One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-11-02 16:20:05

NoTruePunk

New road meta

Now that we have a precise reference frame for our Y position in the form of bands we can use this to our advantage when building roads. By agreeing on a convention for the road position we can build longer roads and connect the old world to the new. It'll be easier to recover pavers and extend roads further.

I'd like to suggest the position for the One Long Road™ be at y=1. This is the very lowest tile of the mountain band, which means anyone can build there, and it's right in the center of all 4 bands so it's equally accessible for everyone.

Arctic band      ---
Arctic band      ---
Arctic band      ---
Mountain band ---
Mountain band ---
Mountain band === (Road)
Jungle band     ---
Jungle band     ---
Jungle band     ---
Desert band     ---
Desert band     ---
Desert band     ---

Last edited by NoTruePunk (2020-11-02 21:25:57)

#2 2020-11-02 17:19:37

DestinyCall

Re: New road meta

Sounds good to me.   Let's do it.

#3 2020-11-02 17:26:34

NoisyForest

Just to clarify because I don't use all the mapping tools that are out there to see coordinates and such. Are you basically talking about the middle of the map like this. I'm probably misunderstanding ..

Ginger Band---
White Band ---
Mountain Band ==== (Road)
Brown Band ---
Black Band ---

I was an Eve once .. A pack of bears ate my bb sad

#4 2020-11-02 17:32:50

Spoonwood

It does have an issue is that it's not so happy for a white woman of childbearing years and any children she might have while out road building, since she would be in the mountain band for at least some of the time.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-11-02 20:17:13)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#5 2020-11-02 17:34:27

NoisyForest

Spoonwood wrote:

It dose have an issue is that it's not so happy for a white woman of childbearing years and any children she might have while out road building, since she would be in the mountain band for at least some of the time.

Send a man

#6 2020-11-02 18:32:21

DestinyCall

NoisyForest wrote:

Send a man

Or a woman who knows how to point back to town.  The strong will survive.  The weak will feed the Road God.

Sacrifices make Him stronger.

#7 2020-11-02 18:53:10

NoisyForest

DestinyCall wrote:

Or a woman who knows how to point back to town.  The strong will survive.  The weak will feed the Road God.

Sacrifices make Him stronger.

The bones of the weak shall be the mortar that binds our towns together! Mwuhahaha .. The sacrifice must be made!

#8 2020-11-02 19:27:05

DestinyCall

Blood for the Blood God.  Skulls for the Skull Throne.

#9 2020-11-02 21:24:59

NoTruePunk

NoisyForest wrote:

Just to clarify because I don't use all the mapping tools that are out there to see coordinates and such. Are you basically talking about the middle of the map like this. I'm probably misunderstanding ..

Ginger Band---
White Band ---
Mountain Band ==== (Road)
Brown Band ---
Black Band ---

Close! The mountain band IS the white family's homeland. So it's more like this:

Arctic band      ---
Arctic band      ---
Arctic band      ---
Mountain band ---
Mountain band ---
Mountain band === (Road)
Jungle band     ---
Jungle band     ---
Jungle band     ---
Desert band     ---
Desert band     ---
Desert band     ---

See how the road is right in the center of all the bands? And it being just on the mountain side of the jungle-mountain border means anyone can contribute to it.

It does have an issue is that it's not so happy for a white woman of childbearing years and any children she might have while out road building, since she would be in the mountain band for at least some of the time.

That's a problem no matter which band we choose. It has nothing to do with the road, unless you want separate roads for each family just to get around this, which seems deeply inefficient.

#10 2020-11-03 00:03:41

NoisyForest

Gotcha that makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.

I'm curious .. what is distance between wells/mines in the grid? (X,Y)

#11 2020-11-03 01:38:48

Spoonwood

NoisyForest wrote:

Gotcha that makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.

I'm curious .. what is distance between wells/mines in the grid? (X,Y)

Every 40 tiles is either a mine or a spring or, once they exist, a pump or well.  Both X and Y directions.

Danish Clinch.

#12 2020-11-03 01:49:28

NoisyForest

Ok so per band there are about 7-8 fault lines. Good to know.

#13 2020-11-03 04:33:56

Coconut Fruit

NoTruePunk wrote:

I'd like to suggest the position for the One Long Road™ be at y=1. This is the very lowest tile of the mountain band, which means anyone can build there

There are natural springs on very lowest tile of each band. You can't remove them so it would be better to make road one tile higher.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#14 2020-11-03 04:36:22

Spoonwood

Coconut Fruit wrote:
NoTruePunk wrote:

I'd like to suggest the position for the One Long Road™ be at y=1. This is the very lowest tile of the mountain band, which means anyone can build there

There are natural springs on very lowest tile of each band. You can't remove them so it would be better to make road one tile higher.

You're correct.  y=2 works better.  Road builders will still have to work around bear caves also.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-11-03 04:36:42)

Danish Clinch.

#15 2020-11-04 07:38:31

NoTruePunk

s0h4A1r.jpg

The road meta is here. It's long. It's glorious.

There are even more advantages I didn't think of yet for this spot.

First of all, most of the trees are pine trees, which aren't hungry work to chop down. This is a HUGE time save.

Secondly, because the bands are straight you don't have to divert around biomes. This not only makes the road easier to build, but makes traveling the road faster too, since the path is more direct.

Third, the "trouble" of the bear caves is nearly a non-issue. Over the thousands of tiles I sent this paver I had to go around one bear cave. ONE.

Last edited by NoTruePunk (2020-11-04 07:43:41)

#16 2020-11-04 07:44:20

NoTruePunk

Spoonwood wrote:
Coconut Fruit wrote:
NoTruePunk wrote:

You're correct.  y=2 works better.  Road builders will still have to work around bear caves also.

y=2 is a little close to the wire if you're not from a jungle family. It could get stuck on a bear cave or something and you'd have to send it south. If you don't set up the paving directions early and end up with only one tile of space then you have to send it south, as the paver moves onto the paving direction just as it's formed, and they start out in the southern direction.

I think it's at y=6 or y=7 right now.

Last edited by NoTruePunk (2020-11-04 07:47:29)

#17 2020-11-04 13:09:30

Spoonwood

NoTruePunk wrote:

y=2 is a little close to the wire if you're not from a jungle family. It could get stuck on a bear cave or something and you'd have to send it south.

The paver could have gotten stalled by an object, arrows set up, then with the object moved the paver gets sent a few tiles north, then west, then south, and directly west again at y = 2.  But, come to think of it, rubber trees can visually obscure y = 2 I think.  y = 4 might be the best spot, and maybe y = 3 works also.

But, if the road is at y = 6 or y = 7, there's not enough reason to change position for any future (existing) roads.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-11-04 13:09:48)

Danish Clinch.

#18 2020-11-04 13:24:38

gamatron332

NoTruePunk wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/s0h4A1r.jpg

The road meta is here. It's long. It's glorious.

There are even more advantages I didn't think of yet for this spot.

First of all, most of the trees are pine trees, which aren't hungry work to chop down. This is a HUGE time save.

Secondly, because the bands are straight you don't have to divert around biomes. This not only makes the road easier to build, but makes traveling the road faster too, since the path is more direct.

Third, the "trouble" of the bear caves is nearly a non-issue. Over the thousands of tiles I sent this paver I had to go around one bear cave. ONE.

No ones commended you yet... so here we go! Great job! It looks like y=2 is the set way to go lol. Can’t wAit to use it!

I’m Gama I flaunt my ideas, and I’m fabulous
But I’ve allready said too much.

#19 2020-11-12 19:42:45

NoTruePunk

I think someone extended it! The furthest out bits only  really get used by the gingers until the families move further west, but then they get tons of use. It's sorta self propagating in a way since even people who don't read this will inevitably come across the road and use/extend it.

Last edited by NoTruePunk (2020-11-12 19:43:17)

Board footer