One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-09-11 21:49:41

gamatron332

The Work Table!

In the course of this game one thing has remained for too long as the most advanced way of accomplishing certain task. that is the multipurpose Newcomen. This is an enormous resource sink in that it takes a bucket of water to run ONCE. One time. Uno. That’s 1/24 of a kerosine bottle! It’s absurd. So may I present to you the WORK TABLE!!

(Imaginary picture of awesome machine)

The work table is a table with a slot cut in the center and a engine on it. The work table will work just like a Newcomen but it will use 1/144 kero bottle per run (that’s 24 uses per kero bottle pip) it is started by a pull string ( a timing belt that’s cut into a straight line) and runs for 30 seconds.

Crafting goes like so. Take a table and use an axe on it. This creates partial work table. Add a engine. This creates work table. You can use everything that a Newcomen can use on it ( without the pulley systems) The parts are interchangeable at all times. To take apart it must be unfueled, use an adze to create a loose work table for one second in which you can remove the engine. To rebuild into a table you must use the bow saw on the partial work table to turn it into table parts.

Tada
- Gama

Last edited by gamatron332 (2020-09-11 21:53:46)

I’m Gama I flaunt my ideas, and I’m fabulous
But I’ve allready said too much.

#2 2020-09-12 02:47:16

Cogito

Re: The Work Table!

I think this makes a lot of sense, and would make fabrication a lot faster.

I'd even go so far as to say it may negate the negatives of being able to smash engines so easily.

It would make late-game technology much more accessible (extra engines, sprinklers) but that is probably a good thing.

#3 2020-09-12 09:32:41

Arcurus

sounds interesting.

Maybe report it as a bug in github that multipurpose Newcomen is such a big water sink and add your worktable suggestion then as possible solution.

Otherwise Jason may not see it...

#4 2020-09-12 15:58:16

Kinrany

I mean, if the Newcomen is consuming too much water, the obvious solution is to make it consume less, not add a whole separate recipe that does the same thing but cheaper.

#5 2020-09-12 17:11:21

gamatron332

Cogito wrote:

I think this makes a lot of sense, and would make fabrication a lot faster.

I'd even go so far as to say it may negate the negatives of being able to smash engines so easily.

It would make late-game technology much more accessible (extra engines, sprinklers) but that is probably a good thing.

That is the entire point! The Newcomen is used to  make your first engine, that first engine is either used for water or a work table to make late game items easier. If the first one is not used for work table then the second one. The entire idea is to get past the resource sink (Newcomen) and get to the better option (6 times better mind you) this would also make moving into sprinkler tech far easier

#6 2020-09-12 17:12:30

gamatron332

Kinrany wrote:

I mean, if the Newcomen is consuming too much water, the obvious solution is to make it consume less, not add a whole separate recipe that does the same thing but cheaper.

I’m trying to view the Newcomen as an intermittent tech. Today we use engines instead of a big steam turbine because there better in nearly every way

Board footer