One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-11-01 03:34:02

Roblor

Hey I have a great idea guys

So

What if instead of the mechanics that prevents players from having babies outside of their zones;

Players could get babies in ANY zone they liked

BUT

The offspring would gradually over the generations change skin color in relating to the area they'd get born into

THUS

A family might contain several races for a short while, but would always end of homogeneous within a few gens.

It could be like gens mixing or lack of/additional production of melatonin.
The current system works just fine from before, but my idea was that it could be more sleek like this

Tell me what you think

IT PUTS ÞE BERRY IN ÞE BASKET OR ELSE IT GETS ÞE HOSE AGAIN !

#2 2020-11-01 05:11:10

DestinyCall

Re: Hey I have a great idea guys

Sounds good to me.

#3 2020-11-01 08:07:35

NoisyForest

What happens when everyone gets together to form mega city and all the races are one!? Who will supply the mega blks with oil or mega whites with sand, etc.

Cool idea but seems hard to implement.

I'd almost like to see more of a union of families by marriage or something .. that could be cool. I will have to ponder that and make a new thread.

I was an Eve once .. A pack of bears ate my bb sad

#4 2020-11-01 10:09:31

Spoonwood

I'm not so sure that the idea of the original post would be quite so sleek in practice, because of the food generational decline system and some other  issues related to fertility.   

Roblor wrote:

Players could get babies in ANY zone they liked

Could, or would necessarily get babies if other players joined?

It seems to me that under your idea, with the way that Eve spawning currently works, there would only be 4 Eves at server restart.  They get all the babies.  And I think there's some time before a second, third, or fourth Eve spawns.  I note that usually bigserver2 isn't even at full capacity.  But, with 4 Eves at server restart, it seems to me that under your idea some Eves would be flooded with children, easily having a dozen or so.  The result of that, so far as I can tell, has been that for any time that the arc restarts or when Eves venture out into the wild instead of finding an old town, Eves had little to no choice but to abandon some children.  The most recent update appears to have solved that issue with the possibility of early fertility control.

Also, what about travelers going from an advanced camp to an Eve camp for purposes of resource acquisition or trying to get an advanced camp up to the point of being able to do water related specialty work (e. g. someone goes to a Ginger camp to get them up to the point where they can do an oil rig, since their town needs or will soon need kerosene for water)?  If I understand your idea, it seems that women going from an advanced camp to an Eve camp would have children out in the wild.  Advanced players can plan for such a situation with yum, and by wearing clothing.  But, what can they do for a child out in the wild who is naked and has low pip value due to generational food decline?  They can take them to the closest camp, I suppose.  Then the child grows up at that camp.  But, the players in an Eve camp are at an earlier generation.  The child growing up there would though have low pip values for foods, probably won't have clothing, and thus needs to eat substantially more than anyone else at that camp, and that camp likely doesn't have much in terms of diversity of food types, and thus doesn't have much yum possibility for players at that period of time.  If such a player stays out in the wild, starting at 3 or 4, with 1 pip berries, carrots, wild onions, and burdock, how many players would have an enjoyable experience?

If players had a voice command like 2HOLs, which has commands like "I WANT BB" for the possibility of having a child, and "NO BB" to rule out having a child, then such issues wouldn't arise I suppose, if the default for players was to not have a child.  But, the first player on the server is an Eve and the second is her baby according to the trailer.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#5 2020-11-01 12:35:54

Rookwood

First, this seems like a very complex mechanic to implement.  Jason would have to recolor sprites and probably add new ones that would only exist in rare situations.  He'd have to track "generations in new family" which probably isn't even possible right now.

Second, there is absolutely zero benefit to this mechanic.  Most people see not being able to have a baby as a good thing. 

What does the ability to merge into another family matter when you live 60 minutes?  Just die and get a new life in the other family you want. All you've done is hurt your old family in the process with this mechanic.

Last edited by Rookwood (2020-11-01 14:20:45)

#6 2020-11-01 14:51:12

Arcurus

yea sounds reasonable.

Instead of needing different skin colors, where could just be a % change that next baby gets color of the band they are born in.

Over some generations they will merge.

To what happened when all live in one band? First of all still new eves will come in each band. Second, they could migrate in another band and over some generations get the color.

#7 2020-11-01 15:41:20

Roblor

Rookwood wrote:

First, this seems like a very complex mechanic to implement.  Jason would have to recolor sprites and probably add new ones that would only exist in rare situations.  He'd have to track "generations in new family" which probably isn't even possible right now.

Second, there is absolutely zero benefit to this mechanic.  Most people see not being able to have a baby as a good thing. 

What does the ability to merge into another family matter when you live 60 minutes?  Just die and get a new life in the other family you want. All you've done is hurt your old family in the process with this mechanic.

I wasn't thinking that it needed to be that complex that it needed "in-between" skin colors for transition.

I was more thinking that the game could make checks for which zone the baby got born into and the skin color of the mother and then randomly, maybe 50/50 chance, make the baby into the "more appropriate" skin color

FOR EXAMPLE;

A ginger goes to Africa zone, the game registers it, and makes 50% of her babies into the normal white skin tone,

and those who get born with that skin tone will have a 50% to make the tan skin colored people such as my avatar,

and theeeeeeen those offspring will have 50% to spawn the dark chocolaty ones

THUSLY the adopting family can receive a few generations of use of the racial abilities before the the population becomes homogenized again

AND

Afterwards the adopting family will learn the language of the adopted family (if that's how language mechanics work I'm not sure)

AND

Satellite families can become easier. (personally a thing I really enjoy)

ALSO

If there is one race missing on the server, it could be solved by a satellite family settling in that specific zone belonging to that said missing race, and like this that satellite family would shortly become converted into that missing race.

Thanks for all your replies guys big_smile

#8 2020-11-01 16:16:13

Spoonwood

Roblor wrote:

I was more thinking that the game could make checks for which zone the baby got born into and the skin color of the mother and then randomly, maybe 50/50 chance, make the baby into the "more appropriate" skin color

FOR EXAMPLE;

A ginger goes to Africa zone, the game registers it, and makes 50% of her babies into the normal white skin tone,

and those who get born with that skin tone will have a 50% to make the tan skin colored people such as my avatar,

and theeeeeeen those offspring will have 50% to spawn the dark chocolaty ones

I'm not following what you've said here.

The "Africa zone" is the one which doesn't have jungle, desert, or tundra in it?

I thought your idea was that if a woman went to a band not of her race, and has a baby while in that band, then her baby would have 50% chance to have her race, and 50% chance to have the race of the band she was in at the time.  For example, if she was red-haired and went to the band which has deserts in it, then her baby would have 50% chance to have red hair, and 50% chance to have the darkest skin and have black hair.

Your example confuses me, because it has 'dark chocoalty', 'tan', and 'ginger' as possibilities in one zone, even if at different times.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#9 2020-11-01 17:23:48

Roblor

Spoonwood wrote:

Your example confuses me, because it has 'dark chocoalty', 'tan', and 'ginger' as possibilities in one zone, even if at different times.

The idea in the example is that the offspring of non-black mothers become gradually blacker, when born in the black people zone.

#10 2020-11-01 18:11:27

DestinyCall

Roblor wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

The idea in the example is that the offspring of non-black mothers become gradually blacker, when born in the black people zone.

I think I understand what you are saying.   So if you are a black mother and you move to another race's band, your babies will be 50% black and 50% tan (lighter skin tone).   If you are ginger and you move to a different homeland, your babies will be 50% ginger and 50% vanillas ("darker" skin tone).   And if you are tan, you will have some black babies if you go to the black zone and some white babies if you go to white/ginger zones.   Likewise, whites will give birth to some ginger babies in ginger zone and some tan babies in tan/black zone.     Basically, you will give birth to one "shade" lighter or darker than your current skin tone depending on where you give birth to the babies.     

A tan village in the tan zone will stay tan, because everyone in the village will give birth to tan babies.  But if they build a satellite colony in the black zone, the town will slowly turn darker until it is all black.   Likewise, if the same family decided to move to ginger zone, they will start giving birth to vanillas and eventually the whole town will turn ginger in a few generations.

I think this is a neat way to implement generational genetic drift.

One issue I will point out from previous threads discussing these kinds of mechanics - I get the impression that it is harder for Jason to implement stuff that has a percentage chance to do X, from a coding perspective.   Not sure if it would apply in this case, but it has come up several times in past discussions when people wanted to have a chance to have different colored babies.      So it might be easier to implement if all babies born in X biome are X color.   But I think your idea is much sleeker and would feel better in-game because it would create a more gradual transition from dark to light.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2020-11-01 18:41:15)

#11 2020-11-01 19:03:18

ollj

getting babies is a bad idea to begin with.

i build a long planned road westwards, and just happen to have high yum, for moving between many (abandoned) cities.

and last life i got 8 babies ON THE ROAD (with total population of 50), and they all died age 1,6,1,12,6,0,0,0, despite being carried to the city on the road, or fed, while building a road, and despide cursing one obvious rinnawy baby griefer.

#12 2020-11-02 15:57:12

NoTruePunk

I think race mixing without proper interracial marriage ceremony wouldn't piss off the white supremacists enough.

Board footer