One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-11-23 18:26:13

PeaGirl

Your first grief?

What was it like to grief?
Any motive for grief?
Also, did you get good/bad reaction from it? Was it worth the DT?

And, long last I'm back online after a while. This game feels lot different than it was back then.

If you ever enter Pea (Helkama turns into random name) family, you need the lottery ticket picked up. My baby names given can be absolutely random.
"Are you fueled with peasoup or why you keep running off from temperature tile?"

#2 2020-11-23 19:08:49

DestinyCall

Re: Your first grief?

Why would you start a thread like this?

Do not give attention to griefers. That's really fucked up.

#3 2020-11-23 19:48:35

QuirkySmirkyIan

From what I can recall my first grief was being an "arc ender" and slave labor camps. The motive was boredom and frustration with the rift. I got very negative reactions towards my actions and they made it upset so I stopped. I didn't go to DT often because I didn't play many lives a day so I did not accumulate a lot of curses.

Open gate now. Need truck to be more efficient!

#4 2020-11-23 23:54:40

PeaGirl

DestinyCall wrote:

Why would you start a thread like this?

Do not give attention to griefers. That's really fucked up.

Someone's seemingly rich in experience of griefers.
This is just to reminisce the good old times, when griefing wasn't as hard, or just to see what's different.
Besides, game doesn't exactly punish you so terribly for griefing, so I see no reason to call it fucked up,
nor I have much of sentient for stick figure players. It is long way to be impactful.

If you ever enter Pea (Helkama turns into random name) family, you need the lottery ticket picked up. My baby names given can be absolutely random.
"Are you fueled with peasoup or why you keep running off from temperature tile?"

#5 2020-11-24 00:10:25

DestinyCall

Yeah, I have met your kind before and you are not welcome here.   Reminisce about the "good old times" some where else.

#6 2020-11-24 00:18:10

jord1990

DestinyCall wrote:

Yeah, I have met your kind before and you are not welcome here.   Reminisce about the "good old times" some where else.

Please be respectful, even if you have different view on the "Good old times" .

making comments like "I have met your kind and you are not welcome here" are unacceptable.

#7 2020-11-24 00:56:41

sigmen4020

PeaGirl wrote:

nor I have much of sentient for stick figure players. It is long way to be impactful.

How is this a justification exactly? It doesn’t matter what kind of avatar players have, there’s still a real human behind that avatar no matter what it looks like. Would you then emphasize more with players in a game with realistic graphics like say Rainbow Six Siege for example, because their avatar isn’t a stick figure?

Last edited by sigmen4020 (2020-11-24 01:09:29)

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#8 2020-11-24 01:01:40

Cantface

Memories of OHOl are getting fuzzy for me, it's been too long... But-

Mothers that abandon their babies is a given, it's going to happen. Some just keep running and a few say sorry, that's totally fine. "N-P" I used to say to the kinder ones.

But when a mom picked me up and said something along the lines of "You're going to die here lol" and then put me down, I poked bear caves in response. This was before babies were born flopping around on the ground like fish. Don't even know/remember if they got her but eh. I have only ever done negative actions in game after being provoked. If I felt my rage building towards the game I would just take breaks. the more it happened, the longer the breaks I took. In fact I haven't played a life in heck knows how long.

There was a whole town of griefers once. Crazy cultists that ritually stabbed eachother but then used up any and all meds to heal themselves, wasting both resources and time. None of them worked so a tiny minority was struggling to do most of the work and the town was dying as a result, unsalvageable. Two young girls wanted to leave, so I loaded them up with all the filling foods I could find among a few other resources and they left before I died.

Breasticles

#9 2020-11-24 05:21:27

NoTruePunk

Never griefed, but turned off a paver by accident right when the road worker had started it. They killed me. Thankfully no curses earned. I've been cursed for petty things like grabbing a tool I didn't realize someone was using, etc.

#10 2020-11-24 08:54:38

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

Begone griefers

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#11 2020-11-24 14:48:21

Cantface

Griefing is part of the game remember? We all learned that the hard way.

Breasticles

#12 2020-11-24 15:43:56

DestinyCall

Cantface wrote:

Griefing is part of the game remember? We all learned that the hard way.

I consider griefing in the same category as cyber-bullying.   It is harmful and toxic and it thrives by targeting the weak and vulnerable.  I do not see it as an acceptable behavior in any multi-player game.

Griefing hurts real people.  It is not something that should be accepted as a normal part of the game.  We should not welcome it into our community with open arms.   

No good will come from that.

#13 2020-11-24 18:41:33

Cantface

Yes it does! And yet people still do it and will continue to do so. When that mum rubbed my inevitable death in my face that wasn't griefing? I should just take it and move on yes? Be the bigger person? In theory yes but if you poke the bear so will I.

It's just inevitable unfortunately. Some people get provoked and others wanna see the world burn. Some do it to protest and they're given ample tools to wreak havoc.
IMO, if you've done far more good than bad in game then I certainly won't hold it against you or be self righteous about it. It just be like that sometimes.

Breasticles

#14 2020-11-25 01:00:23

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

Everyone is responsible for their own actions. Griefers always be like "Dude they provoked me, they didn't give me their hat!!!!" Or some other stupid bullshit excuse then use that as a reason they grief.

Grow up children. You are responsible for the things you do. Your choices, your actions are YOURS and yours alone.

I also /blush.

#15 2020-11-25 01:43:02

Eve Troll

Provoking griefers is only going to make their behavior worse. Their actions might be their own but their inspiration for those actions are often not. Blaming them exclusively is just as bad as them blaming you exclusively. We all play a part in the social dynamics of this game. Creating an us against them environment is, absolutely, what has lead to the increased aggression of griefers over the last year. Bullying them, belittling them, and taking extreme acts against minor behavior only makes things worse. If you want to fix griefing you should try to find a way to fix what makes the person do it in the first place. Its rare a griefer isnt angry or sad or given up hope on this community. You could be that hope instead of cutting their wounds even deeper. Attacking problems in society has never worked, and often only makes things worse. Take the war on drugs for example. All it has done is make the black market more cunning and aggressive. Food for thought.

Last edited by Eve Troll (2020-11-25 01:44:14)

#16 2020-11-25 02:51:37

BlueCramberry64

mm my first grif was back in the days of the temp update. People were not as sharp as they are now so it was pretty easy to starve medium sized towns.  I also occasionally went after the last girl of the family, when that was a thing. I rarely targeted eve towns because they were fun to play in, and I liked big cities so I never went after any either (Also, taking down a hole city as a sole griffer was hard... but possible).

I have never been in DT. If you know what you are doing you don't get caught easily. As for my reasons, well, like many I was frustrated with the changes in the game so it was a sort of protest. Pretty pointless because Jason is not one to listen easily to the community. That aside, back in the day the game sort of encouraged grieffing in a weird way. Somewhere between hitting the hard part of the tech tree and getting griffed a lot, some make the mistake of giving into that dark side. Didn't lasted long thou. Once I knew the town's weak points good grieffers attacked, I had a lot of fun stopping many, reconstructing, and repopulating dead towns. So yeah, weird times.

But yess, grieffing and being griffed aint nice. Kind of like, being robbed doesn't give you the right to rob others. Just my though thou. Nice thread thou.

Last edited by BlueCramberry64 (2020-11-25 02:54:56)

#17 2020-11-25 02:53:31

Uncreative Guy

Eve Troll wrote:

Provoking griefers is only going to make their behavior worse. Their actions might be their own but their inspiration for those actions are often not. Blaming them exclusively is just as bad as them blaming you exclusively. We all play a part in the social dynamics of this game. Creating an us against them environment is, absolutely, what has lead to the increased aggression of griefers over the last year. Bullying them, belittling them, and taking extreme acts against minor behavior only makes things worse. If you want to fix griefing you should try to find a way to fix what makes the person do it in the first place. Its rare a griefer isnt angry or sad or given up hope on this community. You could be that hope instead of cutting their wounds even deeper. Attacking problems in society has never worked, and often only makes things worse. Take the war on drugs for example. All it has done is make the black market more cunning and aggressive. Food for thought.

How could I give a griefer hope when I don’t even have hope anymore myself, because they are killing it?  The reason I haven’t played in 2 weeks is because everything I do will be destroyed.  The reason I don’t grief is because I have the moral integrity to let others enjoy themselves, instead of ruining the fun of others, just for a slight bit of joy from me.  Griefers made me leave the game.  They won.  I don’t have any desire to play because they have no integrity like me.  How do I give them hope when I feel like this?  They don’t experience the same attachment that I feel to families.  They have the advantage.  I hold no power over them ingame.  Literally all you can do in a desperate attempt to gain power reasonably and fight back, is to get in their head.  Otherwise, your just another pawn, who’s day has been ruined, and they don’t care.  What’s the solution?  Showering them with love and acceptance?  Why waste my precious time on Earth on someone who might or might not change?  If the jabs to get in their head don’t work like they haven’t so far, the game might as well be abandoned.  Sorry to the noobs that thought they would have their own little utopia and make their marks, all destroyed because people don’t have integrity to play nice.

I’m not creative enough to make a creative signature which explains my noncreative nickname of Uncreative Guy.

#18 2020-11-25 03:38:40

Eve Troll

In my experience most griefers are hurting. If not from in game experiences often from their own personal issues. Im not saying you should give them love and acceptance, but maybe some empathy. They're people too, maybe they have lost their way, maybe they're taking their anger out about personal issues in game, maybe they have been broken so many times they feel the need to break others. These people do need help and im not suggesting you give it to them if you dont want to. Its easy to hate, its easy to hurt, but its hard to heal. If we dont have the capacity to be the bigger people who is going to have it? As i see it the current method of dealing with griefers hasnt helped, made things worse, and leaves a lot of innocent people in the crossfire. Do we want to be the people who lose ourselves in the fight against them, get warped and twisted by the anger and resentment, until we mirror something similar to them? I believe there is a way to rise above griefers without pain, without hurting others, and without inspiring them to continue their behavior. We just have to be the ones to work hard enough to find it.

Also, griefers are rarely on during the weekdays and everywhere during the weekends. If you want a truer experience and one without as much hardship i recommend not playing during the weekend as much.

#19 2020-11-25 04:32:51

Cantface

Haha grow up indeed. I can't say what I'd really like to in response to that BUT I can say with confidence that probably a majority of the OHOL playerbase have turned to griefing and anti hero antics at some point and I find it very unlikely that people have never griefed before. I don't believe that at all. You've never accused/cursed the wrong person? Never jumped to conclusions or made a mistake that ruined someone's experience? Never had an unpleasant argument over something that ended sour or used somebody elses materials/hard work for your own benefit only for them to return to their stuff unable to use it? How would you even know that you haven't unintentionally "griefed" someone? No player is that perfect, everyone makes mistakes or gets heated in certain moments and that doesn't make someone a bad player. Like in real life you wouldn't punish someone severely for a couple minor offences like you would the serial killers. The best griefers are the veterans of course you must know this, they got to that point somehow, right?

But yes put us all in the same basket as those who constantly ruin the game experience even though we may have only been reactive once or twice. What about the "griefers" who purposely acted up when the rift went up, so many people protested in game and that's what led to the rifts eventual removal imo. Those were some pretty good guys to be honest oh and a griefer gave us the Bearena technically they created entertainment. I'm sure there's more examples too.

You know Black hat/Grey hat/White hat hacking? I think griefers come in a few kinds so to say they're all the same is point blank period wrong.

But let's just agree to disagree. I doubt we're ever going to be on the same wavelength here. About anything.

Last edited by Cantface (2020-11-25 04:44:06)

Breasticles

#20 2020-11-25 06:43:14

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

We all have problems and issues. If you can't play a video game without making your issues everyone else's you need to grow up.

I also /blush.

#21 2020-11-25 07:27:32

Eve Troll

I remember this pair of anti-griefers who triggered back to back apocalypses then immediately went back to bullying people for micro griefing.

An interesting world we live in huh?

Last edited by Eve Troll (2020-11-25 07:28:00)

#22 2020-11-25 07:59:43

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

Sounds like you're being unfriendly and unwelcoming. Guess I have no choice but to grief you as it's impossible to control my anger you triggered. Maybe you should fix yourself if you don't want to be griefed.

I also /blush.

#23 2020-11-25 08:24:14

Eve Troll

#24 2020-11-25 11:36:21

sigmen4020

Cantface wrote:

How would you even know that you haven't unintentionally "griefed" someone?

I’m sorry, but you can’t unintentionally grief someone. That contradicts the definition of the word ”griefer”. Griefing is all about intent. If you never intended to ruin someone’s time, but did so unintentionally then that’s not griefing. Making critical mistakes or being involved in misunderstandings doesn’t constitute griefing. Here’s the definition of the word ”griefer” you get from Google:

griefer
/ˈɡriːfə/
nounINFORMAL
(in an online game or community) a person who harasses or deliberately provokes other players or members in order to spoil their enjoyment.
"a class of entrepreneurs is emerging who see griefers not just as an annoyance but as a potential source of lost revenue"

Notice the use of the word “deliberately” in that definition. You don’t grief by accident.

Last edited by sigmen4020 (2020-11-25 11:53:06)

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#25 2020-11-25 14:20:32

Eve Troll

By that definition doesnt that make anti-griefers griefers as well? I dont know anyone in the community who provokes and harasses people more. Their intentions might be pure, but there are innocent people who get burned or have their experiences ruined. I think thats more what cantface is talking about. The term griefer/grief gets thrown around pretty loosely surrounding this game and each persons definition of griefing is a bit different. The common theme of it tends towards tarnishing or ruining someone's experience while playing. In that sense its pretty easy to unintentionally grief.

Last edited by Eve Troll (2020-11-25 14:21:46)

Board footer