One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-09-22 12:11:51

Spoonwood

Cactus Fruits and Banana Cravings (Mushrooms are Worse)

So, for anyone who doesn't know, Eves can crave cactus fruits and bananas.  I don't remember my race when I saw that, but I've sure as heck have seen it.

Does anyone consider it reasonable to acquire these if say one is a White Eve or Ginger Eve?

If not, what are the relevant issues here?

How often is it reasonable to try to get cravings for food or ingredients for food like salt water that only certain races can initially move around?

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#2 2020-09-22 13:01:40

Arcurus

Re: Cactus Fruits and Banana Cravings (Mushrooms are Worse)

I think its fine to crave it, but not in the first X generations. An early Eve town has no resources to travel that far. The issue is / was already on Github.

#3 2020-09-22 14:01:32

bpskotch

I wouldn't necessarily say it's "reasonable" to acquire these items as an eve, or in an eve camp, but to my knowledge a craving does not hurt the player in any way, and they can continue to yum like normal. Additionally, as generations pass with the craving unfulfilled, it will get stronger, and as a result will provide later benefit once contact is established with other towns. So I would say, it's reasonable to get cravings every few gens perhaps, but certainly not always in one life, or multiple in one life for that matter.

Edit: I would say that a player shouldn't expect themselves to be able to get a craving fulfilled, but rather treat it as a bonus if you happen to get it. Although, I could picture cravings being more critical as food values go down in late gens.

Last edited by bpskotch (2020-09-22 14:03:16)

#4 2020-09-22 14:28:22

Arcurus

With the cravings its little bit not a nice feeling to get an craving in an Eve town for something where you have nearly no chance in fulfilling it.

logically such more exotic cravings should come later. In the beginning the cravings should be quite basic stuff at least it was designed like that and would make sense like that. its just that it was implemented by simply sorting after which food has less tasks to do it. Which does not consider biome locks, or 1 hour grow time for mushrooms or rarity of wild garlic. If these are fixed for early genes, then cravings should be quite as intendet.

If cravings would work for early towns, we could replace the generational food need (which is quite unlogic and unintuitive) and by default start with lower raw food values, especially berries. As cravings then evole naturally these basic stuff would be less worth which forces to evolve.

Of course to balance this i would suggest then to give hunted stuff more food portions to eat. Its not logic, that few berries are as good as a rabbit or even an egg.

#5 2020-09-22 18:01:56

Spoonwood

bpskotch wrote:

I would say that a player shouldn't expect themselves to be able to get a craving fulfilled, but rather treat it as a bonus if you happen to get it. Although, I could picture cravings being more critical as food values go down in late gens.

It's a one hour game.  If you won't or can't fulfill something that the game apparently signifies as important in that time frame, because such is rather unreasonable, or because it's impossible due to the design of the game (mushrooms in some situations), I think you're not getting the full experience... granted that you can survive to that point, which of course, isn't a given.  Not satisfying every craving is one thing.  Not being able to satisfy a single craving is another.  In a way it might get compared to someone whispering in your ear that you'll enjoy the soup of the soup nazi, but the soup nazi says 'no soup for you!'.  Perhaps I've dated myself by referencing the soup nazi, but I digress.

I would guess that generational food decline isn't intuitive for new players, and people get confused as to why a berry is say 3 pips in one life and 1 pip in a later life.  I think Arcurus's idea about cravings working for early towns on the right track.  More wild food types could go towards that.  Also, is shucked corn or a (domestic) carrot or any planted crop possible to get craved as an Eve other than a gooseberry?  I'm not sure having some planted crops craved early on would be unsuitable, because some crops are reasonable for anyone to grow as an Eve or an Eve camp.  New players might even use such crops as a hint on what to plant, getting more ideas about what to plant than berry bushes with their 12 minute start up time to grow to maturity.

Danish Clinch.

#6 2020-09-22 18:36:26

Arcurus

Spoonwood wrote:

I would guess that generational food decline isn't intuitive for new players, and people get confused as to why a berry is say 3 pips in one life and 1 pip in a later life.  I think Arcurus's idea about cravings working for early towns on the right track.  More wild food types could go towards that.  Also, is shucked corn or a (domestic) carrot or any planted crop possible to get craved as an Eve other than a gooseberry?  I'm not sure having some planted crops craved early on would be unsuitable, because some crops are reasonable for anyone to grow as an Eve or an Eve camp.  New players might even use such crops as a hint on what to plant, getting more ideas about what to plant than berry bushes with their 12 minute start up time to grow to maturity.

as far as i understand cravings, they go simply with the steps in the tech tree. so if more steps are needed to make them, then the carving comes later.

thx to beeing black i could fulfill my catus craving in last life and some brought some bananas so actually this life craving worked. They could work even better but they worked at least.

Last edited by Arcurus (2020-09-22 18:37:40)

#7 2020-09-22 20:21:21

Spoonwood

Arcurus wrote:

as far as i understand cravings, they go simply with the steps in the tech tree. so if more steps are needed to make them, then the carving comes later.

To review, even if time wasn't a factor, and they grew instantly, mushroom requires a basket, which is low-level technology or the higher technology of a backpack.  Onions, berries, cactus fruits, and bananas don't require any technology.  Burdock and wild carrot require the technology of a sharp stone.  Eves crave all of those.  I think also I've gotten omelette and cooked rabbit as an Eve as cravings.  Both of those come as a technological level above that of a basket in my opinion, because the number of steps and complexity in making fire and then letting it die out is much larger if doing everything from scratch.  I think we'd have to see the entire list of cravings for generations if always satisfied though to evaluate this thoroughly here.

I know for sure that I've seen mushroom as the first food craved as an Eve, and it's definitely not always an onion, berry, cactus fruit, or banana.

Also, I don't think this game has a tech tree that always orders pairs of technologies on that tech tree with respect to food.  Tech trees have ordering of pairs of elements in many, if not all, places of the tree.  Which has precedence in the food tech tree, bean burritos, or berry rabbit carrot pies?  Which has precedence: turkey or bread (the use of a bow and arrow is needed to make bread from scratch)?  I don't think questions like that have answers.  This also isn't a criticism.  I don't think the game needs a tech tree for everything in it.  It's just that idea and its corresponding, which so far as I know originated in the civilization board game, doesn't apply to OHOL as a whole.

Danish Clinch.

#8 2020-09-23 01:53:47

Villas

I fine it ok but would be better if those biome foods were restricted to gen 5 or above, but since we get a lot of food when eating as low generation, it doesn't affect the gameplay that much. I take it like, early camps have too much to do, so craving isn't a priority while advanced towns can afford paying high for exotic food that they crave.

#9 2020-09-23 03:25:36

Guy

Actually I'd argue it's a good thing in the long run because future generations will get a huge boost fulfilling the craving. Bananas especially since it's alot easier to obtain in mass.

Board footer