One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-10-17 21:27:15

Spoonwood

Some Commentary on Watching Some New Players And Traveling

I saw one streamer who described this game as "The Ultimate Roleplaying Game" here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/772757390 with title "ONE HOUR ONE SEC OND ONE MINUTE ONE CHANCE.. .to make it big time"

Another streamer said "It's My Life, It's Now Or Never, Because We Literally Only Have An Hour." https://www.twitch.tv/videos/772263070

I also watched a young streamer.  Like, I think the person might be a boy under 10 young (and the exact age is something probably best kept private).  After he found the snake pit in the wilderness challenge, he played a life.  He ended up talking with two family members near the end of their life below the kitchen and near the smithy.  They both died.  He ended up crying, and though of course, no such thing in reality is going on, I think his emotion was genuine.  He ended up then convincing the leader to kill him so that he could join his brother in the afterlife.  Though, I don't believe in any sort of afterlife, and feel somewhat concerned that people would justify their own death on the basis of a belief in an afterlife, I think this person was playing the character.  The person wasn't twinning either.  If it was roleplaying, it was the best type of roleplaying.

He also played as a Ginger another life where she couldn't pick a banana (the first pronoun refers to the player, the second to the character).  She got bite by a mosquito and died shortly thereafter.  Also, this Github report is kind of similar where thomasgovens's character had a banana craving and tried to pick a banana: https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLife/issues/679  I don't have links, since neither of these streamers recorded their videos.  Since there's no jungle in the tutorial area, and it's completely not intuitive nor explained how a character's race restricts biome access, isn't this sort of inability to get food from some areas, setting up new players for failure, where failure means not living to old age or not living a life with a dramatic, in character story like the above of assisted suicide?

Also, after spending a few lives traveling last weekend, I reflected on seeing the automatic messages of the birth of relatives.  They certainly look like things that the characters say, and thus don't make any sense to me, since how can they know that a relative got born that far away?  But, for a hypothetical traveler who left home, and had known her sister Sally or brother Sten even for a short time while young, such a person might wonder things like:

"Did Sally have children?"

"Did Steven find meaning in his life?"

and other sorts of things about their relatives.  Such automatic messages might be easy to overdo.  But also, they might help add a richer narrative element.  Thoughts?

I've also heard that homelands likely will go away, so such richer narrative elements might not be so easy to conceive as plausible in the future.  I also feel it would be a shame that the fertility control enabled by homelands would just vanish.

Also, since homelands still exist, if one makes a cistern and uses it outside of one's homeland, does that change the homeland of the mother, or the entire extended family?  Raising children outside of one's homeland also seems rather rough on them due to food generational decline.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-10-17 21:59:25)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

Board footer