One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-10-09 20:55:57

NoTruePunk

Kerosene tutorial?

Are there any accurate tutorials out there right now on how to get kerosene? How do tarry spots work? How much water does it take to make kerosene?

#2 2020-10-09 21:46:34

DestinyCall

Re: Kerosene tutorial?

How much water = Lots and lots

#3 2020-10-09 23:17:20

Spoonwood

NoTruePunk wrote:

Are there any accurate tutorials out there right now on how to get kerosene? How do tarry spots work? How much water does it take to make kerosene?

If a server has less than 15 people on it, I think there is a tutorial out there on YouTube by DarkDrak, or at least was (except he uses a desert tarry spot).

Tarry spots are only in the arctic at present.

I made something of a guide a while back on doing an oil rig, but it's kind of outdated for bs2, because it doesn't cover the process of getting rubber.  It's fine though for a server with less than 15 people on it, and if you have the rubber you need AND you have access to an arctic tarry spot, it should do.  Also, it should work for 2HOL:

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 764#p65764

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-10-09 23:19:02)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#4 2020-10-09 23:23:00

NoTruePunk

DestinyCall wrote:

How much water = Lots and lots

So each tank of crude takes 1 bucket of water to make, not counting drilling. So right away each crude use takes one bucket.

There's a 1/5 chance to get a gushing oil well each time you drill, and each gushing spot is good for 11 crude extractions on average. 5/11 =.4545

So far we have

1+0.45=1.45

But! Rolling and boring the steel into pipes also takes water in the multipurpose Newcomen engine. Assuming you can make 6 rods with each firing of the roller mechanism and bore those 6 rods with each firing of the boring mechanism that's 1/3 of a bucket of water per pipe. That's a fairly generous allotment, as firing that many takes skill, setup and a good connection. The maximum amount of water it could take is 2 buckets per pipe. So let's add that back into the drilling cost:

5.33/11=0.48
7/11=0.63

This is still pretty middling so I'm going to go ahead and average those values to 0.56, bringing us to a cost of 1.56 buckets of water per tank of crude.

Drilling also takes steel pipes, each requiring 1 iron to produce. Each iron takes 1/5 of a kerosene use in a diesel mine, and each kerosene use takes 1/6 of a tank of crude. This is a small amount, but for now we'll just call it X. The real value of X will always be greater than 0 but less than it's max value, since manual mining accounts for some amount of iron that will go into the system initially. I think this requires an infinite series to calculate, since kerosene takes itself to produce, but I'm just going to treat it as a flat value for simplicity.

1.56/30=0.052

Add that back into the cost of drilling again:

5.39/11=0.49
7.052/11=0.64

So each tank of kero takes, on average, ROUGHLY, 1.49 to 1.64 buckets of water to make. That's 0.25 to 0.27 buckets per use.

The only part of this we have any control over is how many pipes and rods we get out of each Newcomen firing, which doesn't amount to much in the equation. So if you're rolling and boring pipes for it in a dedicated fashion then go ahead and get as many as you can out, but if there's any sort of logistical cost such as storage or transportation associated with making them in advance then I would definitely pass on it. Just make enough for one trip out to the oil rig.

#5 2020-10-10 00:58:47

Spoonwood

NoTruePunk wrote:

The only part of this we have any control over is how many pipes and rods we get out of each Newcomen firing, which doesn't amount to much in the equation. So if you're rolling and boring pipes for it in a dedicated fashion then go ahead and get as many as you can out, but if there's any sort of logistical cost such as storage or transportation associated with making them in advance then I would definitely pass on it. Just make enough for one trip out to the oil rig.

If you're rolling out rods yourself, it's probably a good idea to roll as many rods as you can when you first use the roller.  Assuming that you do an oil rig first, which ideally you would in a context where drilling the oil isn't an issue (you're Ginger or playing 2HOL or playing on a server with less than 15 people on it), you'll need more rods and pipes for an engine later.  When I've done it, even getting out 8 rods sometimes, I still often have to use it a second time, before the rig is wet.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-10-10 00:59:29)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

Board footer