One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-28 16:02:45

QuirkySmirkyIan

Building insulation needs to be bigger

So recently I built a 13x13 including walls 11x11 without building on a low pop server for my smithing purposes, image can be found here As you can see it doesn't give very good insulation especially near the walls. I think there needs to be more alternatives to increase the temperature then bear rugs and fire. Possibly some sort of ventilation system or just change it so bigger buildings can get insulation. I'm not sure if this is true but 6x6 buildings are the max ideal insulation size??? That's really small and not ideal for a factory like building my smithery was getting full quickly when I was using it...

Last edited by QuirkySmirkyIan (2019-11-28 16:04:38)

Open gate now. Need truck to be more efficient!

#2 2019-11-28 16:32:15

DestinyCall

Re: Building insulation needs to be bigger

I think the room size limit is the problem.   I don't believe the code is currently able to recognize larger rooms properly.

#3 2019-11-28 16:54:38

QuirkySmirkyIan

DestinyCall wrote:

I think the room size limit is the problem.   I don't believe the code is currently able to recognize larger rooms properly.

Well once jason gets back from his vacation hopefully he changes his code because 6x6 is very small.

#4 2019-11-28 17:22:31

Coconut Fruit

QuirkySmirkyIan wrote:

image can be found here As you can see it doesn't give very good insulation especially near the walls.

As I can see the doors are open, so the room doesn't count as indoors :D
But yeah, closed doors would probably change nothing because of indoor size limitations.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#5 2019-11-28 18:28:20

QuirkySmirkyIan

Coconut Fruit wrote:
QuirkySmirkyIan wrote:

image can be found here As you can see it doesn't give very good insulation especially near the walls.

As I can see the doors are open, so the room doesn't count as indoors big_smile
But yeah, closed doors would probably change nothing because of indoor size limitations.

Good point I was just finding a picture in a hurry because I didn't have a good picture and didn't want to do a life then. But it's still kinda cold even with the doors closed.

#6 2019-11-28 18:29:13

Spoonwood

I tried to warn you Ian, though probably did a poor job of that, so I'll take the blame here.

There was a thread a while back in May and June started by Dodge (oh dear.. I'm crediting Dodge with something... the apocalypse TRULY must have happened now) :https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6743

Jason shows up, and apparently there's some computational issues with larger interior room spaces than 6x6 for temperature purposes.

As I recall, betsst got around the main problem though.  Like 6x6 should be enough for a bakery I think.  6x6 should be fine for a smithy before an engine, I think.  Perhaps it's kind of tight, but could 6x6 be just enough?  So maybe, you can make a 6x6 smithy and put a newcomen smithy right next to it and transport things around.  And as I recall, betsst eventually changed her town into something like that.  I would prefer a larger smithy myself, and if you follow the link down you can see the image of my partially destroyed smithy since it didn't meet my expectations, and it was hard to figure out how buildings could be at the time.  Fug might have some other ideas also, since fug is good like that.

Also, there were more options to have good temperature before the temperature overhaul.  It's one of the reasons why I keep on going on about it.  Decreased possibilities really sucks.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#7 2020-10-05 11:52:22

Gogo
Banned

I'm necroing this topic, because it crossed my mind most ergonomical kitchen IMO is 7x8-9. It can be cut to 6 tiles wide, ok, but 6 tiles lenght is pretty small. Is there a heat bonus from oven, if no why not? Imma try to build 6x6 kitchen and smithy, see how it feels to work in space like that.

#8 2020-10-05 14:20:41

Spoonwood

Gogo wrote:

6 tiles lenght is pretty small. Is there a heat bonus from oven

There does exist a heat bonus from an oven either on fire or that has just gone out.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#9 2020-10-05 16:49:17

DestinyCall

Last I heard, the room size issue was still present and significant.   

Springy doors and cheaper building materials (pine needles) mean that building is now more achievable, but it is largely cosmetic.  Most rooms will not provide adequate protection against the elements.   This is because the size of room that we build for practical reasons does not gain full insulation bonuses.    The walls are too far apart, so the engine cannot "see" all four walls are present when calculating if the space is "inside" or "outside". 

The only room that really benefits would be a small-sized nursery.  Assuming everyone keeps the door closed (or the room is equipped with springy doors), a small enclosed nursery would provide significant insulation.  You might not even need to keep the fire going, since the room insulation in addition to full clothing would keep you pretty warm even without an external heat source.   But the village needs a fire and most villages can't afford to fully clothe all babies immediately.    Since you can just build a fire anywhere, even outside in the open, to get better heat values than the "best" room, it is really unnecessary to design the nursery as a 6x6 room with expensive springy doors.   

Honestly, the very best nursery is two slow burning tiles positioned one tile apart.   The central tile achieves near perfect temperature.   It requires twice as much firewood to maintain both fires and you need to make sure all babies and mothers understand where they should be standing to gain the temperature benefits, but this style of "nursery" significantly reduces food costs.  You can live for a very long time without eating if you maintain perfect temp.   Your food drain is minimal.

A similar effect can be achieved  by standing directly on a small fire or doing the "naked baby" dance on a large fire.

#10 2020-10-06 04:56:59

Gogo
Banned

People will build up every open-space area. They even messed up my medical area next to bb room (with extra pads and needles on floors) with pine walls around. hmm

Spoonwood wrote:

There does exist a heat bonus from an oven either on fire or that has just gone out.

Ahh, good!

#11 2020-10-06 08:30:44

JonySky
Website

DestinyCall wrote:

The walls are too far apart, so the engine cannot "see" all four walls are present when calculating if the space is "inside" or "outside".

yeah that's another big game engine problem
The smartest solution would be to update the game engine to get basic things like:

- temperature system
- shared transportation
- climatology
- diseases

If we don't change the motor, the only thing we're going to get is sloppy patches or incoherent magic solutions.

Last edited by JonySky (2020-10-06 08:33:14)

Board footer