One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-10-19 19:58:41

Spoonwood

Recent One Hourish Review From Steam

Not Recommended
0.8 hrs last two weeks / 1.2 hrs on record

"The concept is interesting and fun BUT the controls are abysmal you do literally EVERYTHING with the mouse no crafting menu etc. i wish you had a crafting menu and could walk with WASD instead would be a 10/10 game then right now in my personal opinion its a 1/10 simply because the controls/crafting are unecessary hard/clunky. "

https://steamcommunity.com/id/427683563 … ed/595690/

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-10-19 21:31:42)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#2 2020-10-19 20:40:40

Twisted

Re: Recent One Hourish Review From Steam

I never really understood the control complaints. I think OHOL should have WASD controls for accessibility reasons, but I can't really imagine playing a grid-based game with WASD. Using a mouse is so much easier and more intuitive for me.

#3 2020-10-19 20:47:22

Coconut Fruit

I use WSAD almost all the time using hetuw. It should be in the vanilla as well IMO, especially if new people ask for it.
Crafting menu (recipe book) is another thing that should be in the game. It's really weird we don't have it (except this ugly text recipes at the bottom right screen).

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#4 2020-10-19 21:32:36

Spoonwood

Twisted wrote:

I never really understood the control complaints. I think OHOL should have WASD controls for accessibility reasons, but I can't really imagine playing a grid-based game with WASD. Using a mouse is so much easier and more intuitive for me.

What about the part about having no (picture based) crafting menu?

Danish Clinch.

#5 2020-10-19 22:05:04

BlueCramberry64

I really dislike mouse controls. Moving around is so bad, always clicking over trees and grabbing unwanted stuff. I didn't realized how bad it was until using WASD. I also love the shortcuts E, B and shift Q.

Not gonna lie thou, I still prefer left and right click for some tasks. Shift and Ctrl WASD/space to take stuff takes time to adjust.

#6 2020-10-20 01:03:05

NoTruePunk

Jason said no GUI. He's committed to that.

A recipe tutorial for each basic recipe might help. So if players want to look up and practice a recipe they can navegate to it through the main menu.

#7 2020-10-20 01:30:27

Spoonwood

NoTruePunk wrote:

Where and when? Was it in some advertisement or promise when people bought the game?  Did he say that in some comment or post in the forums *with a date* on it?  If it's not in any advertisement, it's likely a statement made with some time indicator on it.  Temporally dependent statements, which is many of all possible statements, can and often enough change from true to false.  So, I don't see how him saying that, even *if* he did say such, would mean much.

It's also supposed to be an one hour game.  One would rationally expect engaging one's biggest parts of one's brain as much as possible and often as possible.  A pictorial based crafting guide is a lot closer to such expectations than text-based ones.

Danish Clinch.

#8 2020-10-20 05:04:31

NoTruePunk

Spoonwood wrote:
NoTruePunk wrote:

Where and when? Was it in some advertisement or promise when people bought the game?  Did he say that in some comment or post in the forums *with a date* on it?  If it's not in any advertisement, it's likely a statement made with some time indicator on it.  Temporally dependent statements, which is many of all possible statements, can and often enough change from true to false.  So, I don't see how him saying that, even *if* he did say such, would mean much.

It's also supposed to be an one hour game.  One would rationally expect engaging one's biggest parts of one's brain as much as possible and often as possible.  A pictorial based crafting guide is a lot closer to such expectations than text-based ones.

He sorta gets into it here in a rant about lettering:

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 424#p44424

#9 2020-10-20 13:15:57

Spoonwood

NoTruePunk wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:
NoTruePunk wrote:

No, he does not.  He does not compare a pictorial based crafting guide like Moon's modded Hetuw has for 2HOL with OHOL's text based crafting guide.  Nor does he compare his crafting guide with You Are Hope's "book".

Danish Clinch.

#10 2020-10-20 13:50:02

JonySky
Website

NoTruePunk wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:
NoTruePunk wrote:

this he wrote in 2019-02-04 19:25:26
currently an average of 40 players remain
I don't have much confidence

Board footer