One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-07-29 23:06:52

goldfish

the time I had 20 kids & starved to death: a memoir by Hopelynn Gemar

So I would say it all started fairly normal. My mom, Hopelyn, named me Hopelynn, so that was neat I guess. We were starting a new town and struggling a little bit to set up a farm, but we were confident in our abilities to survive. I had two daughters and all was well and manageable.

Then came The Great Bear Attack of 7/29/2020(tm). Two bears pop up and murder four or five people. I start spewing children left and right, trying to feed some and not die all while watching in horror as some are immediately eaten by the bears and others run around screaming "F" like they can't see I'm drowning in children, trying to work a wimpy farm, and about to starve. My brother (only surviving family at this point) is like, "we gotta go", so he packs up our singular pie and starts to take off but I have a swarm of sobbing babies following me. I try to pick out the ones that have some sense of survival instincts to save. If you didn't follow me while I scrambled for food, sorry, but you're not it. It's very difficult to pick out two or three kids to let live when there are seven or eight tottering around begging for their lives. I wasted lots of food on the ones I wasn't trying to save by accidentally picking up the wrong person. I managed to name a few but it looks like most of my chosen children died shortly after so that's unfortunate. After feeding the hoard that was my children, my soul (and any food store we had) was sucked dry and I perished.

I look back at the family tree to get a headcount, naturally. I thought it was broken at first because it loads as a black screen. But behold, my line of 20 children stretches the screen so much you can't see anything until you scroll.
(http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=6437094)
Peep my sister's last words: "Whys there so many". Rip Helon, I missed your moral (and physical) support after you left me during our midlife crisis. I named one child Many to honor their fallen siblings, and then they died too. This was the downfall of the Gemars, basically. Sorry guys.

My genetics were destroyed. My deepest condolences to the rest of the Gemars who's genetics probably also suffered from my literal baby boom. Apologies to the un-chosen kids as well, but like you gotta understand I just couldn't. I am not the best under pressure, I'll admit, but damn.

RIP to the Gemar fam.

Last edited by goldfish (2020-07-29 23:08:06)

#2 2020-07-30 11:04:00

JonySky
Website

Re: the time I had 20 kids & starved to death: a memoir by Hopelynn Gemar

The logic of this game is the best!... if you had committed suicide against the bear you would have lost less genetic score ... hahahaha!
It is a game full of contradictions.
A survival game where suicide has more advantage than surviving, how to live in a world upside down

Last edited by JonySky (2020-07-30 11:57:07)

#3 2020-07-30 13:20:05

ahead

this is just awful
surely there were other fams?
why didn't they get any kids?

Sorry, nothing

#4 2020-07-30 14:54:14

DestinyCall

Clearly she was the best available mother.   The algorithm is never wrong.

#5 2020-07-30 20:15:30

ahead

?sdik yna teg yeht t'ndid yhw
?smaf rehto erew ereht ylerus
lufwa tsuj si siht

Sorry, nothing

#6 2020-07-30 20:37:02

Ilka

Ahhh old problem.
Unlimited number of children.
Yesterday all the cities were starving.
All dying people, were born to next mothers.
Probably the ratio of the number of veterans to newbie was disturbed.
I was twice a child in the Gemar family.
Once I lived to be 5 years old, but I can't make miracles and if there's nothing to eat, I starve.
The second time I pressed "dead" out of courtesy - my mother had two more babies to feed, and there was no food.

#7 2020-07-31 02:30:05

goldfish

DestinyCall wrote:

Clearly she was the best available mother.   The algorithm is never wrong.

Maybe I was the best available mother. Unfortunately the algorithm has since learned that it made a mistake in trusting me with the mob of children. Imagine Titanic music and slow motion shots of us running around dead berry bushes.

Ilka wrote:

I was twice a child in the Gemar family.
Once I lived to be 5 years old, but I can't make miracles and if there's nothing to eat, I starve.
The second time I pressed "dead" out of courtesy - my mother had two more babies to feed, and there was no food.

I, too, struggle with making miracles. Would've been awesome to actually raise twenty kids.
I really could have used some /die babies in the chaos. I had two slash before the storm, but of course none of the ones born during the boom did. They all opted to go out by bear or starvation.

Last edited by goldfish (2020-07-31 02:33:26)

#8 2020-08-01 16:53:53

Spoonwood

The current algorithm restricts births based on the number of children living.  Your children kept dying, so you kept getting more children.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

Board footer