One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-09-12 04:38:05

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Update: Trucking

nmMytbb.png

What started as a couple weeks of much-needed vacation turned into a long-term refuge away from the state of California, as wildfire smoke made our already-hobbled city almost unlivable.  We're back home now, but the smoke came back with a vengeance right around the time that we did.  This coming Monday, California---and much to the west coast---will have been burning for four straight weeks.  Given that this is just the beginning of fire season, there's no end in sight.

So, I'm hunkered down here at home, with all the windows shut, and the HEPA filter running full blast, working on One Hour One Life.  We can't go outside to get exercise, because the particulate count is so high.  We're somewhat safe indoors, but with five people breathing away in a small, sealed house, our CO2 level has peaked above 3700 ppm.  Yeah, that's "cognitive decline" levels of CO2.  Please forgive any typos.

And so, with all that context, I bring you delivery trucks, which is something that I've been joking about in relation to One Hour One Life since the very beginning (from rocks and sticks... all the way up to delivery trucks!)

Not only can they hold a lot, but I've also been rethinking vehicle fueling, and these new trucks will last an entire lifetime (hour) on just one fill-up.  That means that if you find an abandoned truck, you'll probably need some diesel to get it running, but if you're actively using it, you will be able to depend on it as long as you need it.  This change in thinking may eventually trickle down to make the Crude Car more useful as well.

But besides updating OHOL this week (finally), and generally running from the smoke, what else have I been doing over the past two months?  I've been working on a vacation project, which is live now:

http://projectdecember.net

This is the first publicly available interface that allows you to converse directly with the world's most advanced artificial intelligence.  Over the past nine months, AI has become so good that it has gotten spooky.  However, since it requires a full-time super computer to run it, it's pretty much out of reach for the average person.  I've figured out a way to make talking to it affordable (just $5 to get started, as we collectively share the costs of the underlying supercomputer).

When you're talking to it, the sense of an intelligent presence is palpable.  I never expected this to happen in my lifetime, but it's here, now.  And it's really, really weird.

This week's VOG Shot features Malin Snow and her daughter Ida traveling along the very long road:

5FLO798.png

#2 2020-09-12 08:22:32

Morti

Re: Update: Trucking

5FLO798.png

traveling along the very long road

;.)

#3 2020-09-12 09:10:29

mrbah

I really like this.

I wish individual places had a bit more unique Ressources to obtain to facilitate propper trade or logistics.

If your city is near a bunch of rabbit holes, it's probably better for the other towns to search for their own rabbit holes and trap them, rather than gathing bananas and whatnot and trade you those bananas for rabbits.

#4 2020-09-12 10:05:49

Twisted

First of all, I hope you're staying as safe as you can.

Secondly, I love the truck! I can see it being very useful, especially since one kero keeps it going for an hour.

Have you thought about making cars/trucks work like plows/sprinklers? I.e. fuel them once and they get 24 charges that each last two minutes or whatever, that way you could use the fuel only when you need it instead of it lasting for a flat hour from refueling.

#5 2020-09-12 11:47:10

Twisted

Also I really like the new +slotsInvis tag, it could be used for more awesome storage options. Better backpacks with more slots are now possible since you don't actually have to show the items any more.

#6 2020-09-12 13:35:53

jinbaili83

Nice update. I was starting to lose hope there will be one this weekend.
I'd like to see updated truck that can move cows or horses, walking them on a rope to other towns takes too long.

#7 2020-09-12 13:44:38

Villas

Twisted wrote:

First of all, I hope you're staying as safe as you can.

Secondly, I love the truck! I can see it being very useful, especially since one kero keeps it going for an hour.

Have you thought about making cars/trucks work like plows/sprinklers? I.e. fuel them once and they get 24 charges that each last two minutes or whatever, that way you could use the fuel only when you need it instead of it lasting for a flat hour from refueling.

Perfect. That would give us the need of refueling eventually (if we didn't get full tank) and give us the fuel level, what is realistic. 48 minutes is enough since we can only drive it at age 16. Imo even 30 minutes would be cool for a single kerosene use.

That will be awesome to loot dead towns.

Alas we can't transport people yet, but I think we are getting closer to this.

#8 2020-09-15 12:53:29

gamatron332

Thanks Jason for still putting out an update even though you have all this news going on. Stay Safe!!

I’m Gama I flaunt my ideas, and I’m fabulous
But I’ve allready said too much.

Board footer