One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2020-08-28 12:15:24

Arcurus

Re: Jason, an idea for community engagement.

Morti wrote:

Have a live stream on Twitch once a month and interact with your playerbase.
Talk to us like friends and we will be your friends.
Let us ask questions and interact with you, and address each other.

Conversely, you could come on Twitch and interact with players that stream the game.
Set up dates and times that you will come and engage with the community via various streamer's streams, people like Twisted, Wolvenscar, wondible, 2Laughor2Cry; people that have been streaming and playing the game for ages.

What do you think of that idea?

What do the rest of you think of that idea?

Once a week for an hour or two would be nice, but even if you did so once a month and scheduled times to stream yourself or to join people and announced when you would be in other people's chat in advance, it would be nice.

Please consider it. You'd be free to set ground rules and expectations ahead of time.
Or just go with the flow and let people know, as they engage with you, what your thoughts are regarding the past, present and future of the game.

that would be great!

#27 2020-08-28 17:08:01

Morti

Gogo wrote:

not wars as I wanted.

Why would anyone want more games about wars?

Aren't there enough simulated ways to murder, other life forms, including members of our own species, as is?

Where are the games about promoting life? The way we emerged 4 billion years ago? The way we can do it, to every world, orbiting ever star? Perhaps even the stars themselves.

Where are the love letters to life's very existence? To the transition, of a thousand gigatons ('teratons' is not yet a common word, but someday it will be, when we think, and act, bigger) of material, once not alive, and then, 100,000 years ago, living? Where are the lamentations for the over 400 gigatons of life the Earth has lost over the last 100,000 years, as humans have gnawed through the living trees that we once called home, that we have now fell to build and burn, as we transitioned from hunter gatherers, to farmers? I'm getting upset. It's not all that bad, we have exchanged quantity for quality, that is certain. Our crops, far more useful to all the animals of Earth, than the trees we have removed to plant them, have their benefits in terms of our metabolisms. They're more useful to us. But what good is more food, when we struggle to breathe?

Imagine a world with twice the plants, twice the photosynthesis, twice the rate, of oxygen, being converted into carbon dioxide, and back again.

We need to help life get back on it's feet.

Searching for my next point, reading headlines like "1.3 Billion Tons of Food Are Wasted Each Year" it's hard to compare that to the 400 billion tons we've removed completely, from all the biomass of Earth. That stuff was once alive. It was reproducing, growing and breathing. And now it's gone, thanks to us. At least, thanks to our ancestors. But we can bring it back to life, if we want to.

For decades I have been considering what it would take to turn the Sahara, into savanna, grasslands, forests and maybe even jungles, marshes and swamps, and, it all comes down to water. Cells, of any kind, be they animal, plant, fungus or any host of micro organisms, their primary ingredient, is water. Once you have that, the lipids can form cell walls and all the carbon based molecules, have a medium in which they can do their magic. Of course it would be nice if that water was fresh, as the high levels of sodium and chlorine in seawater are not conducive to osmoregulation which is one of the key mechanisms for cells to maintain homeostasis.

--

I am tempted to stop here, as this subject is a bit far afield from my original point. But I want to hammer this idea home; we can, with the technology we have mastered making oil pipelines, bring in large amounts of water from the bodies of the Atlantic Ocean, Mediterranean Sea and Indian Ocean, into large reservoirs of deep in the Sahara, where it can be allowed to evaporate and diffuse into the air and ground, creating, a continuous circulation of water as larger and larger organisms absorb and transpire the moisture.

I'm done being chained to this post for now, but I want to leave you with a few videos:
1. Louis Armstrong - What a wonderful world ( 1967 )
2. Veritasium's Where Do Trees Get Their Mass?

And an image:yShMFiN.png and I want you to explore Google Earth or Google Maps, and zoom into places all over the Earth and just see how much of it is now farmland, as opposed to forests. Then look at the great deserts of the world, like that which extends from Western Africa to Northeast China, Spans Australia, and will soon, Span the Western United States, unless we do grand scale things to conserve and replenish these areas, with water and plant life. Even if it's just turning these vast swaths of Earth into more croplands, but especially if we turn them into forests and allow the lungs of the planet, to regrow.

Bonus content:
3. Anton Petrov's China Shocked The World By Planting Billions of Trees...Our Turn!
4. Megaprojects' South-to-North Water Transfer Project: China's Redistribution of Natural Resources and, if you are of the conservative western mindset, stop being such a lazy triggered pussy, talking shit about China while they flex on the world, and let's get to work setting our own great projects into motion. Stop making excuses, while the west rusts and let's work together to get some shit done. Real shit that billions of people in the future will be proud we accomplished, in our lifetimes, so that our countries, our regions, could afford theirs. Don't get jealous and think of your militaries; think about threatening China because they are making us look bad, think about what we can do to compete with them and stay in the race.

Now, I really leave this post with this one final story from my childhood, regarding Isaac Newton, as told by Ethan Brown on http://coolmathstuff123.blogspot.com/

Ethan Brown wrote:

Let me tell you an interesting story about Newton. When he was a young student, he was very shy and not at all the genius that he is known as today. One day at recess, a bully came up to him and punched him in the stomach. Newton chose to fight back, and proceeded to shove his face in the mud. All of his classmates, who did not like this kid, cheered him on as he proved his superiority to the bully.

After this incident, he decided that physical prestige wasn't enough for him, and he wanted mental prestige as well. So, he started working much harder at his schoolwork, and soon after became top of the class, proving to everyone that he was smarter than the bully as well. This motivation could have been what turned him into one of the best scientists and mathematicians of all time.

I think this story shows that anyone who has drive and dedication can become a genius, and it also is a story themed around the negativity of bullying. I also like it because it is an interesting aspect about a mathematician's childhood, which help people get to know who is behind what they are learning and practicing.

Learn, Practice, Become.

#28 2020-08-28 20:38:03

Arcurus

@Morti sound little bit like Chinas Great Green Wall:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lECxeRzJ2sY

Board footer