One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2020-10-20 06:06:44

Eve Troll

Re: Shitposting watering cans every day till they're added

The funny thing is. All these issues can be balanced with the right amount of players, with the right amount of experience, playing at the same time.

Jason only builds the game around them so for them its easy. Rush engine, pump oil, share it, make engine, pump oil with engine, PRINT steel.

One tarry spot pumped with an engine is worth 864 iron.

If that isnt cheap idk what is. All it takes is a few ambitious individuals that spawn into the right races to make it happen.

And we wonder why race restrictions exist...

Last edited by Eve Troll (2020-10-20 06:22:50)

#27 2020-10-22 16:53:38

NoTruePunk

tDdIOeQ.png

#28 2020-10-25 07:26:02

karltown_veteran

Bump

.-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / ... - .-. .- -. --. . .-.-.- / ... --- / .- -- / .. .-.-.-
ˆ ø˜ç´ ƒ®åµ´∂ å˜ ˆ˜˜øç∑˜† å˜∂ ©ø† å∑å¥ ∑ˆ†˙ ˆ†
he xnt bzm qdzc sghr, xnt zqd z enqlhczakd noonmdms
veteran of an OHOL town called Karltown. Not really a veteran and my names not Karl

#29 2020-10-25 15:42:41

ThePissOff

Honestly, I don't think we actually need them.
I just think y'all *want* watering cans.

If that's the case, we should fight for something we actually need.

#30 2020-10-25 15:46:27

DestinyCall

Fighting for what you want is more fun.

#31 2020-10-25 15:48:24

antking:]#

DestinyCall wrote:

Fighting for what you want is more fun.

Especial in OHOL the MOST competitive game, EVER!

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#32 2020-10-25 16:45:57

bpskotch

ThePissOff wrote:

I think it would be more of a QoL update, since it would reduce the need for buckets and bowls in the farm if implemented well. smile

I think this thread is more of a fun thing than anything

#33 2020-10-25 18:07:09

ThePissOff

bpskotch wrote:
ThePissOff wrote:

I think it would be more of a QoL update, since it would reduce the need for buckets and bowls in the farm if implemented well. smile

I can understand that.
But
Let's say Jason adds Watering Cans tho.
Possibly requiring wooden buckets to make, would changing that multiple purpose bucket to a item with one, worth it? Especially if you need to add onto that item and it might make QoL better. Could also end up with watering cans being mobile sprinklers that run off the player using it. Taking jobs away from those who want to help.
Making things too easy.

#34 2020-10-25 18:52:44

Spoonwood

ThePissOff wrote:
bpskotch wrote:
ThePissOff wrote:

I can understand that.
But
Possibly requiring wooden buckets to make, would changing that multiple purpose bucket to a item with one, worth it? Especially if you need to add onto that item and it might make QoL better. Could also end up with watering cans being mobile sprinklers that run off the player using it. Taking jobs away from those who want to help.
Making things too easy.

I don't think that things were too easy on server 1 or server 2 during the September sale (wondible streamed and didn't check a custom server, neither did new players who streamed on YouTube, I think).  From the little I've watched of Twisted's video, and he checked bigserver2 as a custom server, during that sale weekend things were not too easy by any stretch of the imagination on bigserver2 either.

Jason's dream is to have all of his 16 servers filled with players.  Eves only spawn every so often.  And if all of the servers were filled, probably almost all, or most of them would either be new players, casuals, or roleplayers.  If you have a convincing argument that under those conditions watering cans would make the game "too easy", then by all means detail it.  But, I think if you took those conditions seriously, I think the idea that watering cans would make things "too easy" falls apart very, very quickly.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#35 2020-10-25 20:15:05

ThePissOff

Spoonwood wrote:
ThePissOff wrote:
bpskotch wrote:

I can understand that.
But
Making things too easy.

I don't think that things were too easy on server 1 or server 2 during the September sale (wondible streamed and didn't check a custom server, neither did new players who streamed on YouTube, I think).  From the little I've watched of Twisted's video, and he checked bigserver2 as a custom server, during that sale weekend things were not too easy by any stretch of the imagination on bigserver2 either.

Jason's dream is to have all of his 16 servers filled with players.  Eves only spawn every so often.  And if all of the servers were filled, probably almost all, or most of them would either be new players, casuals, or roleplayers.  If you have a convincing argument that under those conditions watering cans would make the game "too easy", then by all means detail it.  But, I think if you took those conditions seriously, I think the idea that watering cans would make things "too easy" falls apart very, very quickly.

The issue was having 500+ new players flood into the game, regardless if we had watering cans, they couldn't make it passed Eve camp.  The non-easy part about that was not having enough people to teach newer players.

We're already running on a diesel engine wells in most towns on Bs2. Bs2 at the moment is where a majority of the players are at, and we still don't use sprinklers. It creates too much produce for the population, and people end up standing around doing absolutely nothing.
They're choosing not to use sprinklers even though they're beneficial and it gives them more time and freedom.
I just see watering cans going down a similar road.
Couldn't be sure unless they were added and played with by the whole Bs2.
I could be very much wrong, but I don't see a point in them. They'll either give you too much water, or not enough to waste a bucket.

#36 2020-10-25 20:57:48

Spoonwood

ThePissOff wrote:

The issue was having 500+ new players flood into the game, regardless if we had watering cans, they couldn't make it passed Eve camp.

No, that wasn't the only issue.  bs2 wasn't stuck on an Eve camp stage.  Some of the families were already living in towns.  Twisted's video, again he was playing on bs2, also shows them on a deep well which is dry and who knows if it got upgraded?, they have a very low amount of clothing, and food variety is weak: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk1KxEp … reload=101

Edit:
My position isn't that watering cans wouldn't do all that much for new players.  However, that the game is "too easy" just isn't something that applies to most new players, and the game becoming harder isn't likely to make things better for most players.  Watering cans might make things easier overall for players, and I don't see how that would be bad, since experienced players would have something more to craft, and thus another choice about what to do.  What is the optimal thing to do in game, I don't think, is easily known for any player, or very, very few players, if they play enough lives.

ThePissOff wrote:

It creates too much produce for the population, and people end up standing around doing absolutely nothing.

You're talking about a situation with the server not even half full like 90%+ of the time.  More like 99%+ of the time really.  Also, many of those people would try to find some way to stand around not do much anyways.  They aren't interested in playing a starvation simulator where they have to hustle to make food or die.

ThePissOff wrote:

They're choosing not to use sprinklers even though they're beneficial and it gives them more time and freedom.

I simply don't believe sprinklers beneficial.  In order to get to sprinklers from scratch, a family needs a completely different setup.  They also take a fair amount of time to make, and experienced players realize that spending their time on technology in this game is often not the best thing for the family. This post here: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … p?id=10201 even though it speaks in favor of sprinklers says things like:

NoTruePunk wrote:

It'll never pay off the cost of even the sprinkler pipes though

Towns always need/can use iron for shovels, axes, steel hoes, and smithing hammer replacements.  Also for more cart making in the long run.

Also:

NoTruePunk wrote:

That's a lot! Sprinklers take generations to pay themselves off, but unlike plows they work for gooseberries and milkweed, so it's a realistic number of runs.

But, the family has to last generations for them to pay off.

And this is the kicker:

NoTruePunk wrote:

Basically don't purpose-build an engine for sprinklers unless you really, REALLY have nothing better to do. It might just kill your society. Instead go look for a spare engine from dead towns.

Well, then for a family rebuilding from scratch, sprinklers are NOT worth it.  And they wouldn't be worth it with a larger server population also. 

Additionally, I note that NoTruePunk didn't even consider the loss from an experienced player doing sprinklers instead of farming, cooking, managing the water supply, or getting people clothing.  When those other things get taken into account, it doesn't seem likely at all that making a sprinkler system, even if beneficial, would be more beneficial than other things.

ThePissOff wrote:

I just see watering cans going down a similar road.

I've used watering cans in 2HOL.  You can see their recipe here: https://twotech.twohoursonelife.com/701 … Can/recipe  Thing is with a watering can you do NOT have to change farm layout.  If you had a 3x3 farm layout, 3x3 is still good for a watering can.  And they don't require something non-renewable like kerosene.  It's a quick time-saver for a farmer.  Maybe they wouldn't be worth it, but I see no reason to think that they would go down a similar road, since they end up common in 2HOL.

ThePissOff wrote:

They'll either give you too much water, or not enough to waste a bucket.

I don't know why you think watering cans would give you too much water.  They don't give you more water in 2HOL.  On the contrary, they *consume* water in the making of them.  What they do do though in 2HOL though is for *some* initial time spent in making them, there's a time payoff for any farmer using them, with the same farm layout as before.  In other words, watering cans in 2HOL enable the player to feel like their time is better used, since there's less running back and forth between a bowl and a bucket.  Thus, an experienced player can more readily support less experienced players when farming using a watering can better than using a bowl and a bucket, since they don't need to spend as much time farming.  And though there is some startup cost to watering cans, it's kind of low.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-10-25 22:31:22)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#37 2020-10-26 03:55:06

Uncreative Guy

I’m disappointed that this wasn’t continued on the subreddit.  I liked the idea of at least a daily post on there to keep it semi-active.

I’m not creative enough to make a creative signature which explains my noncreative nickname of Uncreative Guy.

#38 2020-10-26 06:15:02

NoTruePunk

Uncreative Guy wrote:

I’m disappointed that this wasn’t continued on the subreddit.  I liked the idea of at least a daily post on there to keep it semi-active.

Mods started to delete the posts. Rule 1 I think

#39 2020-10-26 06:19:56

NoTruePunk

unknown.png

#40 2020-10-26 16:30:05

Uncreative Guy

NoTruePunk wrote:
Uncreative Guy wrote:

Mods started to delete the posts. Rule 1 I think

Oh that's sad.  I'm surprised that r/onehouronelife has active mods, and equally surprised that they moderate better then 99% of other subs I've been to.  It was nice to see the sub become active again because its just the occasional noob writing a story once a week anymore.

I’m not creative enough to make a creative signature which explains my noncreative nickname of Uncreative Guy.

#41 2020-10-27 12:40:11

arkajalka

Its pretty funny that we have complex motor powered watering devices, but lack the knowledge to build the most simple efficient watering tool.

Its like Wright brothers flew straight to moon.

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#42 2020-10-28 19:32:19

karltown_veteran

arkajalka wrote:

Its pretty funny that we have complex motor powered watering devices, but lack the knowledge to build the most simple efficient watering tool.

Its like Wright brothers flew straight to moon.

Well, I imagine it's hard for Jason to put everything in historical order since there's so much stuff out there.
Like how we have race cars and delivery vans but only one type of fruit.

.-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / ... - .-. .- -. --. . .-.-.- / ... --- / .- -- / .. .-.-.-
ˆ ø˜ç´ ƒ®åµ´∂ å˜ ˆ˜˜øç∑˜† å˜∂ ©ø† å∑å¥ ∑ˆ†˙ ˆ†
he xnt bzm qdzc sghr, xnt zqd z enqlhczakd noonmdms
veteran of an OHOL town called Karltown. Not really a veteran and my names not Karl

#43 2020-10-28 23:17:23

DestinyCall

I don't think the problem is that Jason can't put in "everything".  Of course he is going to leave a few things out.  And OHOL does not need every single object available in the world to be a good game or to feel like COMPLETE game. 

I think the real problem is that Jason jumped over a lot of intermediate tech when he added the diesel engine.

We went from cooking meat over hot coals and wearing rabbit skins to driving cars and wearing fancy clothes with almost no middle ground.   The early game feels pretty decent (ignoring the weird iron and well system), but the tech progression in the middle and upper tier is just weird and all over the place.

Why do we still smelt iron in a modified adobe oven?  Why do we still raise babies around an open fire and wear rabbitskin backpacks, and use sharp stones to grind our wheat?  Why do we eat off clay plates and use clay bowls for everything? 

There should be other ways to make rope and other basic supplies.   Better ways to mass-produce useful items.   More incremental tech progression and some meaningful milestones after reaching sheep but before we get diesel. 

The current state of the game feels unfinished and poorly planned.   It needs polishing.

#44 2020-10-28 23:22:54

DestinyCall

Also ... it needs more watercans. 

wateringcan

Obviously.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2020-10-28 23:24:43)

#45 2020-11-09 20:35:14

NoTruePunk

unknown.png

#46 2020-11-13 09:04:21

Morti

gfeIbhP.gif

smile

Board footer