One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-23 01:34:15

yvanhooe

I, for one, welcome the decay update. It is the best solution so far.

Let me explain. The design idea Jason has is that making a village should be harder and not a stable state, that exile and rebuilding/extending the existing should be unavoidable. Still, many people felt it sad that already built village would just disappear.

First there was the apocalypse, and this was terribly bad. Then there was the scattering of Eves, which had a similar effect without being actually that bad. Now the scattering is reportedly removed, we can finally make a city/resume a city that was abandoned again! Jason simply made it much harder by making a lot of objects unusable in abandoned cities. Decay is a new mechanics, it is broken in many ways but it will be repaired. It is, IMO, the good long-term solution.

#2 2018-04-23 02:53:58

Go! Bwah!

Re: I, for one, welcome the decay update. It is the best solution so far.

I think it's viable on a timeframe of like 12-24 hours.  Long enough that dead villages can't be restarted without significant effort, but not so short that an alive village is consistently dying out from under you.

I like to go by "Eve Scripps" and name my kids after medications smile

#3 2018-04-23 03:01:11

Turnipseed

like the idea of it. hate the implementation. metal tools should be able to be scrapped for some material or the heads reused i mean i have my great grandmothers garden hoe. it's on its third handle but still works, and why cant i burn a broken skewer? if for nothing else than to get rid of it

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#4 2018-04-23 03:06:43

NyanRose

The think the idea of decay is nice, but it's far too fast. I think it would be best if it activates faster if the town has been without people for a certain period of time. Otherwise it should take a few generations to start decaying.

In real life a good basket can last for a long time. Any anything if maintained, can last. If the town is active and being maintained, it shouldn't be falling apart after one generation.

I liked the idea that the game was pitched iwth, building on what was already there and advancing as we build more. But now nothing we build lasts. When restarts happen and we are forced to log out, we can't continue at the village that was thriving. So it's a constant state of starting over. I miss being able to be reborn in a village I worked on and seeing it. I know it's not easy finding balance, but repair should be possible and decay should be slow in active villages. I would like if eves could spawn near 'abandoned' villages to attempt to rebuild. Coming to it ruined is fine if it can be repaired. Bringing back an old civilization sounds like so much fun!

Last edited by NyanRose (2018-04-23 03:09:30)

#5 2018-04-23 03:15:02

Go! Bwah!

NyanRose wrote:

The think the idea of decay is nice, but it's far too fast. I think it would be best if it activates faster if the town has been without people for a certain period of time. Otherwise it should take a few generations to start decaying.

Give people a "maintenance field" so that every time they walk by an item, its decay is reversed by a small amount...

#6 2018-04-23 03:16:07

Lily

I think the decay should be slower for things you store the item inside. You should also be able to repair things to a degree. So for example when your clothing starts to fall apart, you can patch it up to extend the time it is usable, then after that it finally decays permanently.

#7 2018-04-23 03:20:58

kubassa
Banned

yvanhooe wrote:

Let me explain. The design idea Jason has is that making a village should be harder and not a stable state, that exile and rebuilding/extending the existing should be unavoidable. Still, many people felt it sad that already built village would just disappear.

First there was the apocalypse, and this was terribly bad. Then there was the scattering of Eves, which had a similar effect without being actually that bad. Now the scattering is reportedly removed, we can finally make a city/resume a city that was abandoned again! Jason simply made it much harder by making a lot of objects unusable in abandoned cities. Decay is a new mechanics, it is broken in many ways but it will be repaired. It is, IMO, the good long-term solution.

Well I will not play the game any longer due to this update. Have fun in a game by yourself with zero progress in your life. When the sheep sheer only get 1 use its pointless. Have to forge 5 set every life to get clothes is retarded and that's if the sheep have fur. You may need to feed them too, witch in that case it will end up taking your whole life just to craft the clothes you wont get to use.

All the game is now is being born to an eve that doesn't bother taking care of kids, or born into a failing farm, or into a deserted ex village that has nothing but rubble and decaying stuff everywhere. It is very boring when trying to accomplishing something in your life means nothing when it breaks and is decayed before you are even dead.

I'm done good luck with your game Jason.

I got huge ballz.

#8 2018-04-23 03:23:13

Go! Bwah!

kubassa wrote:

Well I will not play the game any longer due to this update. Have fun in a game by yourself with zero progress in your life. When the sheep sheer only get 1 use its pointless. Have to forge 5 set every life to get clothes is retarded and that's if the sheep have fur. You may need to feed them too, witch in that case it will end up taking your whole life just to craft the clothes you wont get to use.

All the game is now is being born to an eve that doesn't bother taking care of kids, or born into a failing farm, or into a deserted ex village that has nothing but rubble and decaying stuff everywhere. It is very boring when trying to accomplishing something in your life means nothing when it breaks and is decayed before you are even dead.

I'm done good luck with your game Jason.

Have you ever considered piracy? You'd make a wonderful Dread Pirate Roberts.

#9 2018-04-23 03:31:22

denriguez

NyanRose wrote:

In real life a good basket can last for a long time. Any anything if maintained, can last. If the town is active and being maintained, it shouldn't be falling apart after one generation.

I liked the idea that the game was pitched iwth, building on what was already there and advancing as we build more. But now nothing we build lasts. When restarts happen and we are forced to log out, we can't continue at the village that was thriving. So it's a constant state of starting over. I miss being able to be reborn in a village I worked on and seeing it. I know it's not easy finding balance, but repair should be possible and decay should be slow in active villages. I would like if eves could spawn near 'abandoned' villages to attempt to rebuild. Coming to it ruined is fine if it can be repaired. Bringing back an old civilization sounds like so much fun!

Yes. I had this to say over on the suggestions subreddit a couple of weeks ago: "[W]hat if items only decayed when they haven't been interacted with? As soon as an item is set down, its decay timer starts. When it's picked up next, its timer resets. This would allow for the natural decay of lost settlements while limiting the amount of stuff that just crumbles while you're holding it. If one minute = one year, let's at least assume that I'm maintaining my axe while I'm out in the field for a year chopping down trees."

#10 2018-04-23 03:31:54

NyanRose

Go! Bwah! wrote:
NyanRose wrote:

Give people a "maintenance field" so that every time they walk by an item, its decay is reversed by a small amount...

I like this ^^ It makes sense that what is being used would be maintained. But things abandoned and left alone would rot.

#11 2018-04-23 03:46:46

KucheKlizma

NyanRose wrote:
Go! Bwah! wrote:
NyanRose wrote:

I like this ^^ It makes sense that what is being used would be maintained. But things abandoned and left alone would rot.

It should be the opposite. Constant use would result in wear and tear, whereas proper storage (especially inside a structure) should stall it.
You can't really "maintain wood" it rots eventually if left exposed or used.

#12 2018-04-23 04:10:56

NyanRose

KucheKlizma wrote:
NyanRose wrote:
Go! Bwah! wrote:

It should be the opposite. Constant use would result in wear and tear, whereas proper storage (especially inside a structure) should stall it.
You can't really "maintain wood" it rots eventually if left exposed or used.

except as you use things, you repair them when it comes to buildings. Tools would eventually wear, yes. It gives more incentive to move to metal tools which can last for a very, very long time, beyond the primitive stone ones. It could get a 'worn' state you can repair with materials. Stone or adobe can last a very long time, something in it starts to wear down you repair it. You don't just sit there as everything around you falls apart.

The 'maintenance field' would represent the people keeping their things in good shape to use. Honestly I think there should be more incentive to protect what's yours. Heck, you could even take an old rusty knife or shears and restore them if you want. Why can't we do that?

Last edited by NyanRose (2018-04-23 04:11:25)

#13 2018-04-23 04:51:50

kubassa
Banned

PEOPLE DO NOT WANT TO FORGE 10 SHOVELS IN THEIR LIFETIME IT IS STUPID OR MAKE 100000000000 BASKETS FOR THEIR LIFETIME.

Last edited by kubassa (2018-04-23 05:34:38)

I got huge ballz.

#14 2018-04-23 05:59:07

YAHG

I think the decay is good, there are somethings that he forgot to add decay to and there are
somethings with silly decay timers. Broken baskets don't need to last an hour lol. That is just dumb.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#15 2018-04-23 06:40:39

Lily

Also some people were saying a lot of the items wouldn't go into the trash pit. Well if you have a trash pit and nothing that breaks can be repaired, they all should be able to go into it.

#16 2018-04-23 11:42:59

lostlandofcarrots

denriguez wrote:
NyanRose wrote:

Yes. I had this to say over on the suggestions subreddit a couple of weeks ago: "[W]hat if items only decayed when they haven't been interacted with? As soon as an item is set down, its decay timer starts. When it's picked up next, its timer resets. This would allow for the natural decay of lost settlements while limiting the amount of stuff that just crumbles while you're holding it. If one minute = one year, let's at least assume that I'm maintaining my axe while I'm out in the field for a year chopping down trees."

Pretty much what I was thinking of when I imagined decay as a mechanic. Naturally along with the ability to repair and/or trash broken things. The concept was that you could discover lost settlements and bring them back to their former glory, not that your village rots from under you as you work.

#17 2018-04-23 15:04:09

fragilityh14

here's something to think about that was a problem in the first place:

This game goes straight from stone to steal.

I once watched a documentary about the Bronze Age. In it, the person made a bronze ax and started chopping something. The bronze ax head only lasted about 10 hits.

However, they're very easy to remelt. At the time, ax heads were widely used as currency, because it was a store of a precious metal, was useful, and people had the need to own multiple ax heads.

By switching from steel to bronze tools it can be made so that they break quickly but you only need to touch the axhead to a firing forge to fix them. It could be easy to reattach but the shaft has a separate decay.

In general, the decay item is super necessary, and i think i'm far more into struggling to survive compared to building a huge civilization, so Jason's vision is working for me better than some of the other people here lol.

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#18 2018-04-23 15:33:45

KucheKlizma

What we have ingame atm is closer to uranium to anything else (definitely no similarity to steel lmao). Uranium can reach melting point in a clay forge I think (maybe?). Radioactive decay also explains why it seems to evaporate.

Last edited by KucheKlizma (2018-04-23 15:34:20)

#19 2018-08-03 15:06:44

Neo

BarbaraMontoya wrote:

I would be so happy to receive the job of my dream! I want to do it and I will do it! You know with such resume as I have even looser will receive a job. Everything because I bought my resume at online service . There the team of professionals will do it for you.

So now spammers are necroposting, Nice. I'm sorry but I don't think anyone's hiring you for any legitimate job in the foreseeable future.

Unless spamming is your dream job of course.

Last edited by Neo (2018-08-03 15:08:24)

Board footer