One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-07-01 13:20:44

nerfsnowballsnow

How can the games punishment system be based on "he said she said"?

Just came back after a long time of not playing. Had lots of good lives. One recently, was complete shit.

Was in the Edge town. Person named Bluma Edge had a key and was telling people to go into a building with nothing in it, and locking them in there. Her daughter Eleonora Edge was also telling people to go in there, and her name was black since I had cursed her in a previous life. I took the key away and gave it to someone who then made a lock remover since I didn't remember how to do that. Told a few others to curse Bluma then went on my way and Bluma died of old age shortly afterward. All is well or so I thought.

Eleonora and a person named July Edge tell the leader to exile and curse me. Another person is defending me. Spent literally around 10 minutes arguing with them next to leader about this. There is another person who was there to witness the Bluma stuff who was defending me, can't remember their name. July Edge insists that she saw me lock the door on other people so I can only assume she was also griefing. Despite me trying to defend myself for 10 minutes, leader decides to believe July and Eleonora, and I get exiled, cursed, and killed.

My name was Oliviarose Edge http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=6352954

How can the games punishment system still be like this? Cursing is a terrible system when it's literally just "he said she said" to people that didn't see what actually happened? Why aren't there logs or something? I literally got punished for stopping a griefer.

#2 2020-07-01 13:53:52

FishRfriendsnotfood
Banned

Re: How can the games punishment system be based on "he said she said"?

your mistake was arguing for 10 minutes.  when you see things go sideways, take off get at least 200 tiles away (out of curse range) and let things cool off. maybe change your hat, clothes etc and come back if some time has passed or look for a place to camp.  Don't give in to the urge to defend your honor.

I'm fish, deal with it or don't, idgaf

#3 2020-07-01 15:02:33

Arcurus

better next time go first to the leader and tell whats going on. Then later you would not need to explain it to him....

Yea i guess it would be fine to be killed out of unjust behavior, but the cursing seem to be little bit overpowered / unbalanced currently.

If its only a ok i dont want to play with this player in next 30 days its fine. But each curse increases also the general curse radius.

Also some kind of balance like a blessing is missing. If you do lot of good, in average you should get more belssings then curses.

Both curses should not revel the name of the player, but mark him dark (if cursed), or blue(if blessed). The general curse radius could then be curses - blessings.

Also cursing one from another family should be limited, since he might do something good for his family and "borrow" some of your resources...

Of course of that to work, the posse / combat system and the fences would need to be improofed, so that you have a good way of dealing with outside attackers.

#4 2020-07-01 15:02:40

nerfsnowballsnow

Im convinced the game is worse now. Just had another life where Cloe Manring was griefing. Killed sheep took lots of stuff into wild. Couldn't kill her because leader was a barely functional potato who could barely even eat. When that leader died next leader was a baby... She couldn't be exiled and couldn't be killed just griefed until she died of old age. Literally just harder to kill griefers, what's the point?

#5 2020-07-01 15:34:38

DestinyCall

What is the point of killing griefers anyways?   It just rewards them with a new town full of unsuspecting victims.

#6 2020-07-01 15:49:24

Arcurus

nerfsnowballsnow wrote:

Im convinced the game is worse now. Just had another life where Cloe Manring was griefing. Killed sheep took lots of stuff into wild. Couldn't kill her because leader was a barely functional potato who could barely even eat. When that leader died next leader was a baby... She couldn't be exiled and couldn't be killed just griefed until she died of old age. Literally just harder to kill griefers, what's the point?

yes, reported problems and solutions to the posse / exile system already in github:

https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLife/issues/648

#7 2020-07-01 16:35:05

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

Tool slots are how I look for punishment. If all the sheep are dead I pick up a knife and see who knows it.

Keys? Who knows the file tool?

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#8 2020-07-01 17:00:03

JonySky
Website

It is an unfair system and for this to work it must be balanced on both sides (attackers and defenders)

Here there are no players with good intentions and players with bad intentions, there are only players who want to have fun and who have paid for the game like anyone in this forum

If we create a fair system for everyone, we will be able to fight against annoying players ... if we create an unfair system we get a poor system like now

#9 2020-07-01 18:05:07

Twisted

It's not really a 'punishment' system. Cursing someone means you didn't enjoy playing with them, maybe because they were griefing, maybe because they spent too much time arguing, maybe because they were too rude or hostile, or for any other reason. The only thing cursing does is making it so that person doesn't spawn near you. There is no punishment associated with it (unless you piss off enough people so that there's literally nowhere for you to spawn).

My guess as to what happened is that someone wrongfully accused you of locking people up, you got really angry, maybe yelled out some profanities that people didn't like, and that's why you got cursed. I took a look at four of your most recent lives and your last words in those lives are "I give up", "FFS", "Fuck off", "Its over". Either fairly hostile or needlessly fatalistic which is why I assume you got cursed due to arguing.

Again this is just me guessing and I could be completely and uttrely wrong, but without looking at the chat log there's no way to see what really happened.

#10 2020-07-01 18:29:33

nerfsnowballsnow

Twisted wrote:

It's not really a 'punishment' system. Cursing someone means you didn't enjoy playing with them, maybe because they were griefing, maybe because they spent too much time arguing, maybe because they were too rude or hostile, or for any other reason. The only thing cursing does is making it so that person doesn't spawn near you. There is no punishment associated with it (unless you piss off enough people so that there's literally nowhere for you to spawn).

My guess as to what happened is that someone wrongfully accused you of locking people up, you got really angry, maybe yelled out some profanities that people didn't like, and that's why you got cursed. I took a look at four of your most recent lives and your last words in those lives are "I give up", "FFS", "Fuck off", "Its over". Either fairly hostile or needlessly fatalistic which is why I assume you got cursed due to arguing.

Again this is just me guessing and I could be completely and uttrely wrong, but without looking at the chat log there's no way to see what really happened.

Is donkeytown not a thing anymore?

#11 2020-07-01 18:51:36

DestinyCall

Donkeytown still exists, but you only go there when the game can't find anyone who is able to give birth to you.   Being cursed stops you from being born close to the person who has you cursed.   If too many different players have you cursed, you will eventually run out of options, because all available mothers are in the "no-go" zone.  At that point, you will spawn in DT.   As soon as a mother becomes available, you can spawn as a baby again.

This means that you will want to be extra careful if you give birth far from town, away from other people.   These babies are more likely to be cursed players who were unable to spawn in town.   Might be a good idea to watch them closely as they get old enough to cause trouble.

#12 2020-07-01 19:36:56

Arcurus

DestinyCall wrote:

Donkeytown still exists, but you only go there when the game can't find anyone who is able to give birth to you.   Being cursed stops you from being born close to the person who has you cursed.   If too many different players have you cursed, you will eventually run out of options, because all available mothers are in the "no-go" zone.  At that point, you will spawn in DT.   As soon as a mother becomes available, you can spawn as a baby again.

This means that you will want to be extra careful if you give birth far from town, away from other people.   These babies are more likely to be cursed players who were unable to spawn in town.   Might be a good idea to watch them closely as they get old enough to cause trouble.

lol, was never thinking of that, that these babies maybe cursed smile

The blocking radius also increases the more curses you got....

#13 2020-07-02 01:49:30

Gogo
Banned

nerfsnowballsnow wrote:

Spent literally around 10 minutes arguing with them next to leader about this.

Arguing makes you look worse.

#14 2020-07-08 02:13:09

Karrots

FishRfriendsnotfood wrote:

your mistake was arguing for 10 minutes.  when you see things go sideways, take off get at least 200 tiles away (out of curse range) and let things cool off. maybe change your hat, clothes etc and come back if some time has passed or look for a place to camp.  Don't give in to the urge to defend your honor.

+1, OHOL isn't a noble game, you don't have to face your problems head on.

#15 2020-07-08 03:20:52

jasonrohrer
Administrator

How could a system NOT be based on "he said, she said?"  That is exactly what justice looks like in real life.  Whoever tells a more compelling story, with more compelling evidence and witnesses, wins.

Even if justice happened outside the game, it would still look just like that.  You would email me, complaining about what happened to you (he said), and then I'd have to email the other person, to get their take on it (she said).

#16 2020-07-08 10:52:07

Gogo
Banned

nerfsnowballsnow wrote:

Eleonora and a person named July Edge tell the leader to exile and curse me. Another person is defending me. Spent literally around 10 minutes arguing with them next to leader about this. There is another person who was there to witness the Bluma stuff who was defending me, can't remember their name. July Edge insists that she saw me lock the door on other people so I can only assume she was also griefing. Despite me trying to defend myself for 10 minutes, leader decides to believe July and Eleonora, and I get exiled, cursed, and killed.

I can tell you from leader's experience - a leader is more inclined to believe the first person who reported something. Because if you didn't do anything wrong, you won't hesitate to tell about what's going on. Yes, griefer can send false accusation first, but it takes more courage to do, so it's more rare.

Also exiling and killing is simpler way to deal with problem, than calm ppl down and watch them with zoom to decide who's guilty.

#17 2020-07-08 11:41:42

Guy

jasonrohrer wrote:

How could a system NOT be based on "he said, she said?"  That is exactly what justice looks like in real life.  Whoever tells a more compelling story, with more compelling evidence and witnesses, wins.

Even if justice happened outside the game, it would still look just like that.  You would email me, complaining about what happened to you (he said), and then I'd have to email the other person, to get their take on it (she said).

I think life being as short as it is in-game it does kind of have to be. You have to decide pretty quickly if the person is innocent or not, Innocents get killed all the time.

In real life the procedure is much more frugal. In real life we can actually review evidence and organize court cases. Not to get too political here but ideally police don't kill people.

So I guess my answer to your question would be to have us live longer. That obviously won't happen but hypothetically I think society would be more organized.

Board footer