One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-08-01 22:35:30

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Notice about account details shared publicly (account pools, twitter)

If the secret details of an account are shared publicly in any way, that account has officially "escaped" into the wild, and has been abandoned.

Such accounts will be permanently blocked when they are discovered, with no refund.

So, if you post your account key on Twitter, or in these forums, or on Discord, your account has escaped, and it will be blocked.

Also, if you add your account to an account pool, your account has escaped, and will be blocked.

You own your account, but only as long as you keep your secret secret.  Once it's no longer secret, and members of the public can log into your account (even if it's through an account pool that doesn't divulge the key to them directly), you have abandoned your account.

Note that after being abandoned, your account is no longer useful to you, because other people can use those account details to log in and interrupt your game, kicking you off.  Thus, an abandoned account no longer has any value.

This is fair warning for folks who might be spending their precious time developing account pool services:  people who donate their accounts to these services will have their accounts permanently blocked.

#2 2020-08-01 23:00:56

PXshadow

Re: Notice about account details shared publicly (account pools, twitter)

Does that mean that Tarr's account is blocked right now? And as long as it's not a service open to the public there's no issue such as people needing to be white listed to use the service?

PXshadow#9132
Senior full stack developer

#3 2020-08-01 23:06:12

fug

PXshadow wrote:

Does that mean that Tarr's account is blocked right now? And as long as it's not a service open to the public there's no issue such as people needing to be white listed to use the service?

It had been blocked for months by request because trolls started abusing it instead of people using it as a means to try the game.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#4 2020-08-02 00:29:52

Jojigirl

Completely understandable.

I don't see why anyone would want to share their account key with multiple people anyhow.

#5 2020-08-02 00:54:07

sigmen4020

Jojigirl wrote:

Completely understandable.

I don't see why anyone would want to share their account key with multiple people anyhow.

One reason comes to mind. Like if you grief too much and then don’t wanna accept your stay in donkey town.

Last edited by sigmen4020 (2020-08-02 00:54:21)

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#6 2020-08-02 03:58:45

Tessa

Jason Rohrer you have no legal right to block any account.
You have promised:

a lifetime account on the main game server and access to all future updates

Selling a product under a false promise is fraud and against the law.

#7 2020-08-02 04:13:28

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

Tessa wrote:

You have promised:

You can be blocked off of bigserver2. You still have server access, but can't play with others. Cya bye bye

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#8 2020-08-02 04:20:43

Jojigirl

Tessa wrote:

You have promised:

He has every right to disable keys if people are willingly sharing keys with the public..

That is a form of pirating! I am sure in no way shape or form did he ever agree to allow people to share their key with multiple people. 

The game is cheap, there should be no problem in buying it and supporting Jason for his hard work. Why should anyone expect to get access for free?

Last edited by Jojigirl (2020-08-02 04:21:39)

#9 2020-08-02 04:47:33

Tessa

Fraud:

wrongful or criminal deception intended to result in financial or personal gain.

When people buy this game they expect to gain a permanent account, like seen in the trailer and promised on the sell page, nowhere does it say that your account can be blocked or separated from other accounts.
Since Jason Rohrer blocks and separates accounts Jason Rohrer is deceiving people when buying an account for his game.
This means that Jason Rohrer has deceived thousands of customers and earned millions by doing so, therefore he committed fraud.
If Jason Rohrer now changes his promise or the way his website looks, the way he sells the game, it will not affect accounts that were already bought in the past.

#10 2020-08-02 05:13:04

Dodge

How dumb you have to be to think that it would be fine to allow any kind of way to play a paying game for free

#11 2020-08-02 05:21:36

Lava

For once dodge makes a good point +1

#12 2020-08-02 05:22:47

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

People sharing accounts allow people server access who didn't buy the game, therefore Jason owes them nothing

I also /blush.

#13 2020-08-02 05:34:31

Dodge

And how dumber you have to be to harrass the person that makes the mod you use to the point that they abandon their project.

#14 2020-08-02 05:38:03

Tessa

Account sharing is legal, unless TOS say otherwise.
A judge will not care about how you feel towards a law.
You can say a law is dumb or unfair but it wont change the law.

#15 2020-08-02 05:46:25

Dodge

"MiCrOwAvE PaCkAgE DoEsN't SaY i ShOuLdN't PuT mY cAt In It"

#16 2020-08-02 06:31:03

PXshadow

jasonrohrer wrote:

Once it's no longer secret, and members of the public can log into your account (even if it's through an account pool that doesn't divulge the key to them directly), you have abandoned your account.

Watch this slight of hand occur with regards to phrasing. There's an issue of using abandonment in a way that doesn't at all reflect ownership. For example if I let my friend live at my house when I'm not there for a week under contract, it wouldn't be the case that I'm abandoning my house by giving temporary ownership. Also secrecy has nothing to do with ownership in any capacity, it's who is able to utilize the resource and to what degree.

jasonrohrer wrote:

Note that after being abandoned, your account is no longer useful to you, because other people can use those account details to log in and interrupt your game, kicking you off.  Thus, an abandoned account no longer has any value.

Now it continues by using abandonment incorrectly it than follows from an incorrect conclusion in terms of having Jason define for you that your account is no longer useful (aka he's claiming a higher property claim than you have on the account that he legally stated would be "a lifetime account on the main game server and access to all future updates").

And finally the idea that because you could potentially allow someone to interrupt your game, which is faulty in terms of the conclusions but even if true, is not necessary at all for an account sharing system and doesn't add to the argument.

From reading this I think it can be summed up as Jason believes that if he thinks a user account doesn't have value to the user, regardless of what the actual user thinks with regards to his/her account, the account can be permanently blocked. This seems like this is a clear case of fraud with regards to the accounts and against the clearly stated agreement with purchasing the account, however I'm not a lawyer.

PXshadow#9132
Senior full stack developer

#17 2020-08-02 06:42:58

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

Dodge wrote:

And how dumber you have to be to harrass the person that makes the mod you use to the point that they abandon their project.

You have no idea what you're talking about, and should inform yourself on a situation before making statements like that.

I also /blush.

#18 2020-08-02 07:19:53

Dodge

DiscardedSlinky wrote:
Dodge wrote:

You have no idea what you're talking about, and should inform yourself on a situation before making statements like that.

I did inform myself unlike some other people that keep claiming untrue statements without even checking their accuracy and my statement comes from the person concerned itself.

#19 2020-08-02 08:19:07

Gogo
Banned

Nice. smile

What if someone tracked your leaderboard name and shared it for public?

#20 2020-08-02 09:06:31

ahead

oh this is some really interesting stuff, but what if multiple people do this, but sorta keep it a secret
what are you gonna do about that?
use their IPs to prove that they are sharing the account?
and what if someone forgot to turn off their VPN before logging on
how does one prove that something is an honest mistake instead of account sharing?
i'm not at all familiar with any technical things around this
maybe there's some other way to know what person is using the account i'm not aware of and this is not at all a problem?

Sorry, nothing

#21 2020-08-02 09:22:07

sigmen4020

Good to see internet lawyers out in full force claiming fraud, because Jason doesn’t allow you to publicly distribute his game for free.

Maybe you should sue him. That would be a riot.

Last edited by sigmen4020 (2020-08-02 12:12:26)

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#22 2020-08-02 11:02:14

Jojigirl

sigmen4020 wrote:

Good to see internet lawyers out in full force claiming fraud, because Jason doesn’t allow you to public distribute his game for free.

Maybe you should sue him. That would be a riot.

This!

#23 2020-08-02 11:21:45

Lava

The myth that slinky is the one that made whatever leave is simply a myth. It wasn’t her fault, and both parties in the situation have resolved it between them so please don’t start unecessary drama that you have practically no involvement in.

Last edited by Lava (2020-08-02 11:22:15)

#24 2020-08-02 13:04:58

Dodge

Lava wrote:

The myth that slinky is the one that made whatever leave is simply a myth. It wasn’t her fault, and both parties in the situation have resolved it between them so please don’t start unecessary drama that you have practically no involvement in.

I never said that but since you mention it, if you are aware of an on going situation and dont do anything to stop it then you are as much responsible, not doing anything is also doing something, you choose to not take action and turn a blind eye on what is going on especially if you are the person that introduced them.

Anyway it's a shame for the mod users that get punished for the stupidity of some people.

#25 2020-08-02 14:21:33

Mr.XIX

Quick and easy question:

Are other people allowed to play on my account when I enter the username and key for them?

(therefore not sharing my account details)

If not, why?

Board footer