One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-11-03 18:27:49

Barush_x

I really miss the old game, where you were born as Eve/had nothing

As said, the old game felt so much more better and actually all the work you did in the game felt truly meaningful.
I was obsessed with the game and made lots of friends and meaningful connections. However, ever since only the big colonies
were introduced, the game lost all of it's magic for me, as now it's just feels outright boring and whatever you make,
actually doesn't seem to make any difference as there are already plenty of *name the thing* in front of you.

The connections too, are not meaninful anymore as it seems like everyone is just minding their own business.

Not sure if Jason will see this (he probably won't, sigh) but I'm still somehow hoping the option to be born
as an Eve/in a place where Eve is just starting could be re-introduced. That game was so unique and so
darn addictive and beautiful. I spent long hours and days playing the game and I really miss it, because after the
"new" update the magic was totally gone.

And I think I surely couldn't be alone and that more people would appreciate this! Anyway, thought about leaving this here.

#2 2020-11-03 21:14:40

Spoonwood

Re: I really miss the old game, where you were born as Eve/had nothing

After playing for a bit, I had an Eve run last week where I ran away from where I spawned, and didn't see any evidence of someone showing up from another camp during my life.  If they had showed up, and came naked, there would have existed a food mismatch, which means they either need to wear clothes or consume more of the local food if they help out.  I walked to early camps a few times, but most of the time my generations were later, that it seemed better to wear clothes, which may have cheapened someone else's early game experience after I died (players do like clothes, so perhaps not).

The arc restart had something like that experience this past week, but of course, it was short lived.

Oftentimes you'll see signs that such an early game buildup town experience isn't going on.  Like I saw Twisted on Monday go into a camp on a shallow well where the villagers had loom clothes!  Two camps I played in last week on shallow wells had XReyCrownX come in a truck and gift clothes or foods or both to players, and such kindness isn't likely to get refused, especially since I imagine that very few players like cactus fruits locked up in a desert, being inaccessible because you're white, ginger, or brown and aren't playing on a server with less than 15 people on it.  Today, as some streamer said, someone showed up to their prehistoric society in a racecar a little after 1:07:00 here https://www.twitch.tv/videos/790887855.

And I write all this as someone isn't in favor of the Eve game starting from scratch as being so difficult that new players have to get abandoned or likely to die early.  I write this as someone who thinks the game should be about rebuilding from scratch.  But, how can you rebuild from scratch with loom clothes, racecars, and trucks in or around those camps?

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-11-03 21:15:10)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#3 2020-11-03 21:55:53

Dodge

Yeah the game is pretty bad right now and it only seems to get worse, Twisted's idea of band map makes the problem even more excacerbated.

Now if you want to ruin an Eve village by bringing them new technologies you pretty much know where they are on the band or can figre it out pretty easily.

It's a learning process, gotta go trough a lot of shit to figure out what actually works.

#4 2020-11-03 22:14:18

jinbaili83

Just fence the whole village with property fences(no gates) and you are safe from unwanted visitors

#5 2020-11-03 23:05:46

Spoonwood

jinbaili83 wrote:

Just fence the whole village with property fences(no gates) and you are safe from unwanted visitors

*laughs* Hmmm... if all the tans or blacks did such for a while, no one would have any new rubber sources for a while.  Gingers could also kill off new sources of kerosene.

Danish Clinch.

#6 2020-11-03 23:10:27

HumanPerson

Spoonwood wrote:
jinbaili83 wrote:

*laughs* Hmmm... if all the tans or blacks did such for a while, no one would have any new rubber sources for a while.  Gingers could also kill off new sources of kerosene.

I believe the fine gentleman was speaking in jest.

#7 2020-11-03 23:13:44

Spoonwood

Dodge wrote:

Yeah the game is pretty bad right now and it only seems to get worse, Twisted's idea of band map makes the problem even more excacerbated.

Now if you want to ruin an Eve village by bringing them new technologies you pretty much know where they are on the band or can figre it out pretty easily.

It's a learning process, gotta go trough a lot of shit to figure out what actually works.

I was going to leave commenting off on spelling errors here.

But, why one trough a lot of shit?

Wikitonary wrote:

trough...

To eat in a vulgar style, as if from a trough.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/trough

Seriously though, I agree with what I think you meant to say here.  Or maybe you did mean that one needs to trough a lot of shit in order to figure out what works.

Danish Clinch.

#8 2020-11-03 23:45:13

DestinyCall

HumanPerson wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:
jinbaili83 wrote:

I believe the fine gentleman was speaking in jest.

Wait ... does that mean I shouldn't spend my time in an Eve camp fencing it off from intruders?   But what if someone tries to steal my horse?  OR GIVE ME A HORSE!?

#9 2020-11-04 08:06:13

NoTruePunk

You can still get born as eve, it's just less common now. Mostly this is because of the smaller playerbase compared to back when there were 100-200 people online

#10 2020-11-04 13:30:03

Spoonwood

NoTruePunk wrote:

You can still get born as eve, it's just less common now. Mostly this is because of the smaller playerbase compared to back when there were 100-200 people online

Spawning mechanics prevent Eves from being able to spawn, except when a certain number of generations (I think it's 40) for a family gets reached, or when no family of one of the four races has any fertile females in existence.  Also, too low genetic score can prevent a player from becoming an Eve, unless the player population is as low as it gets when bigserver2 restarts.  If we had the system of January 25, 2019, which is forum join dates, then players could become an Eve by using /die repeatedly.

The original post says the following:

Barush_x wrote:

Not sure if Jason will see this (he probably won't, sigh) but I'm still somehow hoping the option to be born
as an Eve/in a place where Eve is just starting could be re-introduced.

Before becoming an Eve could thus get thought of as an option.  Now, thinking that doesn't make much sense.

Danish Clinch.

#11 2020-11-06 21:25:14

Spoonwood

I think the closest thing you can do on a PC involves downloading 2HOL.  It's free.  There's a system where you can spawn as an Eve according to the 'seed' or 'password' that you input.  If you don't do use any special commands to turn your fertility off you can have children like in old OHOL without any well homeland or biome band homeland.  The map is also basically the topographical ring system map as it was during some point during The Rift (though there were some variations I saw looking through some of the notes last night there), with some new wild foods.  The most difficult part would be finding a time when you were most likely to have children.  Sometimes 2HOL is not populated at all or populated by players mostly playing in their own towns where they invite people at their own discretion.  Other times there exist more new players.  The seed spawn system in 2HOL as I understand it covers like 20k at present.  So, though others can possibly find you, it's not as likely that they will manage to do so.  2HOL also has a lot more foods than OHOL, and just got copper pipes that can transport water.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-11-06 21:25:53)

Danish Clinch.

Board footer