One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-10-30 14:51:24

Spoonwood

One Hour Problems

The Steam advertisement says:

"Get born to another player as your mother. Live an entire life in one hour. Have babies of your own in the form of other players. Leave a legacy for the next generation as you help to rebuild civilization from scratch.  Updated weekly."

https://store.steampowered.com/app/5956 … _One_Life/

I would guess that there have existed players whose first life was as an Eve.  So, the first expectation likely already hasn't gotten fulfilled for any player who read the advertisement, took it seriously, and remembered what they read.  I'm not saying that all players should get born to another player as their mother their first life.  I'm pointing out the inconsistency here. 

Also, during a server restart period, or if players not checking a custom server get directed to a server other than bs2, it doesn't seem too unlikely that some first time player(s) don't have a mother.

Perhaps I've got the mechanics wrong, but I think that even on one's first life a player can get born male.  There is no fatherhood.  So, I expect that for some players there's no way to have babies in the form of other players in their first life.  Fatherhood would be the best solution here if you ask me.  Perhaps also the most difficult one.  But also, male characters might get removed.  Or for one's first life mechanics might get changed to make them female.  Also, do uncles even have a legacy for the next generation in this game?  If so, what are some examples of such a legacy?

Also, new players are extremely likely to have no clue at all about the fertility mechanics.  There's no explanation for them in the tutorial.  They aren't likely at all to leave a town much, if at all.  But, if playing during a server restart period and consequently ends up in an infertile biome band, they might never have a child.  I have no idea if that will happen much, if at all, though, because new players may struggle some to stay alive, and if they survive they might be likely to have followed other players moving a fertile band. 

There's also the problems that so-called "children of men" mode causes.  For those who don't understand so-called "children of men" mode, to update the servers, first all odd numbered servers reject incoming players.  So, anyone on an odd server becomes infertile.  Someone grew up shortly before "children of men" mode, and lives, just won't have children.  Incoming players go to even servers.  Then once all the odd servers get emptied, the odd servers get updated.  Then all incoming players get redirected to the odd servers, with the even servers getting shut down.  Even servers end up in "children of men" mode, so players on even servers don't have children.  Once emptied of players, the even servers get updated.  Then incoming players get redirected to the even servers.  Bigserver2 doesn't rapidly fill up with players.  So, players on server1, or in principle some odd number server, won't have children, because of a lack of incoming players.

I'm not saying that there's likely a way around "children of men" mode.  But, it does seem rather likely to lead to players who simply can't play in a way consistent with the advertisement, even if they survive.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-10-31 02:44:35)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#2 2020-10-31 00:18:15

gamatron332

Re: One Hour Problems

I like you spoonwood you have spunk.

I’m Gama I flaunt my ideas, and I’m fabulous
But I’ve allready said too much.

#3 2020-10-31 00:26:58

Arcurus

gamatron332 wrote:

dont know yet what spunk is, but for sure if spoonwood would use half of the time he uses writing about fatherhood, he would have implemented it in his own server even if he had to learn some c++ first...

Its little sad, i tend these time to read only sporadically in spoon posts, since they are simply too plentiful...

#4 2020-10-31 01:02:45

NoTruePunk

shut up spoon

#5 2020-10-31 01:16:18

JustMe

Are you autistic spoonwood? It's a serious question.

#6 2020-10-31 02:45:13

Spoonwood

Arcurus wrote:
gamatron332 wrote:

dont know yet what spunk is, but for sure if spoonwood would use half of the time he uses writing about fatherhood, he would have implemented it in his own server even if he had to learn some c++ first...

Its little sad, i tend these time to read only sporadically in spoon posts, since they are simply too plentiful...

I talked about fatherhood in only three sentences out of dozens of sentences in this post, and intended to point out that it wasn't the only conceivable solution to the problem of players not having children in their first life.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#7 2020-10-31 11:49:09

Arcurus

Spoonwood wrote:
Arcurus wrote:
gamatron332 wrote:

I talked about fatherhood in only three sentences out of dozens of sentences in this post, and intended to point out that it wasn't the only conceivable solution to the problem of players not having children in their first life.

yea me too would like fatherhood, i just want to say, maybe if you want to do some changes come true use some time and learn programming and do then what you like to do.

Board footer