One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-10-11 20:45:21

OdinCockeril

Genetic Fitness Rework?

Hi,

Currently getting really frustrated at the way genetic fitness works. Even if I work my ass off and make a huge difference to the base, all it takes is one scruffbag to make my whole life pointless. I think the formula needs reworking to weight some things lower/higher than others. Here's a great example:

https://gyazo.com/29161025033f0bf020f2d6c164f7222c

My great grand daughter died 30seconds in to the game, 2 minutes before I died of old age nowhere near me.. meanwhile I had set up the farm, smithed everything, got everybody food etc etc. A play this useless should not affect your score, especially when it's a "great granddaughter".

Last edited by OdinCockeril (2020-10-11 20:46:00)

Haven't said my last words yet

#2 2020-10-12 12:43:29

Gogo
Banned

Re: Genetic Fitness Rework?

Easy to fix. Great grandchildren should have lower impact on your score than loss of -1.0.

#3 2020-10-12 13:13:09

Spoonwood

Last night all of my children in Burns family either were /dies or the one runner baby.  I think I had that runner baby give my score red last night, who ran after I had picked him up.  This seems really odd, since chasing runner babies has been the wrong thing to do, since you know it's a human person deliberately running away, they can be hard to catch, and they can kill their self later on, even if you feed them until 5.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#4 2020-10-12 17:33:54

OdinCockeril

I think it should be as simple as rewarding life more than punishing death. The issue now is I might have a family of 10 people that all live till sixty, I get 0.1-0.2 per person, then 1 great grandson dies and makes all that effort worthless.

#5 2020-10-12 17:52:03

OdinCockeril

Spoonwood wrote:

Last night all of my children in Burns family either were /dies or the one runner baby.  I think I had that runner baby give my score red last night, who ran after I had picked him up.  This seems really odd, since chasing runner babies has been the wrong thing to do, since you know it's a human person deliberately running away, they can be hard to catch, and they can kill their self later on, even if you feed them until 5.

I agree. It should be easier to chase and find your child if it does a runner

#6 2020-10-12 18:47:47

Arcurus

my suggestion would be to make having kids in average more positive:

- half negative score for kids and grandkids
- half positive score for you and other relatives then kids and grandkids

#7 2020-10-13 08:10:43

NoTruePunk

I don't think gene score is important. It's just a flex, and yes it's a bit random. I don't think that's a problem.

#8 2020-10-13 11:57:00

JonySky
Website

The memescore must not be modified ... it must be removed

Last edited by JonySky (2020-10-13 11:57:41)

#9 2020-10-13 12:58:35

Spoonwood

JonySky wrote:

What's your objection(s)?

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-10-13 12:59:01)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#10 2020-10-13 21:46:19

JonySky
Website

Spoonwood wrote:
JonySky wrote:

Typically in video games, rewards, scores and prizes are earned through the effort of the player or a team of players

For example, in APEX Legends, a team of players unite the skills of each character / player to be victorious (there is a common goal)

In OHOL there is no teamwork, the players perform individual tasks for 60 minutes (most of the time for fun)

Surely some of you think that the challenge of the group is to survive ... but to survive is an individual and personal challenge, it is not a family challenge

In early camp, when there is no food, the most skilled players survive ...
the fate of the family is pure luck! ... if the last girl is a new player ... that family dies ... that simple

There is no team, no family ... Each player is independent and performs independent tasks

So ... why has a score been created where the survival of the family is so important?

Simple: it is another forced mechanic to encourage teamwork, just like skill boxes and racist skills

But ... as in any game, you can always take advantage of the defects of the game mechanics

In OHOL, you can dedicate some games to raise your genetic score by forcing the feeding of your closest relatives so that they do not die of hunger and chasing and watching them with pads and needles, like a babysitter so that they do not end up dead

this is the only thing that encourages the genetic punctuation of meme ...
and ... no this is not family work either

Last edited by JonySky (2020-10-13 21:47:38)

#11 2020-10-15 01:00:14

OdinCockeril

Agreed. I think it needs to be more complex, as it also doesn't reward productivity that may not directly help ur closest relatives. e.g. if u spend all your life making an engine, or gathering sulpher, mining iron, or making clothes from rabbits.

JonySky wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:
JonySky wrote:

Typically in video games, rewards, scores and prizes are earned through the effort of the player or a team of players

For example, in APEX Legends, a team of players unite the skills of each character / player to be victorious (there is a common goal)

In OHOL there is no teamwork, the players perform individual tasks for 60 minutes (most of the time for fun)

Surely some of you think that the challenge of the group is to survive ... but to survive is an individual and personal challenge, it is not a family challenge

the fate of the family is pure luck! ... if the last girl is a new player ... that family dies ... that simple

There is no team, no family ... Each player is independent and performs independent tasks

So ... why has a score been created where the survival of the family is so important?

Simple: it is another forced mechanic to encourage teamwork, just like skill boxes and racist skills

But ... as in any game, you can always take advantage of the defects of the game mechanics

In OHOL, you can dedicate some games to raise your genetic score by forcing the feeding of your closest relatives so that they do not die of hunger and chasing and watching them with pads and needles, like a babysitter so that they do not end up dead

#12 2020-10-15 02:31:59

NoTruePunk

JonySky wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:
JonySky wrote:

I think we get a nice amount of teamwork on cooking and furnace tasks. And delegation and division of labor still counts as teamwork to me. Having someone go prep stacks of kindling is a huge help for everyone, even if they never personally use the kindling and it's an individual task.

#13 2020-10-15 07:21:06

JonySky
Website

NoTruePunk wrote:

I think we get a nice amount of teamwork on cooking and furnace tasks. And delegation and division of labor still counts as teamwork to me. Having someone go prep stacks of kindling is a huge help for everyone, even if they never personally use the kindling and it's an individual task.

In his words, if I steal wood from another city and take it to my city, is it also a team effort?
Or an EVE that stays in a dead city to reestablish it?
is it also a team effort with the dead family?

So, should you give me the genetic points of the other family?

This not the logical

A teamwork is NOT based on using the wood that another player has cut

A team effort is cutting a tree between 2 players
If there is no teamwork, there should be no rewards

Last edited by JonySky (2020-10-15 10:06:51)

#14 2020-10-15 08:08:17

JonySky
Website

OdinCockeril is also right ...
Productivity (about 50 minutes of play, not counting childhood) is useless in its genetic score

The genetic system will not give you more points for creating 1000 cakes
It won't even give you points for creating a single cake, because the genetic system only checks for the survival of its relatives

You can feed your children carrots and berries and if they manage to reach 60 years of age alive the system will give you points.... luck ?, probability ?, experience ?, individual intelligence ... maybe ... but group work NO!

Another curious situation: if your brother is a griefer and steals all his food to throw it behind the trees, but he lives to be 60 years old, the system will reward him with points ... interesting!(they will give you points too..., even if you manage to kill him when his brother is 50 years old ... he will also receive points!hahaha)

There is also the case of a player who wants to create dogs, or a racing car, or an airplane, or a radio.
they are useless items in the survival of the family ... what do we do with their genetic score?

what use is this? What motivation does this system generate?

Last edited by JonySky (2020-10-15 10:20:30)

#15 2020-10-15 13:56:27

Caprys

I don't even pay attention to my gene score because I don't like to be leader and it is still good. Maybe I'm just lucky.

#16 2020-10-15 14:48:13

JonySky
Website

Caprys wrote:

I don't even pay attention to my gene score because I don't like to be leader and it is still good. Maybe I'm just lucky.

If you don't do anything to increase your genetic score and still get more points ... it is evident that something is not working and it is just a matter of luck

#17 2020-10-15 15:32:21

Caprys

JonySky wrote:
Caprys wrote:

If you don't do anything to increase your genetic score and still get more points ... it is evident that something is not working and it is just a matter of luck

I share my clothes with them if there are none available. That's it. I don't ask if they are new or if they know yum. I kinda ignore it when they tell me they are new, but I try to help if they ask to teach them.

#18 2020-10-16 12:03:25

OdinCockeril

I disagree with this entirely. It's not about teamwork, it's about survival and how much work you put in to survive. Even if you're doing the "Dirty work" like stealing an engine from another town to save your town. This should in effect reward you. HOWEVER, it should be HIGH RISK as players from another town should be able to kill you easier. I think dogs should be able to work as guard dogs imo.

JonySky wrote:
NoTruePunk wrote:

In his words, if I steal wood from another city and take it to my city, is it also a team effort?
Or an EVE that stays in a dead city to reestablish it?
is it also a team effort with the dead family?

So, should you give me the genetic points of the other family?

This not the logical

A teamwork is NOT based on using the wood that another player has cut

A team effort is cutting a tree between 2 players
If there is no teamwork, there should be no rewards

#19 2020-10-16 12:07:07

OdinCockeril

In fact, I propose that they have "Genetic Fitness" AND another score called "Productivity Points". E.G making an engine would give you lots of productivity points, whereas stealing one would give you no productivity points, but if it saves your family from dying it might be the key to saving your gene score. This also stops griefers, because if they arent being productive, they wont gain much productivity score.

#20 2020-10-16 15:26:42

PsyKick

OdinCockeril wrote:

In fact, I propose that they have "Genetic Fitness" AND another score called "Productivity Points". E.G making an engine would give you lots of productivity points, whereas stealing one would give you no productivity points, but if it saves your family from dying it might be the key to saving your gene score. This also stops griefers, because if they arent being productive, they wont gain much productivity score.

That idea is flawed. You have the ability to take things apart and reassemble them, which would make the system think you crafted it. Also I don't believe Jason's Engine currently has the required additions to pull this off.

#21 2020-10-17 08:39:03

PsyKick

If I live to 60, all of my family except one live to 60 or about there, I get around 0.6-0.8 every hour. One great grandchild lives to be a year old and they die, -1.0 for not taking care of it. This really needs to be changed. It's crazy because I'm being punished for their mistakes and carelessness.

#22 2020-10-17 12:12:21

OdinCockeril

PsyKick wrote:

If I live to 60, all of my family except one live to 60 or about there, I get around 0.6-0.8 every hour. One great grandchild lives to be a year old and they die, -1.0 for not taking care of it. This really needs to be changed. It's crazy because I'm being punished for their mistakes and carelessness.

This is exactly why I made this thread. The fundamental issue is that the weighting is all off. You could gain less/lose less from great grandchild than you do from your direct child/family.

#23 2020-10-19 12:53:07

Dantox

I am surprised that jason hasnt given up on the gene score yet, so perhaps he is thinking on reworking it some day since right now its pretty much just RNG. Howerver i can see how difficult might implemente a score in general in a game that doesnt track "survival actions" that could conclude in x amounts of survival points or whatever. I think the game would be better if there wasnt a gene score in general.

make bread, no war

#24 2020-10-19 15:31:00

JonySky
Website

Dantox wrote:

I am surprised that jason hasnt given up on the gene score yet, so perhaps he is thinking on reworking it some day since right now its pretty much just RNG. Howerver i can see how difficult might implemente a score in general in a game that doesnt track "survival actions" that could conclude in x amounts of survival points or whatever. I think the game would be better if there wasnt a gene score in general.

I also think that the genetic points should disappear

OHOL is a game where when night falls, the low population of players "kills" many families every week

This should be an indicator that a system of "genetic points" based on family survival will not work.

Genetic points must be individual ... and must be based on personal efforts

punishing or rewarding an individual for the acts of other players is contradictory ... (like everything in this game)

ehhh, but don't worry! we have racing cars!

Last edited by JonySky (2020-10-19 15:35:40)

#25 2020-10-19 17:47:26

ahead

the gene score doesn't measure if your family survives beyond the people you've seen when alive, this means any project that will not benefit your offspring now is pointless in the system's eyes, this is what i believe to be the problem

Sorry, nothing

Board footer