One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-11-23 03:19:52

Kilian

Griefing series in June 2020, cause and apology

Dear all,

In the first two weeks of June, I started a series of griefing which wreacked havoc on the main server as well as in several low-pop-server towns. In the following I would like to explain what caused me to get so angry and afterwards apologise for the harm which I have done.

My usual goal when playing OHOL
Usually, I just want to play some lives, have a nice time with others, every now and then roleplaying as the nice child of my mom and raising kids (mostly when I play a female model), sometimes invent something unseen or make gardens.

At that time, another important goal was to distract me from the Corona pandemic and my personal problems, which comprised living during said pandemic alone in a foreign country and having made first, ofc unsuccessfull, experiments with the stock market. Playing OHOL was the only calming constant for me.

What was the incident?
Oftentimes, for some reason even stronger in May and early June, excessive berry bush planting was plaguing the towns on the main server. At that time, I saw other players, probably some of the other more experienced ones, trying to fix the farms by removing berry bushes, and therefore decided to lend a helping hand in that effort. After a while, though, I got kind of tired of repeatedly fixing the berry bush farms. On 04. June 2020 some nice, innocent random dude was helping me in removing those berry bushes, after someone else made a small, neat berry farm nearby to the sheep pen. After those unneeded berry bushes had been removed, I decided to explicitly not provide the by me produced kindling to the town, but demonstratively burn it down.
This action caught Yikes' attention. Without hesitation, they issued an order to the town to curse me, which more than 5 people immediately followed. Moreover, my model got attacked with a knife, directly after receiving those curses. The nice, innocent dude who was helping me in fixing the farm, healed my character model. Instead of talking to us, Yikes and their companion attacked in turn the innocent guy. This infuriated me extremly. Of course my model got stabbed for a second time, while I was standing there and trying to talk to Yikes. Due to the at that time present settings of the game, 5-10 curses were enough to end up in DT (if there were not a very recently by Jason introduced bug at that time, see below), classifying me as a griefer like Bobo Bill - which personally hurt me quite a bit. But what made me even angrier, was the attack on the random dude who healed me, not understanding what all this beef was about.
What stayed was the anger and the prospect that I would as soon as Jason fixed that bug, not being able to play OHOL on the main server during my usual play times anymore.

After this incident, I lashed out against basically everyone at once in the OHOL-discord-chat, and stating that I would be leaving. After a question about what happened, Slinky answered as well with what I received as a taunt (my account is the one from the "Deleted User"):
anger.png

This message was what pushed me over the edge. Despite it having been only 5-7 players who cursed me in that town after Yikes' order to do so, I decided to take my revenge on the whole game community for what I felt as unfair treatment. At that time, I was way too angry to calm down and see what bullshit I was going to do. My revenge was intended to show the game community what I had observed as all the different kinds of hardcore griefing, and also produce a wound on both sides which would make it impossible for me to return.
Despite 5-7 curses being usually enough to be locked in DT at that time, Jason had done some change which pushed the families far more apart than before - which allowed me to play in normal towns. I exploited this massively.
In the lives which I played after the 4th of June, I was
- cursing every experienced player which I encountered, thus preventing them from being born nearby to me during the 1 week during which I was throwing my childish temper tantrum;
- bear griefing each and every town which I could find with 5-10 bears at once; and
- stealing and destroying engines.
In one of the first towns which I killed this way, I met a person who very civilised cursed me, explaining why he did that - which gave me a very strong hunch that I actually griefed Twisted, whom I respect and like a lot. Instead of stopping, I felt that I had passed the point of no return and thus pushed forward with my stupid plan.
After the first towns had died due to my action, the families were spread out very far away apart from each other, thus making it nigh impossible to get past the deep well stage due to the lack of tires.
With this, my account had "finally" accumulated enough curses, that it was locked in DT properly, because it must have had over 20, maybe even over 30 curses.

As I had already seen that a "proper" griefer uses an alt-account, I made one for myself as well with the idiotic name "Antioholist". With that alt account, I was taunting and acting like a mere attention seeking clown, in order to play the ideal griefer, accompanying all the aforementioned actions and bragging about some of those.

After I was done on the main server by accumulating enough curses to have my OHOL-account DT-locked, the next phase started - which was the low-pop-server griefing. For that, I mainly used the same strategy with which some griefer was plaguing the nice ladies on a low pop server, I think server 12, with whom I played some time before June, but who left said server due to said griefer: Ancient wall griefing. In order to find towns, I used waystones to find currently playing Eves which allowed to find even unnamed eves (named ones can be found with the leader-system).
I had told Jason repeatedly to make ancient walls removable, but at that point I just wanted to misuse another bug for my temper tantrum.

There was no pattern, no specific persons I targeted on the low-pop-servers. The only goal was to wreack havoc and make sure that "the game community" sees that nobody is safe, hurting as many as possible in their "safe havens".
When I was done and ready to leave, I placed a shrine-like ancient wall building into the last griefed town, indicating that all of that nonsense was caused by me, and then soon after stopped to play OHOL for a while.
---

Apology
First of all, I want to emphasise that I acknowledge that my anger was nothing which could justify my actions.
Secondly, I take full responsibility for my actions. It was my anger, I did not deal with it properly and conciously made the decision to led my temper out on everyone - ruining your game experience on the main server, and destroying your beautiful low-pop-towns into which you had invested a lot of your valuable time.

I know that I have caused a lot of damage which I cannot undo. The only thing, I can offer, is the promise not to repeat said behaviour. But if there's anything that I can do to make this up to you, please just ask.

Last edited by Kilian (2020-11-23 04:05:40)

#2 2020-11-23 03:42:44

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

Re: Griefing series in June 2020, cause and apology

Why do people always blame me for things Yikes does, I shit talked you but I wasn't playing then

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#3 2020-11-23 03:52:32

Eve Troll

At least you left behind my lucky hat when you griefed our town.

#4 2020-11-23 04:06:37

Kilian

DiscardedSlinky wrote:

Why do people always blame me for things Yikes does, I shit talked you but I wasn't playing then

I am sorry, I amended the post accordingly.

#5 2020-11-23 04:08:33

Kilian

Eve Troll wrote:

At least you left behind my lucky hat when you griefed our town.

You welcomed me into your town, gave me clothing, trusted me, and I misused that trust.
You had invested a lot of time into your town, the fancy colourful clothing and the huge amount of kerosene - and I destroyed by making it inaccessible for no good reason. I am sincerely sorry for having treated you that way.

Last edited by Kilian (2020-11-23 04:14:42)

#6 2020-11-23 04:38:10

Eve Troll

Comparatively i hadnt spent that much time in that town. Clothes were a bummer though, couldnt have cared less about the oil. All in all we recovered ok and are stronger for it.

Im honestly more bummed because it scared off a few people and completely destroyed my trust in randoms on low pop. Its a harsh reality to face but the server is stronger for it. Im glad to see you're working on yourself. Its hard not to hold a grudge when i've lost maybe 200 hours of work to the same person. I understand the anger that lead you to do it though and glad you're in a better place.

#7 2020-11-23 05:43:57

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

I think it is big that you apologized. Good on you Kilian.

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

Board footer