One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-10-02 07:54:22

st2019

How to get Iron as Solo-Eve?

After some months not playing OHOL I tried out today the eve tutorial (Solo play).

But how do I get iron?

To get the Muddy Iron Vein running I need to have a well?
To get a well I need steel for a shovel? I had a "family ready well" but could not create it ...
There seems no longer iron laying around outside of veins?

So how are these mechanisms working? Are they explained somewhere completely?

FluxBB bbcode test

Last edited by st2019 (2020-10-02 07:58:58)

I'm an expert for: Sharp Stones

#2 2020-10-02 08:08:35

Caprys

Re: How to get Iron as Solo-Eve?

What you have on the picture should be enough to open up iron veins east and west of your well spot (if they are close enough).

#3 2020-10-02 08:30:40

Eve Troll

You need to make the stone circle. Then collect iron from the exposed iron veins on the same lay lines from the well. You get four each. Once you completely remove the iron, pop the well. If you do not fully remove them in that first stage they will go dry and you will never get iron in that area again. Once you pop the well you get an additional bit of iron but past that point it costs hungry work to produce one iron bar.

Last edited by Eve Troll (2020-10-02 08:33:36)

#4 2020-10-02 14:33:02

Spoonwood

Eve Troll wrote:

Then collect iron from the exposed iron veins on the same lay lines from the well. You get four each.

Given that the right direction has only muddy iron veins and no springs or tarry spots instead, the first four muddy iron veins, at distance of 40, 80, 120, and 160 from your well site, will all have iron.  The same goes for the left direction of your well site / well later.  Theoretically, one could thus have 8 mines from one well site/well.  That said, in my experience, if you get 3 mines as a total from both directions, you've gotten rather lucky, since natural springs, bad biomes, and tarry spots often end up there instead.  It's not uncommon that it seems like only 1 mine or 0 mines will be in both directions from a natural spring also.

Eve Troll wrote:

Once you pop the well you get an additional bit of iron but past that point it costs hungry work to produce one iron bar.

Until one can install a diesel engine on the collapsed iron mine.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#5 2020-10-02 14:59:35

DestinyCall

Does this only work for Eve?

I tried starting a new well at a potential site for a satellite village and I didn't get any iron.

#6 2020-10-02 16:58:24

Spoonwood

DestinyCall wrote:

Does this only work for Eve?

I tried starting a new well at a potential site for a satellite village and I didn't get any iron.

There's basically only well per family.  In other words, you can't create a new well for iron, when your family still has an attachment to that well (hence Whatever's picture of Jason's image creepily staring at an adult female player from a well).  I think there exist some work arounds, but I don't know those details, and they might be tricky.

If you play on a low pop server and Eve chain though, at present at least, it works out differently because of families dying out sooner basically (though the underlying code is the same).  Once you die, and all of your descendants die also, the well no longer belongs to your family, since your family no longer exists.  So, you can make a well site or dig up a well 40 tiles north or south, or further for more iron I think, when you log back.  Or someone else can.  I once settled in a spot, did something else in my life, and someone else made a well site 40 tiles north of me (or (40, 40) with respect to my well site), and there was more iron unlocked up north.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-10-02 16:59:11)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

Board footer