One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2020-11-12 16:18:50

Dodge

Re: Update: Homeland Biome Bands

Spoonwood wrote:

Server reset is not a true reset.  In contrast, arc reset is true reset with no tech lying around.  Or at least it was when this update *first* got put into effect.

It's very rare that the map gets wiped, so counting on that to have a real Eve experience is ridiculous.

Spoonwood wrote:

If players can join the server.  It sounded like your 'end of the world' idea wouldn't allow for players to join the server.  I guess I misunderstood though.  Were you just talking about the reflector directing players not checking a custom server, from an old world server to a new world server?  The old world might not die off in that case, if players who check a custom server kept on playing there (and plenty of players use bs2 as a custom server).  If there's no available players as moms and players can join a server, then the player joining becomes an Eve.  So, the old world might not die out.  That's not necessarily bad though.

You could only be Eve at the start of a world for a certain period, after that if no fertile woman are available for you to spawn you get redirected to another server that you can spawn in no matter what, when the last player dies in a world or if apocalypse is triggered the world resets.

Some servers would still have the "no start or end" setting and would keep going like currently, server 12-15?, to act as buffer in extreme cases where all the worlds would be near the end and there would be no possibility to spawn or simply for low pop server type of play.

This is the only way i see to have a true Eve experience and at the same time villages close enough to interact with each other, them not being in different stages of tech and all beginning at roughly the same time.

#27 2020-11-12 20:42:09

Spoonwood

Dodge wrote:

This is the only way i see to have a true Eve experience and at the same time villages close enough to interact with each other, them not being in different stages of tech and all beginning at roughly the same time.

Villages on the same server could be close.  But, two villages one different servers aren't close.  Basically, you're using the idea of spreading families out, just doing it across servers.  I think your idea could work to a fair extent.  But, if all of the servers got full, it wouldn't.

Also, I'll add that it seems like it's more than just the true Eve experience missing.  Building on top of what a true Eve *and other early generation members also* that someone had contact with at some level, whether a family member or outsider helping out, also doesn't seem like it's happening much, or the line of contact isn't clear at all.

A charcoal pump exhausting on generation 12... sigh.

Today, playing as Johan Winted: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=6744505, I found the tan Love family after finding that the Eve had died shortly before I played.  They were like generation 4, with Turkessa Love's death about the same time as mine: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=6744720  and had already resettled some town on a newcomen pump as I recall.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-11-12 20:49:18)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#28 2020-11-13 01:42:30

Dodge

Spoonwood wrote:

Villages on the same server could be close.  But, two villages one different servers aren't close.  Basically, you're using the idea of spreading families out, just doing it across servers.

Yes families that are on completely different technological level shouldn't be close together, shouldn't even be in the same world, but families that started at the same time and therefore are roughly on the same tech level are perfectly fine being close or relatively close to each other.

Spoonwood wrote:

But, if all of the servers got full, it wouldn't.

I like your optimism lol , if such was the case at some point it would be pretty easy to just add more servers.

Spoonwood wrote:

Also, I'll add that it seems like it's more than just the true Eve experience missing.  Building on top of what a true Eve *and other early generation members also* that someone had contact with at some level, whether a family member or outsider helping out, also doesn't seem like it's happening much, or the line of contact isn't clear at all.

A charcoal pump exhausting on generation 12... sigh.

I dont understand what you mean by that, do you mean that tech evolves too fast? going from discovering fire to making diesel engines to quickly?

#29 2020-11-13 05:31:11

Spoonwood

Dodge wrote:

I dont understand what you mean by that, do you mean that tech evolves too fast? going from discovering fire to making diesel engines to quickly?

I wouldn't say it evolves too fast, because people walking into an old camp aren't evolving tech.  I mean that they get high tech too early generation, because they aren't rebuilding from scratch.  It just seems too common that people walk into old towns/cities.  As another example, 'finish sports car' was Eve Pickens last words: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=6744936  I guess at least, it wasn't done when I was there as Audrey Pickens in generation 13.

That said, Fryman family basically went nonstop for a good few hours from scratch.  I waltzed in as a brown when they were on a shallow well and got them specialty stuff... I had also found a rubber tire horsecart nearby... played there later as a Fryman, someone brings a truck, and helped out as a black and ginger later also... but they were going from the ground up better than some other families.  One life I got born as a Fryman and my mom wanted to revive the Aa city.  Nice place and all, but I wanted to build up Fryman's place, kind of like I was playing it over the course of several lives.

Tans also finally stopped resettling it seemed with the Livingtons.  Though, maybe not.

Alright, I mean that it just feels really unnatural when a family under ten generations has high tech, because they didn't build from scratch, and it just seems too common.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

Board footer