One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-09-03 23:55:11

Morti

Friends, Family, Lend Me Your Views

For the last few weeks, I have been streaming my playthroughs of the game, on Twitch.
Yesterday, I had, a life, that I would like you all to witness.

In it, you will see me at my worst, and, if you can stomach the medicine, one of the better lives, I have lived, thusfar.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/729357246?t=01h02m00s
The life takes place in the second hour of the video.
If you don't have an hour, the first half hour of the life is pretty critical if you are to understand the, unspoken epiphany that occurs at One Hour And Thirty Two Minutes.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/729357246?t=01h32m00s

Times; 1:02:12 - 2:02:41

Please forgive me for the first half hour of that life.

Please try to, imagine, what was going through my head, in the last half hour.

If you only ever watch one life of my, right now, I would say make it this one.

Thank you.

http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=6519802
Please, help me find peace.

#2 2020-09-04 02:16:31

Morti

Re: Friends, Family, Lend Me Your Views

A clip from later in the video: https://clips.twitch.tv/HeartlessPrettyDiscPrimeMe

A more practical epiphany; take out two shovels when digging up big hard rocks for cut stone or blocks, then combine the two broken tools together for a piece of scrap metal that you CAN put in your backpack.
2+2=1, makes perfect sense.

#3 2020-09-04 02:55:47

Morti

Morti wrote:

2+2=1, makes perfect sense.

Combining two broken tools should give kindling and scrap metal, either;
Broken Steel Tool + Broken Steel Tool = Pile of Scrap Wood and Steel, then, reaching into it, you pull out Kindling Pile (the wooden handles) until a Scrap Steel Pile remains equal to the number of tools you threw in.

Maybe too complicated, visually? Either it could be it's own pile, or;
Broken Steel Tool + Broken Steel Tool = Kindling + Clump of Scrap Steel?
Reach into the Kindling + Clump of Scrap Steel and you pull out either Kindling or Clump of Scrap Steel, leaving the other behind?

Links for usage:
Kindling
Kindling Pile
Broken Steel Tool
Broken Steel Tool, no wood
Clump of Scrap Steel
Scrap Steel Pile
Short Shaft
Stakes

#4 2020-09-04 13:26:03

Villas

Sure! I have the bad behavior of putting a YouTube video on my monitor while chat with friends on my cellphone before sleeping, I love watching Twisted, and his videos fit perfectly in my pre sleepimg time when they were 1 hour long and I'm sure I'll like your vids as well. It might take two nights to watch the full 2 hours, but I'll certainly do it.

#5 2020-09-04 17:07:22

Morti

Villas wrote:

Sure! I have the bad behavior of putting a YouTube video on my monitor while chat with friends on my cellphone before sleeping, I love watching Twisted, and his videos fit perfectly in my pre sleepimg time when they were 1 hour long and I'm sure I'll like your vids as well. It might take two nights to watch the full 2 hours, but I'll certainly do it.

This is not the kind of "view" that I meant in the title.
Or at least, not the one of the two in the, double entendre, that I was leaning towards.
What I want is your point of view on the matters that occurs in that life and that life in particular.

If you only have one hour a day to spare, perhaps watching, or even playing, video games, is not what you should be spending it doing. Then again, you would know, as I am sure you spend the other 23 wisely. At least, more wisely than I.

#6 2020-09-04 22:43:45

Villas

Morti wrote:

This is not the kind of "view" that I meant in the title.
Or at least, not the one of the two in the, double entendre, that I was leaning towards.
What I want is your point of view on the matters that occurs in that life and that life in particular.

If you only have one hour a day to spare, perhaps watching, or even playing, video games, is not what you should be spending it doing. Then again, you would know, as I am sure you spend the other 23 wisely. At least, more wisely than I.

Haha I usually do more than one thing at once, listen music while work, watch YouTube while play, I know it is not that optimal but I only doing nome thing at once when I am sleeping or I can't do anything else. Although the last hour of my day is the hour that I most pay attention to my monitor (watching a movie, series or youtube) until I sleep, and I do some stuff on cellphone too unless the thing I'm watching is too interesting or requires a lot of visual attention, I know it's not the best thing to do before sleeping, but that's the way I do. But it seems to be a very interesting life, so I will watch that life today, it's after 1:02:00, right?

P.S: I don't think I'm spending my hours wisely though haha the only thing I do is work (programmer), eat, have some digital e entertainment and sleep, principally after quarantine.

#7 2020-09-05 03:17:07

Morti

Villas wrote:

the only thing I do is work (programmer)

What sorts of programming work do you do, if you don't mind my asking?
Do you have a portfolio; a webpage you use to show off the history of your works?
I tend to find most programmers, coders & game designers have something like that, otherwise they work so much, and are so inspiring, their fans make that sort of thing for them.

This will take you to that life, if you haven't already watched it.

#8 2020-09-05 17:27:48

Villas

fuck I spent like 30 minutes writing a reply and I just closed the browser accidentally

#9 2020-09-05 18:09:09

Villas

Morti wrote:

For the last few weeks, I have been streaming my playthroughs of the game, on Twitch.
Yesterday, I had, a life, that I would like you all to witness.

In it, you will see me at my worst, and, if you can stomach the medicine, one of the better lives, I have lived, thusfar.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/729357246?t=01h02m00s
The life takes place in the second hour of the video.
If you don't have an hour, the first half hour of the life is pretty critical if you are to understand the, unspoken epiphany that occurs at One Hour And Thirty Two Minutes.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/729357246?t=01h32m00s

Times; 1:02:12 - 2:02:41

Please forgive me for the first half hour of that life.

Please try to, imagine, what was going through my head, in the last half hour.

If you only ever watch one life of my, right now, I would say make it this one.

Thank you.

http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=6519802
Please, help me find peace.

Oh man, I liked that life, because I can relate to it. When I lived with my father (IRL) he was very violent, selfish and unreasonable, and when I complained about it with mother and brother they said things like "Let it go", "Do what he wants so he leaves us in peace" and if I didn't do the unreasonable things he wanted, people acted like I was the troublemaker. I agree that talking is the way of solving things and I think letting it go will leave you in peace for now, but won't prevent the mistakes of happening again and again, worse and worse like it happened with my father, to the point I had to sleep with furniture pressuring my door and a knife on the side of my bed because I had fear for my life and for my family's life, even though they kept letting it go until no one could handle it anymore and we had to flee from home during the morning so he wouldn't see us and try to do something.

So, I think your mother did an unreasonable thing, that everyone reasonable person would clearly see, even though your mother thought she was right. Of course talking after the shit is done is easy, but I think you shouldn't make she feel like she is right, because then you just let it go and she still thinks she is right and will probably do it again, with no regrets whatsoever. I don't know what is the best course of action though, in theory it would be showing them their mistakes without challenging them, making them feel bad for what they did, without paying with the same coin. And it is hard as heck to do unless you have steel nerves. But I'm not mature neither have steel nerves, what I think I would do is gathering my last energies to keep me stable, try the max I can and nicely say:

"I"
"wasn't"
"AFK,"
"MOM."

If she didn't apologize and kept being rude and I was the leader, I would shit on the fan, exile her and use the order system as soon as possible saying:

"XXX doesn't know how to live in society, she's exiled."
"She does whatever she wants to others, to the same to her."

Probably not the most wise course of action, but I would let her mistake haunt her for the rest of her life. If anyone asked I would simply say "She cursed me when I was 1 year old and couldn't talk like an adult", when they asked her she would have to explain it and even she would realize how ridiculous it was. I would try not to be rude to her nor starting a conversation, so she wouldn't feel challenged. If she asked me or started being pissed, I would try to act superior and gently answer her:

"Mom, I still love you and I'm up to forgive you if you really regret cursing me when I was a newborn, I wasn't AFK mom, you know."

Even if she didn't apologized, I think those words would pierce her mind and make she thinks about it, even after the OHOL life was over and perhaps she wouldn't do that again.

In my opinion, punishment is needed for bad behaviors, not for revenge or to make people suffer, but to teach them that what they did was wrong. A important thing is to always make sure that the person doesn't feel challenged, even during punishment, otherwise they will lie to themselves and think they are right and if they admit they're wrong, they lose it. That's how I would behave If I was in a very good and serene day, as I said sometimes you need steel nerves to deal with some things, but we are humans and our feelings might speak louder.

I am very anxious and have problems sleeping when I let things go, even in-game, that's why I stopped playing for more than 6 months when a really annoying group of griefers was (were?) gathering on discord just to play together and annoy the most people they could. I really envy people like Twisted that can easily let things go without feeling bad, sometimes people are dicks to him on his videos and he just let the people be while I feel like "CUT HIS THROAT TWISTED!". Perhaps it's the best thing to do, since they are just a bunch of random people playing a game, better save the effort to change the people you love, even though I try.

--

About the buildings, I totally agree as well. I love building on this game, I would love to see better way of insulating buildings, new walls, floors, carpets (WOLF CARPET! Imagine making a huge carpet of wolf leather that covers the whole building).

#10 2020-09-05 18:47:40

Villas

Morti wrote:

What sorts of programming work do you do, if you don't mind my asking?
Do you have a portfolio; a webpage you use to show off the history of your works?
I tend to find most programmers, coders & game designers have something like that, otherwise they work so much, and are so inspiring, their fans make that sort of thing for them.

This will take you to that life, if you haven't already watched it.

I don't have a huge portfolio, I'm 23 and started working 3 years ago (I believe). Well, I know you didn't ask for the full story but I feel comfortable telling that to you and I don't mind other reading.
I was a bioprocess engineering student for 2 years when I realized that wasn't what I wanted, but I studied integral period (some days classes at 8 am, other days classes 9pm), lived at the university's campus and received money from the government to pay my bills, buy food and whatnot while I was studying there (public university, UFRJ - Brazil).  I knew I loved the programming classes and I used to make hacks for games and I was a teen, so I decided to study programming during my spare time, asked some friends for tips and after a few months could even work on some university student's projects while I was working on my first app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta … simulados2) it's not good and I've never updated it, even though people loved it because there was no app for that content. It was an app to help people study for a public contest (so they could join army with a higher rank), it simulated tests and I earned money selling books and with advertisement there, and after 2 months or so I started earning more money than the government was paying me, so I quit university and focused full time on studying/coding. Launched a lot of apps in 2018 for public contests, since Brazil has hundreds of public contests every year for people who wants to work for the government/army or join public universities, the most famous contest here is ENEM (10-30 million people do it every year, it is a 8-10 hours long test, the only way to join most of public universities, and here in Brazil, in general public universities are better than the privates one), ENEM was the test I did for joining university, and I studied for hundreds of hours, so I knew exactly what I needed on an app. My most used apps are:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta … s&hl=pt_BR
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta … a&hl=pt_BR

I was very happy and even hired a person to help me feeding the database and taking care of social media, but bad things happened late 2018 and I couldn't stand programming or even turning the PC on, because I remembered those things and felt depressed. That's when I procrastinated everything, the apps were still being used so I could sustain myself and pay my employee, but I stopped talking to friends and even to my employee. The only productive thing I was doing was studying English, that's when YouTube recommended me Twisted videos and I met OHOL, I could have fun and study english, since I love doing two things at once, the game was perfect. I commented about it with a friend of mine, let her play on my account and we enjoyed it a lot. That game helped me a lot, because I realized I don't need to be stuck to a thing, I can be whatever I want, I can wake up tomorrow and be a baker and that all that I lived before will help me tomorrow, even if I decide to be different. I tried to do different stuff in real life then, stock exchange, robotics and even thought about selling sandwiches on the beaches of Rio, a friend of mine was making huge bucks with that and it was kind of fun. But then I thought about a big project, an app that could encompass all the public contests and where people can, not only simulate tests, but study as well, with an algorithm taking track of what the people do in the app, where they have difficulties and where they are okay, to generate tests according to their stage of learning, even an algorithm that creates brand new questions. I've been working on this project since mid 2019, but jan/feb 2020 more shit happened in my life, I had to move, ended up firing my employee, then the pandemic started, I stopped visiting my few friends and the late 2018 feelings came back. Thankfully I could solve things mid 2020 and went back to work on my bigger project and I hope I can finish it until 2021 feb. While I was writing that, I read the reviews of my apps (What I haven't done for almost 2 years) and it was very heartwarming, now I'm thinking about giving them a 2020 update, since I don't do that since 2018.

That's basically it, I consider myself a mediocre programmer with good ideas and a lot of anxiety, I hope I can get better with the passage of time and any advice is welcome.

Board footer