One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-08-07 07:23:50

JonySky
Website

Why do animals live forever?

This game is called an hour a life ... but if you are a horse, a bear, or any animal you will live forever!
It is rare to arrive in a city abandoned for many generations and discover that the animals are still alive ...
Why can't aging be implemented in animals?

Last edited by JonySky (2020-08-07 07:24:17)

#2 2020-08-07 07:42:16

Eve Troll

Re: Why do animals live forever?

Wouldnt animals need to respawn if they aged? I think the main reason animals live forever is so they remain a static resource that can be depleted. If mouflon respawned that would be essentially an unlimited source of food with no resource cost. If they didnt respawn then essential animals would disappear pretty quickly. Also im presuming they would be on a decay timer so you would need to render the area to cycle their timers, and likely to trigger new spawns as well.

#3 2020-08-07 07:50:43

Dodge

Too complicated and not worth it, a time sink basically that would take months of updates to get right and wouldn't be interesting.

You would travel around and all the animals you see are basically doomed even worse if you want to make it realistic which would mean all the sheeps, mouflons, bisons etc you see would be dead in 20 minutes.

Would be a major pain in the ass, you bring a mouflon and breed some sheeps but then you dont get new lambs for 20 minutes and all your animal pen dies on top of that someone travelled around the village which would mean all the mouflons around are already dead.

So then you have to implement some other complicated mechanic for wildlife reproduction which wouldn't work since the entities on map only load when you see them so you would need some other complicated coding and all that for nothing interesting really.

It could be interesting if the map wasn't infinite and you had a real ecosystem, the more you cut trees and build on biomes the less wildlife can reproduce since they have less of their natural habitat then if you destroy too much of it or kill too many wild animals, wildlife could potentially go extinct and you would eventually run out of some foods or couldn't have access to some ressources.

But with the current game not worth it.

#4 2020-08-07 11:05:19

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

Unless we got respawning animals, and horse breeding this is a hell no.

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#5 2020-08-07 11:17:47

DrRoy

We live in a post apocalyptic society. Before the apocalypse, humankind has been at its peak. Scientists discovered everything that can be discovered. And of course, they found immortality. Soon they injected this miraculous medicine in every living being. No plant would rot, no creature would die, there was no need for greed or hunger. Of course recreation had to be limited. Soon the world existed in a fine balance and the golden age of immortality lasted for about 300 years. But one mad scientist, named Jason, couldn't abandon his love for the world before immortality immortality. He dreamt of a world where he could once again see the smile of his child. So in a mad usage of all his knowledge and skills, he liquified himself and spread his essence around the world. This had several horrifying effects on the world. First, every primate which breathes Jason essence that doesn't share enough DNA would die in suffering leading to extinction. Other animals would bear children that are a caricature of themselves. When the density of the  the omnipresent Jason aether would get too high or enters the lungs of a female, a mortal human would be formed. With fierce hunger, living of the immortal land and thereby destroying it. All those humans will have only one father, the essence of the Jason. Ironically, Jason has no way to observe this brutally created new world. So his dream of seeing a child's smile one more time, died with his body. That is why animals are immortal and humans ain't.

PS: legend says Jason's immortal relatives still live underground up to this day.....

#6 2020-08-07 14:33:00

The_Anabaptist

I for one can't wait for dying animals.  Think of the acres and acres of corpses cluttering all the available map tiles!  Buildings would have a purpose, that being to keep the hordes of animals from coming in, dying on the floor, and preventing any work from getting done.

The_Anabaptist

#7 2020-08-07 17:28:11

DestinyCall

The_Anabaptist wrote:

I for one can't wait for dying animals.  Think of the acres and acres of corpses cluttering all the available map tiles!  Buildings would have a purpose, that being to keep the hordes of animals from coming in, dying on the floor, and preventing any work from getting done.

The_Anabaptist

Another amazingly practical use for property fences.

Perhaps in a later update, we could get zombie animals?   The restless undead sheep rising up outside our village walls, pounding at the gates for entry, hungering for the flesh of the living.

Zombie bears would be absolutely terrifying.

#8 2020-08-08 23:31:50

Cantface

The dogs don't live forever they just run around being useless. That's sad enough.

Breasticles

#9 2020-08-09 01:43:08

Grim_Arbiter

Cantface wrote:

The dogs don't live forever they just run around being useless. That's sad enough.

True.

They are vanity in game, however I feel like I remember almost every time I've seen them in game. Seeing them is special in that way, almost as a relief from the norm. I think they have too short of a lifespan, and should unrealistically live as long as a person, just because the realistic time is too short to appreciate. But I think they should age and die.

Those animals such as sheep, pigs, and even horses are strictly resources in game. Even in reality they mostly are only resources. In the 1000 foot view of humanity you would see most animals being used by people for their products. While they all realistically live age and die, the game represents that as managing them as resources.

Dogs (and maybe cats someday) dont fall into the resource management category in game. Other than pitbulls, there isn't any practical use for them. Maybe the german shepherd should have a positive use to balance them, but that's another topic. They dont serve a purpose other than a personal pleasure, for the most part, so therefore they should last as long as the person who wanted it.

So i think the more feel good animals feel right aging and dying, because it feels more personal to witness them be mortal like yourself.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

Board footer