a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-09-12 04:57:52

Cogito

The Delivery Truck

https://edge.onetech.info/4658-Delivery … justFueled

What an interesting concept!

First, functionality.

The delivery truck is a fueled vehicle that can hold 21 large items. For reference, a horse or hand cart with tires holds 8 large items.

It takes one use of kerosene, and remains fueled for an entire hour. The crude car takes 4 large items and remains fueled for 10 minutes.

This is a big step up from other options, and is understandably more expensive to make.

So, how hard it is to make?

It requires a diesel engine (as to be expected!) and everything else is fairly achievable.

The basic steps are:

1. Make a Diesel Engine (requires rubber, locked behind the Jungle Biome. Also required for Rubber Tires later on)

2. Make a Truck Chassis by combining a Steel Beam with 4 Steel Wheels with Tires

3. Make 3 Buckets of Paint, one white, one red (requires cinnabar, locked behind Desert Biome), one black

4. Make a Stack of Sheet Metal and a Big Stack of Boards

5. Assemble!

1. Place the engine onto the truck chassis to make a Diesel Truck Chassis

2. Paint the metal sheets red and put them on the Diesel Truck Chassis to make a Truck Cab

3. Put the Big Stack of Boards on the Truck Cab to make a Bare Wood Truck

4. Paint the truck white

5. Use the black paint to on the truck to add the delivery signage

6. Fuel her up (requires Kerosene, locked behind Arctic Biome)

I think it's going to be very useful!

Last edited by Cogito (2020-09-12 05:01:25)

#2 2020-09-12 06:41:16

fug

Re: The Delivery Truck

It exists in a state where it's unusable to 90% of players with the ability to do incredible amounts of damage to a village when a troll gets control of it.

We don't currently need to move that many resources between here or there. It'll likely fall into uselessness like cars/planes.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#3 2020-09-12 08:13:59

mrbah

the village leader can just lock it up when not used, i guess

#4 2020-09-12 08:23:44

Cogito

Incredible amounts of damage = put things in it and drive away? Does that mean a horse cart with rubber tires is capable of doing ~1/3 incredible amounts of damage?

The most immediately obvious use of the Delivery Truck for me is building fast flat rock roads. Constructing those roads is dominated by collecting the flat rocks, the truck will make that job much faster.

I also think it will be useful for collecting and delivering produce from a sprinkler farm. Load all the vegies into baskets (made from threshed what sheaves) and load those into the truck. One trip to clear 63 veggies back to the kitchen is very attractive, compared to 3 trips with a hand cart with tires, or 7 with a normal hand cart.

Getting branches to make pens, adobe  and cut stones for buildings, trading resources between towns. There are lots of constructive uses.

Thankfully for now they can't be destroyed, and they aren't trivial to make, so I don't think they're going to be as abused as some might imagine. The worst that will happen is the truck gets stolen, filled with important resources.

I hope we see lots of trucks running around, and more tech like it.

#5 2020-09-12 08:26:36

mrbah

I can hear the truck, but I think it turned invisible...

or maybe the sound just remained in one spot eternally...
found the truck, it's safe in a town.

I like the appeal of storing a bunch of biome specific items and hauling them to the other cities.

Last edited by mrbah (2020-09-12 08:39:14)

#6 2020-09-12 13:51:01

Rookwood

People who think this won't be useful are crazy, but then again, sprinklers and plows are useful and we see how often that is used so they may have a point.

The biggest thing with griefers will be someone snatching your truck while you hop out to unload it/work.  All unloading will need to be done behind property fence now, and it makes zoom mod even more important for elite players.  We need to expand those leader pens a lot.

A key system could be an interesting solution to the griefer problem.  Needing a "truck key" to use the truck would solve a lot of the potential problems griefers could raise with this thing, but ultimately, griefers gone grief.

#7 2020-09-12 14:40:10

Spoonwood

Cogito wrote:

Thankfully for now they can't be destroyed, and they aren't trivial to make, so I don't think they're going to be as abused as some might imagine. The worst that will happen is the truck gets stolen, filled with important resources.

*laughs* Don't be naive.  Sure, it might be useful.  But, will it get abused?  Yep.  And exactly will be the consequence for someone moving massive amounts of stuff out of town?

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#8 2020-09-12 16:00:46

JonySky
Website

It seems to me that in this forum they move the skein of wool a little and you forget everything like cats

What good is a delivery truck currently in OHOL ??? it is exactly the same as the car! it is content that the game does not need !!!

Do you see logical having a delivery truck and cooking in a fireplace?
don't you see that this has become nonsense?

the game needs new challenges, not a delivery truck!

Have you not seen the new update of 2 hours one life where they have implemented rivers and bridges? that does make sense in this game and not a truck!

How many planes or cars were created on the server during a week, or a month? why don't we learn from our mistakes? ahhh now I remembered why the rift was implemented for so long!

Last edited by JonySky (2020-09-12 16:00:54)

#9 2020-09-12 16:09:39

Arcurus

JonySky wrote:

Have you not seen the new update of 2 hours one life where they have implemented rivers and bridges? that does make sense in this game and not a truck!

rivers and bridges that would be nice....

#10 2020-09-12 16:19:12

Rookwood

>it is exactly the same as the car!

The delivery truck is way better than the car in every single way.  That's the point.

#11 2020-09-12 17:18:00

gamatron332

Cogito wrote:

I also think it will be useful for collecting and delivering produce from a sprinkler farm. Load all the vegies into baskets (made from threshed what sheaves) and load those into the truck. One trip to clear 63 veggies back to the kitchen is very attractive, compared to 3 trips with a hand cart with tires, or 7 with a normal hand cart.

I hope we see lots of trucks running around, and more tech like it.

I like the way you think my friend... question is this being added or is it just an idea?

I’m Gama I flaunt my ideas, and I’m fabulous
But I’ve allready said too much.

#12 2020-09-12 17:19:40

gamatron332

Wait dumb it’s getting added... I will be the milk man

#13 2020-09-12 17:29:06

gamatron332

I also see many many many uses for the sheet metal. Like armor! (Ahem no) or maybe metal pail? This could lead into mass smelting? For example you need to take the metal out of the steel pail which is harvested from a industrial smelter? So many possibilities

#14 2020-09-12 18:13:59

Erudaru

Rookwood wrote:

The biggest thing with griefers will be someone snatching your truck while you hop out to unload it/work.  All unloading will need to be done behind property fence now, and it makes zoom mod even more important for elite players.  We need to expand those leader pens a lot.

This was my first thought. But I think a second property fence will be needed for unloading, near the kitchen or center of town, where the driver can unload the truck in peace, to then open the gate and let people take the stuff out... the main property fence would be used for storing the truck.

#15 2020-09-12 19:26:40

Matbat

At first I thought this was a suggestion, because of the need for it and how I had also wanted this too, but then I saw the edge page.
I'm pretty sure Jason was playing with us some while he was on vacation, there were lots of delivery people having to constantly scavenge dead towns and at least one person said something along the lines of delivery truck that holds 24 items in hetuw chat.

This will definitely help all the pony express delivery men, now we don't have to spend multiple lives riding a horse or 4 tanks of kerosene flying sprinkler parts from a dead town thousands of km away. Funnily enough delivery truck isn't as expensive as a plane (24 sheep food and two hours of hard work) but its so much better.
it only costs 9 more steel (and a few buckets of paint) than a car, though in some way the engine should be recoverable or else I think we'll be seeing a lot of skeleton chasis' with an engine slapped on and nothing else because its too much work to finish.

Last edited by Matbat (2020-09-12 19:29:42)

Board footer