One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-11-02 03:19:39

gamatron332

What’s up!

So been away for a bit making the factory grow and was wondering what people are getting from the new bands update! For example how is everyone liking it? Is there any significant meta appearing? Are we still potatoes with toothpick legs? Gimme the info and don’t insult me and tell me too play because I’m coming. And I’m bringing my dummy farm layout with me.

I’m Gama I flaunt my ideas, and I’m fabulous
But I’ve allready said too much.

#2 2020-11-02 03:35:16

Uncreative Guy

Re: What’s up!

Multiracial towns can technically happen again!  The new meta is for an eve to build her well on the well line that separates two bands, and the town can be built evenly over the band.  Then, a woman from the race on the other side of the band will move in and have babies on her side, to allow two races to live together.  Ideally, the gingers and whites live together, and the browns and blacks live together.  This is extremely efficient for rubber production, and iron production.  This also makes the white fam less of beggars, as they can be helpful to the gingers by being there to translate, and not have their independent need to race items.

Also, because there’s only like 7 adult models per race, there is finally variety in appearance of those in towns again, which I also see as a plus!

I’m not creative enough to make a creative signature which explains my noncreative nickname of Uncreative Guy.

#3 2020-11-02 04:13:03

Spoonwood

The new bands update also was an arc reset, which means that the world was wiped clean.  Sometimes before since the end of The Rift, Eves have been inundated with children and either died early by feeding their children and not finding enough wild food and getting things up and running quickly enough, or by starving out their children.  When a server is below 15 players in population, fertility can happen outside of one's band.  The effect was that the initial Eves apparently had some periods when they weren't fertile possibly both to being out of their fertile band by choice and because they had spawned away from their fertile band.  The result was that the initial Eves didn't look inundated with children.  And from what I can there were a few more Eves that came about shortly after 15 players were on the server.  They didn't look inundated with children also.

On top of all that, none of those lineages appeared to die out super early, or it was only a few of them.  They did out later of course, but like not in the first 3 or so generations for the most part, implying that some players in those families were able to get to their fertile bands.

I didn't play during that period exactly, but I think it was a lot better overall for an arc restart than others I've seen evidence of.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#4 2020-11-02 05:34:50

Coconut Fruit

Bands update is very good, way better than a content update could give us. Tho this game still needs more game mechanics improvements IMO to make it more interesting. More content (items) wouldn't make this game more fun I think.

The world is too peaceful IMO. It was fun when people could instant kill each other without cooldown. When we had to protect our towns with property fences against strangers. We had healers and so on... We were making peaces with some families and wars with others. Now all this game has is just building, which is kinda lame. Tho it's just my opinion.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#5 2020-11-02 10:46:24

Arcurus

Coconut Fruit wrote:

The world is too peaceful IMO. It was fun when people could instant kill each other without cooldown. When we had to protect our towns with property fences against strangers. We had healers and so on... We were making peaces with some families and wars with others. Now all this game has is just building, which is kinda lame. Tho it's just my opinion.

no kill cooldown maybe not that good, but now we are in the other extrem. Now you basically can kill only if the leader exiles first.

My suggestion is to basically allow kills happen again as long as you are not an ally (normal cooldown would still be there).

Additionally if you where an ally before you have for example an cooldown of 3 min before you could kill your former allies.

If you want to be save from strangers you need to make them your allies, for that the follower gate can be used.

#6 2020-11-02 15:01:07

Spoonwood

Coconut Fruit wrote:

It was fun when people could instant kill each other without cooldown.

The server wasn't anywhere near maximum player capacity during that time at any point in time.  The game is not advertised as some sort of killing free for all game.  Killing without cool down encouraged players to not feed their own children, and from what I understand made it difficult for other players to feed those children also.  Doing such does not involve parenting, civilization building, leaving a legacy, and it *discourages* living one full life for one hour.   

Coconut Fruit wrote:

When we had to protect our towns with property fences against strangers.

At no point during this latest sale did the game reach maximum player capacity on a single server.  In general, the more players on a single server, the worse property fence towns can become, because there exist more players who can wreck them.  Exits can get blocked off, and elder fence removal exists.  Also, with a server full of players, resources can run out quicker, which implies that more experienced players might have to spend more time out of time gathering resources, looting from other towns, or getting them from/gifting to other families. 

Also, this game is supposed to get played *with* strangers, NOT with a distrustful attitude towards strangers.  Why do I say that?  Because by default, players have anonymity.  Walled or fenced towns suggest an opposite attitude as appropriate since strangers on the outside are not to get trusted.

Danish Clinch.

#7 2020-11-03 04:28:05

Coconut Fruit

Spoonwood wrote:

The server wasn't anywhere near maximum player capacity during that time at any point in time.

Yeah, but that doesn't tell that the game was less fun... (Idk why am I even answering to you)
This is a terrible game for new players. Little sight size, no crafting book, no tutorial. It doesn't matter if the game gets more fun, it's very likely that we won't get more players if new players will keep quitting after their first minutes with the game.
As long as Jason doesn't care about new players, this game will remain low populated no matter what else he adds IMO.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners

#8 2020-11-03 04:34:47

Spoonwood

Coconut Fruit wrote:

Yeah, but that doesn't tell that the game was less fun... (Idk why am I even answering to you)
This is a terrible game for new players. Little sight size, no crafting book, no tutorial. It doesn't matter if the game gets more fun, it's very likely that we won't get more players if new players will keep quitting after their first minutes with the game.
As long as Jason doesn't care about new players, this game will remain low populated no matter what else he adds IMO.

I don't see how having a weapon with no cooldown is consistent with a game where new players get valued.  They can end up easily slaughtered that way.  I guess not at as fast before since exiling is needed, but still, I don't see how new players get valued via such weaponry.  Really, it seems like the reverse, and that new players get devalued by a game having such weaponry, since player killer types often don't care who they kill as much as that they kill.

Danish Clinch.

#9 2020-11-03 04:50:21

Coconut Fruit

You don't see many things, Spoonwood.

Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners

#10 2020-11-03 05:31:44

Spoonwood

Coconut Fruit wrote:

You don't see many things, Spoonwood.

Intentionally made weapons with no cool down isn't consistent with caring about new players.  It never has been and never will be.

This gets advertised as a one hour game within the scope of one life.  Check the damn title.  Setting up a system that makes it unlikely that new players can play for one hour and get one life, because of player killers is like saying that they don't deserve to be able to play the game as advertised, and get one hour of playtime within one life.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-11-03 05:32:26)

Danish Clinch.

#11 2020-11-03 13:48:38

gamatron332

You guys have veered off topic. Please return to the subject of Said topic.

I’m Gama I flaunt my ideas, and I’m fabulous
But I’ve allready said too much.

#12 2020-11-03 22:52:55

OneOfMany

gamatron332 wrote:

You guys have veered off topic. Please return to the subject of Said topic.

The bands are pretty awesome. It's easy to navigate. It feels a bit like an infinite rift. It's much easier to loot old dead cities, because they can only exist in a narrow band and of course to the east. Roads are going to be OP. I also love the fact that families can once again live together near the borders. If you'd like an update on the forum... yeah, you got one. Hi, Spoonwood.

I am a dirty, dirty roleplayer. I roleplay in the game, sometimes on the forum and if I'm being honest, a bit in real life. I can't help myself. I'm a dirty, dirty roleplayer. Don't hate the player, hate the game. smile

#13 2020-11-03 23:52:50

Spoonwood

I saw a few sets of loom clothes for a camp on a shallow well on Twisted's stream on Monday.  At about 1:32 here: https://www.twitch.tv/twisted_100/video/789719438, there's like 4 or so sets of loom clothes on people whose town is on a shallow well.  They have at least 3 rubber tires also.  Today, as some streamer put things, someone showed up to their prehistoric society in a racecar a little after 1:07:00 here https://www.twitch.tv/videos/790887855

I've only played once on bigserver2, and it felt a little different, but not better.

With Christmas coming it's a shame that snowmen will only appear near Ginger villages, or I suppose, whites if they settle up that direction.

I've played a few lives on low pop going out to a new, fresh area.  Mostly farming, cooking, making pens, and getting a loom up.  I drained my shallow well at least twice before I got the loom up and used water from a deep well a few times.  It definitely seems like it will be more distance than I'm used to either do an oil rig with where I settled, and if I had settled north it would have been far to get rubber and desert resources if I decide to make radios again.

On the upside, it's been funny seeing seals in jungles, kind of 'scary' for lack of a better word seeing snakes in badlands, and one player's snowy ice hole fishing hut in a jungle is interesting in it's own way.

Danish Clinch.

#14 2020-11-04 00:07:36

OneOfMany

OneOfMany wrote:

Hi, Spoonwood

Spoonwood wrote:

With Christmas coming it's a shame that snowmen will only appear near Ginger villages, or I suppose, whites if they settle up that direction.

Bring a bottle of wine or some chips and salsa, up north, and be the hit of the Festivus Celebration. I suggest missing the Feats of Strength, but don't miss the Airing of Grievances, it's my favorite part. Now where's my unadorned aluminum pole?

Oh and there will be snowmen. Yet another benefit of living so close together, in bands. I do like this update, much better than say adding beef and leather.

I am a dirty, dirty roleplayer. I roleplay in the game, sometimes on the forum and if I'm being honest, a bit in real life. I can't help myself. I'm a dirty, dirty roleplayer. Don't hate the player, hate the game. smile

#15 2020-11-04 00:50:38

Spoonwood

OneOfMany wrote:

Oh and there will be snowmen. Yet another benefit of living so close together, in bands.

The random biome map which predated bands and the 2019 topographical map system, use to have tundras close to towns somewhere.  The average distance was less than the distance between the desert band and the tundra band as I recall.  So, I would find it strange to think that bands would be some sort of solution here.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-11-04 00:51:53)

Danish Clinch.

#16 2020-11-04 01:03:59

OneOfMany

Spoonwood wrote:

So, I would find it strange to think that bands would be some sort of solution here.

Literally, walk north and find a snowman. Problem meet solution.

Board footer