One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-07-26 23:31:17

sadhope

Been away for about a year, wtf?

After seeing that I had to bait snares, I wanted to re-acclimate to the game and see what else has been changed, so I spawned on an empty server... 

Is it even possible to establish a new city without organizing with people IRL?  Once you die your wells disintegrate?   Hunger-work is beyond dumb.  What's the deal with iron now?

It seems like everyone was so worried about griefing and being 'more than a sandbox' that they've pretty much begged jason into ruining this game of any potential, beyond just whatever crazy ideas he has about races and biomes, etc.

Maybe all of this wouldn't be so bad if there was some organized documentation.  We shouldn't have to comb through the forums just to figure out how people are building sheep pens nowdays...

I've played about 12hrs in the last 3 days, and I've already had it with this game.  Thankfully, I still have a custom localserver, which I haven't updated in over a year, and minus some of the new technologies, it definitely used to be a better game.

#2 2020-07-27 00:08:04

fug

Re: Been away for about a year, wtf?

I mean I'm not going to disagree with the idea the game has been in better places because to be frank unless you're told by a veteran how the game works you're not going to understand anything.

How do you get iron?

Old - You used to collect it off the ground like every other basic resource in the game.
New - You have to form a fairy circle of stones around some grid locked spring to make other springs produce iron. Thank you iron fairies.

How do you get specialty items?

Old - Literally walk into the biome and pick the stuff up dummy.
New - Ask someone in a modded chat client to bring your colored people the item.

How do you have babies?

Old - Someone joins the game and boom you get a baby.
New - You set by a well and get impregnated by the water supply.

How do you learn other people's language?

Old - You either didn't have this or you learned by living with people after the update.
New - You don't because race mixing in a village is bad. Water supply only likes pure race villages.

How do you kill someone?

Old - Shift click the person.
New - Have a posse > their ally count so in the case of in family affairs exiling the person by talking to someone who has managed to not have suicidal children in the last life but also you have to have lived 20 minutes last life or you don't count, or if you're a twin+ you don't count. Or if the person have a bloody weapon you can just outright attack them.

How do you use a tool?

Old - Pick it up and use it.
New - Have some score in a certain range so you get bonus slots but the game only tells you how many you get at birth but doesn't explain what the thresholds are so you either have to dig through the forums to find what the break points are you learn through getting up your score.

How does meme (gene) score work?

Old - We didn't have this garbage.
New - It's based off your average life rate + the average of your children/nieces/nephews/grandma/mothers. Basically you hit old age you get points! Unless you always hit 60 in which case no points! Your kid kill itself before beating its score? Boom you lose points! Lose too many points? Less tool slots! Yay, less freedom!

The game is basically unplayable unless there is someone to teach you all the random cryptic features put in place to limit the veterans.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#3 2020-07-27 01:28:29

Karrots

Maybe I should start playing again? I haven't suffered enough lately.

#4 2020-07-27 11:30:44

dangergirl713

Yea I stopped playing when he did the temperature change and then came back about a month ago to check out the changes. Shortly after I came back, he implemented the iron/ well spring change and I left after a veteran explained how to get iron after the change. The explanation was a paragraph long and I was like how is this game going to survive if the game mechanics are not inherently intuitive for new people or even old players that come back to playing the game?

All the changes now restrict new players to doing anything in the game other than be farm slaves to large towns built by veterans. Everything including being an eve, a town leader, number of tools you can use, etc... is tied to having a higher gene score. It's really messed up.

If you are interested in playing one hour one life before the changes, I would suggest trying the mobile game that is not endorsed by Jason. It has different content since the renaming and is a lot of fun once you get use to the controls.

#5 2020-07-27 13:09:04

ahead

awful, just terrible

Sorry, nothing

#6 2020-07-27 13:15:44

Lava

I actually like the gene score update I think it’s fine and incentives hard work. Iron really isn’t a problem aslong as you yum, I do agree that organized groups are needed and if you make a couple friends on discord like many people have that isn’t a problem either. The only issue or problem I have is language, it’s barely learned and really needs to be updated to suit homeland update

#7 2020-07-27 13:50:33

Erudaru

It's really tiring to be working on water all the time because no one else understands wells in your village.

#8 2020-07-27 14:08:39

Rookwood

Lava wrote:

snip

Gene score is a random number generator.  Your great nephew will have a greater affect on your score than you will by living to 60 and keeping a town alive. 

What getting on the discord gets you is the ability to know when NOT to play if you care about gene score.  People who care will not spawn in if there is an Eve wave going on, only when towns are established. Likewise they won't spawn if there is a griefer active and if they do spawn in to a town with an active griefer, it is better to /die than try to live out that life.  The system does not incentivize what it's supposed to, caring about your family, rather it incentivizes power play where you basically carry the town on your back while using Hetuw mod so zoomed out you don't even notice that the noob next to you is asking for help, rather you're chatting across server in Phex about active griefers and trade.  It also disincentivizes some of the funnest parts of the game, essentially playing through adversity.

Speaking of discord specifically, it is not a healthy community. Most people there are extremely jaded with the game and Jason's direction and update schedule and it's pretty easy to see why.  You are exactly right that joining this community is pretty much a requirement with the current game's state but that is not a good thing. 

I took a break after the rift updates (which I believe is where Jason really lost his way) and came back to a game that is incomprehensible and people who knew what they were doing but had no time to stop and help me in game even though I would ask.  I joined the discord because I knew that was the only way I was going to catch back up, but most people aren't going to go to that effort.  They'll spawn a few times and then quit for good after being told off for berrymunching and then wandering around aimlessly without knowing what to do or anyone willing to teach them.   

The game is way off from what it was originally intended to be about.  It has the simultaneous problems of being impenetrable to newcomers and too stagnant for veterans and most of all, asocial without meta-gaming.  This chart shows that something is wrong and that the game won't be around for much longer unless something changes. https://steamcharts.com/app/595690#All

Also, re: language, we have white people, radios and pen and paper.  I think it's one of the few systems in the game right now that's interesting because it encourages SOME kind of interaction even though none of them make logical sense.  Again, power users will just skirt around this with phex.

#9 2020-07-27 14:33:44

Psykout

Remember when Jason would be opposed to QoL changes because it wouldn't feel natural or be intuitive?

I mean there has definitely be some good changes here and there but damn... Really hard to digest the amount of information you need to know to function on a basic level.

Also its painful to see cool things like sprinklers and plows, only to find out they are so hard to make work efficiently.

#10 2020-07-27 15:40:29

JonySky
Website

Psykout wrote:

Remember when Jason would be opposed to QoL changes because it wouldn't feel natural or be intuitive?

I mean there has definitely be some good changes here and there but damn... Really hard to digest the amount of information you need to know to function on a basic level.

Also its painful to see cool things like sprinklers and plows, only to find out they are so hard to make work efficiently.

I remember when Jason did not want "magic" solutions ... and look now!
sprinklers and plows are extremely difficult to create, and have no significant advantage
They are just objects created by boredom, just like feast tables, pavers, glass bottles, pigs, ice cream, and many objects that we hardly see in the game.

#11 2020-07-27 15:43:31

Ilka

I haven't played for 3 months and I don't understand some things either.
I don't know at all how leadership works and what it is about inheriting right to the gate of property.

But I will describe my return.
I was born as a boy in a small village (I thought I was the 6-7 generation, I was really 20).
Most of the people had no clothes so I decided to hunt rabbits.
I left the village, at a distance of 0.2 k found a place with rabbits and lots of wild food.
Then I almost starved before I got a backpack, panties and a hat.
Despite the fact that I ate every 2-3 seconds, the death bell continued to chime.
It was so absurdly illogical - I eat all the time and almost starve.

Does the novice now have a chance to survive when he leaves the village?
Definitely not.
So they stay in the village and eat the berries and popcorn just like before.
It always bothered the veterans.
Well, nothing has changed.

If I were to describe what I see after 3 months, best word is  "poverty".
Cities are looking dull and everyone is focused on making food.
If this cycle is broken, the city dies.
Nobody builds interesting buildings, even in advanced cities (except for cemeteries made by one person, I believe).

But Jason's fences have finally had their big moment - in every city the engines are protected by a fence.

It was a year of making absurd changes and adjustments to those changes.
And corrections for corrections.
Together, the game is much worse than it was.

#12 2020-07-27 15:57:10

Lava

Gene score isn’t a randomly generated score. If you played the game you would know this. Sure gene score fluctuates, but putting the time to teach your kids and cloth them raises your score. It’s why the global score has been going up over time. And phex isn’t  the solution towards everything, only a small percentage of people use hetuw let alone phex.  Putting in the time and effort and you can get your score up.

Last edited by Lava (2020-07-27 15:57:42)

#13 2020-07-27 15:59:30

Lava

Ilka wrote:

I haven't played for 3 months and I don't understand some things either.
I don't know at all how leadership works and what it is about inheriting right to the gate of property.

But I will describe my return.
I was born as a boy in a small village (I thought I was the 6-7 generation, I was really 20).
Most of the people had no clothes so I decided to hunt rabbits.
I left the village, at a distance of 0.2 k found a place with rabbits and lots of wild food.
Then I almost starved before I got a backpack, panties and a hat.
Despite the fact that I ate every 2-3 seconds, the death bell continued to chime.
It was so absurdly illogical - I eat all the time and almost starve.

Does the novice now have a chance to survive when he leaves the village?
Definitely not.
So they stay in the village and eat the berries and popcorn just like before.
It always bothered the veterans.
Well, nothing has changed.

If I were to describe what I see after 3 months, best word is  "poverty".
Cities are looking dull and everyone is focused on making food.

If this cycle is broken, the city dies.
Nobody builds interesting buildings, even in advanced cities (except for cemeteries made by one person, I believe).

But Jason's fences have finally had their big moment - in every city the engines are protected by a fence.

It was a year of making absurd changes and adjustments to those changes.
And corrections for corrections.
Together, the game is much worse than it was.

You were starving cause the game revolves around yum. If you don’t yum you die. If you yum it runs the same like it did before in terms of consumption.

#14 2020-07-27 16:02:59

Ilka

Lava wrote:

You were starving cause the game revolves around yum. If you don’t yum you die. If you yum it runs the same like it did before in terms of consumption.

I know of course, but the pace of hunger shocked me. And it was so stupid.

#15 2020-07-27 16:24:55

fug

Lava wrote:

Again this is one of those things explained absolutely nowhere that between different lives food can be vastly different. How were they supposed to know all the wild food was going to be 1-3 pip max foods?

Yeah the answer is to yum but you'd think you would get a warning generational-wise or something.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#16 2020-07-27 19:58:58

ahead

i'd much prefer just being free to do whatever
one of the better moments i've had recently is being born as a daughter to an eve with a sister
mother died so i had to take care of my sis
she was new and i had to teach her
but i couldn't, the game expected me to go fast and get a village going
even though i was surrounded with dead unrepopulatable villages
and if i din't the generational food nutrition value reduction mechanic would kick in
crippling my family untill death
or, one of my kids would run off and grief by making a well
locking my family out of getting iron

this was good untill the stupid restrictions forced me to drag my sis, with her having no idea on how to play
we couln't stay nomads for one second too long
as that was a death sentence by the game's restrictions

the restrictions don't make anything fun, they only create more problems instead of solving any

Sorry, nothing

Board footer