One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-22 14:23:52

Brandon

What is going on here?

I fell in love with this game right away. OHOL is an astounding microcosm of real life, where your whole existence is short and difficult, but through serious effort you can build a better future for the next generation. I only came across two killers during my time playing, and almost everyone else was teaming up in a cohesive way that you rarely, if ever, see in a videogame. I loved living each life seeing how much of a positive impact I could make on the town I was in, and the surprisingly touching relationships I built with my mom and children were what made it all worth it.

This was all before the update. I understand this is a game that is still in development, and there will be amazing updates, as well as ones that are not so great... But this has almost been completely game breaking. All the towns are gone, all cohesion between mothers and their children are gone, there is no chance of building for the future since it all decays without repair, so what are we playing for....? I was sold this game on the promise of a chance to build up a civilization through days of hard work and countless generations, but the game has been reduced to a never ending Eve cycle.

Decay isn't a bad idea, but this implementation has not been effective. A quick look through the forums will show that there is an overwhelming rejection of this update, so why has it not been rolled back? Why is Jason radio silent? I understand that he does not work on the weekends, but this is literally destroying his creation. All I suggest is that the decay update is rolled back for the time being until it can be tested and implemented in a way that wont completely destroy all current attempts at civilization, like this one has.

#2 2018-04-22 14:25:56

Potjeh

Re: What is going on here?

It's not the decay, it's the fact that you randomly die from lost connection every single life.

#3 2018-04-22 14:28:26

Brandon

The connection issue is definitely a problem as well, but I would suggest that it compounds the one posed by decay. For example, if you lost connection last week, it wouldn't (most likely) destroy the entire town you were in.

#4 2018-04-22 14:49:47

breezeknight

i don't dislike the decay,
it just needs to be a little toned down & the remains need to be kindling & maybe even tinder, so of some use & not cluttering uselessly the space

i hope the connection lost issue will be resolved soon

#5 2018-04-23 03:33:12

kubassa
Banned

Brandon wrote:

I fell in love with this game right away. OHOL is an astounding microcosm of real life, where your whole existence is short and difficult, but through serious effort you can build a better future for the next generation. I only came across two killers during my time playing, and almost everyone else was teaming up in a cohesive way that you rarely, if ever, see in a videogame. I loved living each life seeing how much of a positive impact I could make on the town I was in, and the surprisingly touching relationships I built with my mom and children were what made it all worth it.

This was all before the update. I understand this is a game that is still in development, and there will be amazing updates, as well as ones that are not so great... But this has almost been completely game breaking. All the towns are gone, all cohesion between mothers and their children are gone, there is no chance of building for the future since it all decays without repair, so what are we playing for....? I was sold this game on the promise of a chance to build up a civilization through days of hard work and countless generations, but the game has been reduced to a never ending Eve cycle.

Decay isn't a bad idea, but this implementation has not been effective. A quick look through the forums will show that there is an overwhelming rejection of this update, so why has it not been rolled back? Why is Jason radio silent? I understand that he does not work on the weekends, but this is literally destroying his creation. All I suggest is that the decay update is rolled back for the time being until it can be tested and implemented in a way that wont completely destroy all current attempts at civilization, like this one has.

I agree it ruins the game play and longevity of playing. I craft an axe so I don't have to craft one every time I log into the game.

As for not rolling it back.... "Developer Pride". Many big game studios do it too. Look at The Division. Listened to the wrong people and millions stopped playing in the first month after the first few updates and it never recovered.

It was FUN adding onto the existing village you may have been a part of creating over many spawns but now you have to make the starter farm every life. BORING. I'll maybe try the game again next update but if decay exists I will not even bother.

Last edited by kubassa (2018-04-23 03:34:01)

I got huge ballz.

#6 2018-04-23 04:24:08

Obi

What made this game great for me was the fact that you tried to build something to make life easier for you and your descendants, to be able to afford a new player in town as your child and have the luxury of food and time to teach him/her the ways of the world, to be able to leave this world bringing a smile on a child while you equip it your gear and tell it how to continue your work, the joy of coming back to one of your villages and see it prosper and even find the traces of your contribution from your past life effords ease the workload of your family and villagers!

The game at its current state is just tedious and sad, having to remake the nesecary tools again and again while clutering everything around you with junk and having no time to catch a breath in between... all i could say to my child that didnt know how to play was "plz read online how to play for i dont have time to teach you!" Is this what one should expect upon getting a new child? to be knowlegable enough to not be a burden and a food strain? How is this behavior good for new players seeking for a new game experience?

Beware the beast Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him; drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death
The Lawgiver as spoken by Cornelius in Planet of the Apes

#7 2018-04-23 04:33:44

Lily

While Jason does want things hard, and isn't likely to remove decay, he has always been willing to tweak things. I suspect he will eventually tweak the decay a bit, so it isn't so bad.

#8 2018-04-23 04:48:55

jdniff

This game is pretty much dead, the amount of users total on the servers at any given time has gone below 100. Most long time players have upright refused to play at all and constantly give bad reviews on this update. Jason refuses to acknowledge his consumers wants and continues to do what he envisions in his game. If Jason was making a game for his personal consumption and use, then I wouldn't care what he did, however, I and several other people payed in cash in order to enjoy his creation that he gave out for consumer use. If his goal is to sell and create a market for his game, this update has ruined that and his refusal to fix it will only kill his game. Perhaps Jason's goal wasn't to create a game that people can enjoy, but to create the game he envisioned, if that is the case then we are all pretty much fools for buying into it.

My suggestion is to find competent programmers and game makers that are willing to create a nock-off product of one hour one life that will give the consumer what they asked for.

#9 2018-04-23 05:50:29

Verinon1

Join 2HOL. Totally fixes all the problems with the game.

#10 2018-04-23 06:06:15

YAHG

As someone who would work the forges and sew the clothes I like the decay. It sucks when
you have already made all the tools and the only thing left is to farm until the population gets
so high you run out of water/cant build wells fast enough.

The Tools last a WHILE unless you go crazy with them, yeah some ability to recycle parts of
broken stuff for kindling or scrap metal would be nice too. It would be just LOVELY to be
able to plant saplings <3.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

Board footer