One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-11-08 03:43:55

TheRubyCart

About the american prison system

It's atrocious, A fifth of all prisons are run by companies who will never let prisoners go early even when they deserve it, and even worse is that they have life in prison, and even worse, THE DEATH PENALTY, thank god I don't live in the west, This really saddens me, the system is so corrupt, it makes me feel sick and I'm crying while writing this sad

https://www.reddit.com/r/HistoryMemes/c … in_in_the/

and the comments show even worse information sad(((((

You are amazing, you are loved, and have a good day to whoever might read this <3

#2 2020-11-08 05:17:49

FishRfriendsnotfood
Banned

Re: About the american prison system

the death penalty is a joke, let's have people on death row for 30 years.  what is the point.

I'm fish, deal with it or don't, idgaf

#3 2020-11-08 09:14:34

Eboy

TheRubyCart wrote:

It's atrocious, A fifth of all prisons prisoners go early even when they have life in prison, and even worse, THE DEATH PENALTY This really saddens me, the system is so corrupt, it makes me feel sick and I'm crying while writing this sad

#4 2020-11-08 09:21:22

NoTruePunk

Butts butts butts butts

#5 2020-11-10 04:37:51

DrChef

If anyone feels like looking deeper into this topic  Michelle Alexander's New Jim Crow or the Netflix adaptation 13th are both  informative and eye opening about the racist aspects of mass incarceration

#6 2020-11-10 17:57:49

QuirkySmirkyIan

TheRubyCart wrote:

It's atrocious, A fifth of all prisons are run by companies who will never let prisoners go early even when they deserve it, and even worse is that they have life in prison, and even worse, THE DEATH PENALTY, thank god I don't live in the west, This really saddens me, the system is so corrupt, it makes me feel sick and I'm crying while writing this sad

It's not bad that there run by companies it means the government has less to worry about.

Open gate now. Need truck to be more efficient!

#7 2020-11-10 19:26:27

DestinyCall

Yeah, we wouldn't want the government to worry about such unimportant things.   After all, it is not like the government is involved with sending people to prison, so they are in no way responsible for the treatment of incarcerated citizens.

Oh wait ...

#8 2020-11-11 01:40:43

Legs

You're right. Ideally, law enforcement would be privatized. Just install our 911 app and you can order privately contracted officers to your location at any time for just $9.99 (plus tip). Be warned however that they're paid a piece rate and if they don't deem your emergency worth their time they can and will unassign it & throw the request back into rotation for other contractors. It's just business after all, they need to meet their goals for the day and that means rejecting low offers.

Oh what you're worried about oversight? Don't worry, the app makes sure that its contractors have a valid driver's license, proof of insurance, firearms permit and have completed the appropriate 5-hour security course required for all officers. If there are any issues with service you can call our toll-free help line and speak to an impoverished indian man who will be happy to refund your $9.99 (plus tip).

Loco Motion

#9 2020-11-11 07:29:42

NoTruePunk

Legs wrote:

You're right. Ideally, law enforcement would be privatized. Just install our 911 app and you can order privately contracted officers to your location at any time for just $9.99 (plus tip). Be warned however that they're paid a piece rate and if they don't deem your emergency worth their time they can and will unassign it & throw the request back into rotation for other contractors. It's just business after all, they need to meet their goals for the day and that means rejecting low offers.

Oh what you're worried about oversight? Don't worry, the app makes sure that its contractors have a valid driver's license, proof of insurance, firearms permit and have completed the appropriate 5-hour security course required for all officers. If there are any issues with service you can call our toll-free help line and speak to an impoverished indian man who will be happy to refund your $9.99 (plus tip).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLfghLQE3F4

#10 2020-11-13 03:38:41

TheRubyCart

QuirkySmirkyIan wrote:
TheRubyCart wrote:

It's not bad that there run by companies it means the government has less to worry about.

Companies have incentives to allow prisoner that thing that allows to go early to be denied (sry idk name) and it's just worse for the prisoners, they give random warnings and fees to extort prisoners (some companies anyways) and corprate prisons are worse then those american government run ones

You are amazing, you are loved, and have a good day to whoever might read this <3

#11 2020-11-13 05:59:46

Morti

Funny you should bring this up, I just spent five weeks in jail.
Maybe I'll weigh in on my thoughts on the U.S. correctional system in the future, but, for now, I'm very happy to be back home until my next court date on November 24th when I will almost certainly be put back in jail because they need more people in there to justify the new, larger, one they are opening next year.
It's a county jail, not prison, but from what those who spent time in prison have told me over the last five weeks, jail is even worse than prison, as there is far less for the inmates to actually do to better themselves or pass the time.

I still love you all and I'm sorry I haven't been a better member of the community over the years.

#12 2020-11-13 23:38:13

TheRubyCart

Morti wrote:

Maybe I'll weigh in on my thoughts on the U.S. correctional system in the future, but, for now, I'm very happy to be back home until my next court date on November 24th when I will almost certainly be put back in jail because they need more people in there to justify the new, larger, one they are opening next year.
It's a county jail, not prison, but from what those who spent time in prison have told me over the last five weeks, jail is even worse than prison, as there is far less for the inmates to actually do to better themselves or pass the time.

I still love you all and I'm sorry I haven't been a better member of the community over the years.

wait, why were you in jail, you seem so kind, oof

#13 2020-11-13 23:54:45

Legs

In this great country of ours, you either make money or you're an asshole.

If you make under six figures you're at least half-asshole.

I don't make the rules that's just how capitalism works baby broke assholes go to jail and kindness has nothing to do with it.

Loco Motion

#14 2020-11-15 15:12:14

Morti

Legs wrote:

In this great country of ours, you either make money or you're an asshole.

If you make under six figures you're at least half-asshole.

I don't make the rules that's just how capitalism works baby broke assholes go to jail and kindness has nothing to do with it.

Something like that.

#15 2020-11-15 15:17:54

Morti

TheRubyCart wrote:
Morti wrote:

wait, why were you in jail, you seem so kind, oof

Suppose I could say I was defending my home?

But that I'd doubt that'd work as a defense in court.

Two messy stories over the last two years. I'll tell them in parts from time to time while streaming, if I feel like going into more details.

I could link you to the police reports, evaluations by the probation officer or the prosecutions testimonies but they are both pretty one sided.

In both cases I was a little too aggressive when I should have talked more with the victims more than I did - that's all - before they became victims. =/

#16 2020-11-15 15:21:58

Morti

Sorry for not proofreading, my mind is on a lot of things and it still feels unnatural to be sitting at a PC.
Feels unproductive, but I'm sure I'll learn to ignore this feeling, given enough time...

#17 2020-11-15 18:08:40

Legs

Wear your best shirt to court, show up on time and lean on the public defender my friend. You'll do just fine.

Loco Motion

Board footer