible vertical bands, moving from left to right these bands could be called "clouds" and it will role a random cloud setting like this
50% sunny
30% light rain
10% light snow
5% heavy snow
5% heavy rain

but you could even take it a step farther, and have each band in the cloud have its own cloud status like this

Desert band :
70% sunny
25% light rain
5% heavy rain

Tundra band:
50% sunny
30% light snow
15% heavy snow
5% snow storm

Jungle band

40% sunny
30% light rain
20% heavy rain
10% Lighting storm (+heavy rain)

Or you could keep a single set of percentages across the board, but swap the effects.  Snow in an arctic biome is a sandstorm in a desert biome, or a monsoon in a jungle biome, etc.

The_Anabaptist

#8 2020-11-25 23:26:38

DestinyCall

PeaGirl wrote:

If weathers would bring out debuffs and buffs, why not.
Though let's keep in mind that winter in desert area is... not gonna be realistic.
Other than that it would seem interesting.

Actually, winter in the desert is realistic.   What would be unrealistic is winter in the jungle.

Deserts are defined by low precipitation, not high temperature.  Some deserts are even located in arctic regions and remain cold all year round.   Other deserts are in temperate climates and have significant seasonal variation, including long cold winters.  The hottest deserts are subtropical, but even these deserts get cooler in the winter and can become frigid cold at night.   Of course, snowfall is rare due to the lack of moisture that is common to all deserts.

Tropical and subtropical regions tend to fluctuated between a stormy/rainy season and a drier season, rather than the traditional four seasons experienced in temperate zones, so winter in the jungle would be weird.

#9 2020-11-26 00:57:25

PeaGirl

Yeah, Destincall, and snowmen hug cactuses there.
Even though there are cold deserts, we're not currently looking at the hot desert, the cold desert you could consider as tundra of sorts anyway.

If you ever enter Pea (Helkama turns into random name) family, you need the lottery ticket picked up. My baby names given can be absolutely random.
"Are you fueled with peasoup or why you keep running off from temperature tile?"

#10 2020-11-26 01:19:46

DestinyCall

There are no snowmen in the desert, because it rarely snows, as I previously stated.  But deserts do have seasons.   And winter in a semi-arid desert is bitter and cold.   

Heck, even a classic deep desert can get a very rare snowfall when conditions are just right, as seen in this photo of the Saharah desert after a snowfall. 

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way … -with-snow

But that's not really my point.   

Not all deserts are subtropical.   Some have true winter, like the Gobi desert in Mongolia.  These deserts are sometimes described as "cold deserts", but they should not be confused with tundra and polar regions that are usually cold year round.  Semi-arid deserts have a hot dry summer and a cold winter, like other temperate climates.   

The assumption that "desert = hot" is not accurate.  I blame movies and tv shows.

#11 2020-11-26 03:30:49

Cogito

DestinyCall wrote:

The assumption that "desert = hot" is not accurate.

I generally agree with what you've been saying, and like the ideas, however let's not forget we are talking about the desert biome in OHOL - which definitely *is* hot. So the question is should *this* kind of desert get cold, or perhaps some other kind of weather effect. I like the idea of sandstorms from a thematic and gameplay point of view - something like reduced visibility, but you can harvest more sand if you're prepared.

With all these ideas, however, we need to consider how they may be mixed in with the game engine. At the moment everything isbased on the generation and interaction of items, mediated by the kind of tile the item is in or generated in.

A weather even could potentially change the tile biome to an 'alternate' - so the ice thaws and now the badlands family can enter the new biome for a small amount of time, or something like that.

Interested to hear how people think their ideas could be implemented.

#12 2020-11-26 04:37:03

DestinyCall

Cogito wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

The assumption that "desert = hot" is not accurate.

I generally agree with what you've been saying, and like the ideas, however let's not forget we are talking about the desert biome in OHOL - which definitely *is* hot. So the question is should *this* kind of desert get cold, or perhaps some other kind of weather effect. I like the idea of sandstorms from a thematic and gameplay point of view - something like reduced visibility, but you can harvest more sand if you're prepared.

Technically, I was not talking about the OHOL deserts, but rather simply pointing out that there is nothing unrealistic about winter in a desert, in response to PeeGirl's comment.   

As far as I know, the OHOL desert is not intended to be a realistic representation of any particular real world desert.   But if I was to guess, it looks like Jason may have taken inspiration from large deserts in North America, like the Mohave desert.   Both rattlesnakes and barrel cactus are found in the deserts of the southwestern United States. And wild mustangs can be found in adjacent regions, I suppose.  There are other things like glasswort, that do not belong in any desert, but I imagine that was a stylistic choice.

The Mohave desert is a temperate "cold" desert with a discrete winter period where temperatures can drop below zero, so it would be reasonable to expect the OHOL desert could be a temperate desert, if we had actual weather.  The OHOL desert even looks a lot like the Mohave.

If Jason decides to implement weather and seasonal temperature changes, the desert could get colder in winter, but should still be warmer than the normally much colder biomes.   Then in the summer, it gets much hotter, as it is now.

I also like the idea of wind or sand storms in the desert.   The OHOL desert doesn't really look like a sandy desert to me, but high wind conditions are common in most deserts due to the lack of natural wind breaks, like trees, and the atmospheric effects that create the dry hot deserts themselves. 

Unfortunately, I know this idea has been floated before and implementation was troublesome.   OHOL's temperature system is really complex, but not in a way that supports weather effects, to my knowledge.

But it doesn't hurt to dream!

#13 2020-11-26 23:22:47

Morti

If the game doesn't support it, then add another layer, for the player to view, that does?
Ever play Life? Conway's Game of Life? Simple rules for cells, can lead to a lot.
Heat & Cold could spread and grow from Deserts Jungles or Tundra.
Percipitation, could have similar rules and spawn from the Swamp (and maybe someday lake and ocean biomes) or even the Jungle, if it's to be seen like a rain forest - trees transpose a lot of water, a lot more than we give them credit for as emphasis is most often placed on the evaporation of water from large bodies, like the Atlantic, throwing hurricanes up the north, getting absorbed by North America or ricocheting of and going to Europe.

Where was I?

Trees transpire a continuous stream of humidity that flows over the lands downwind.

sTfsvMD.png

Keeping them 'fertile' and, without it... we get desertification.

Desertification_map.png

Board footer