One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-06-28 01:27:45

QuirkySmirkyIan

A New New Player Guide

Due to the large influx of new players lately and me feeling like I want to write stuff I have decided I will make a new player guide that can hopefully help people out. I am a decent player with 400 hours (about) and I know to heart most of the crafting recipes. I will be giving tips in a listed order, personally I just love lists it makes things look neat.

The Tips for New Players:

1. Don't be afraid to die over and over again till you understand how to survive.
It is okay to not live to old age on your first few tries you are most likely not going to. You can try but it is very possible that a bear attack or griefers or you starving could kill you. Just remember that there are some unpredictable events that can be hard to dodge but speaking of crazy events there are some ways to live from them.

2. Hide in the pens and carry food on you or in your backpack.
If there is a bear attack or some sort of wild animal remember that being in the sheep pen should be safe. Pens are designed for animals to stay in and they shouldn't be able to come in as well. Also you should have emergency food in your backpack at all times unless you feel really comfortable with your game. Who knows when you could get a baby boom and all the moms are eating up the food like crazy. A good example of this was in the Fucito family and there was so many people and so little food, many sadly starved.

3. You should always YUM chain.
Speaking of food YUM chaining is where you eat a variety of foods and get bonuses for eating a variety. For example I eat a berry than I eat a tomato at the start of my chain; the berry will be yum but will not give surplus but then the tomato will give +1 food. This means if you keep eating a variety of food throughout your life you could end up with +100 food in rare circumstances. It is crazily overpowered and it helps you eat far less reducing stress and saving the town.

4. New system Cravings seems efficient and you should try to eat your craving food.
There has been a new update recently where they added cravings. If you eat a craving food lets say a tomato you will get +2 food instead of your +1 for yum, as well as your yum bonus. This could potentially be very helpful but there is of course a catch when it comes to cravings. You may not always get the food that you need. Some of the foods are extremely hard to make and could be very hard to find or eat. This is good and bad, bad for you but your kids will get even more bonuses from that food because cravings pass down to kids and they are in a ordered list for the entire family.

5. NEVER BERRY MUNCH
Berry munching is a term for a player who eats a lot of berries and usually eats them to fill up there entire hunger bar. This is a horrible idea because berries only provide 1 pip of food in late game towns, which are most towns, (5 base I think) and it is very important for soil and sheep feed. Berries are to be used for making soil and feeding sheep not for munching. THE ONLY TIME you should be eating a berry is once when you are a child building up your YUM chain.

6. Be efficient with what you eat.
When you grow up (3 years old) Your mom will usually say good luck and you will be expected to stop drinking her milk and feed yourself. To YUM chain you should start by eating the farms crops for example, berry, tomato, onion, pepper, cucumber, green beans, carrot, and shucked corn. Some people say green beans and shucked corn aren't great to yum on but I personally don't think its that bad. Also you can eat bread, skim milk, and sometimes whole milk. Then when you grow you will want to eat the high filling foods such as stew, turkey slice, drumstick, turkey broth, all pie variants, bread with butter, tacos, burritos, and cooked mutton. Of course there are many other foods but those are many of the foods you will see in towns that will be commonly available.

7. Contribute to your family.
Now that you understand how to survive and hopefully live to old age you should begin working. At first you may think "What am I supposed to do? I feel useless." Fear not as I can help you. Some of the easy tasks to do as a new player is watering the berries, planting crops, making compost, making pies, growing carrots, tending sheep, be a nursing mom, and many many more. I will not be explaining how to do these tasks here as that will take to long but some useful sources are the official tech tree and the player-made wiki. (somewhat outdated) https://onetech.info/ and https://onehouronelife.gamepedia.com/On … _Life_Wiki If you don't feel like reading wikis you can always ask your family members for help. Many people will help you ingame although not the easiest to do many will try. I try to be helpful when my kids ask me to help them learn so if you are born to me just ask for help and I will provide you with help. I usually name my kids Ian, Rosie, Bob, and Firyal so if you see those names it may be me.

8. TAKE CARE OF YOUR KIDS
This is very important, you should always do your best to make sure you kids live a successful life. It can save towns if you keep your kids in good shape, it can increase your genetic fitness which gives you more tool slots (Allows you to do more things.) gives you the possibility to become a leader of a village, or even become an Eve and create your own family with a last name of your choosing! You get this all by doing your best to take care of your kids.

9. Mods can help you out if you want to game to be easier to play and you can zoom out!
You can download mods for the game that will give you extra features, don't worry this is allowed, many people use it and you will not get banned. Some of the mods include Hetuw, Awbz, Milkweed, and Wonlife. Hetuw is my personal favorite mod and Wonlife doesn't have zoom but instead has many QOL features. (Quality of life)

10. It is okay to take a break and roleplay sometimes.
Do not think you have to work 24/7 in OHOL. (Onehouronelife) It is okay to relax and roleplay sometimes but if you want to I would suggest working a little bit and only doing it in advanced towns.

Notes: I will be posting this on the steam fourms as well as a link to the OHOL Webpage and fourms.

Open gate now. Need truck to be more efficient!

#2 2020-06-28 04:16:49

Lava

Re: A New New Player Guide

Great guide!

#3 2020-06-28 07:39:31

Gogo
Banned

As baby you can fill your backpack with foods from farm, then go and search for

1. kindlings or branches that can be chopped into kindlings (bring it near kitchen or forge)
2. firewoods (bring it next to fire, if fire is not large one put firewood into it)

I strongly suggest wait with asking for lessons until you're a teenager with high yum chain. You can be taught things without being disctracted of hunger.

#4 2020-06-28 08:06:56

Arcurus

Nice guide, have not read it completely yet, but here some points:

Berries according to onetech habe food value of 3 (i thought they have four or something).

For a child eating popcorn is a great way to statt. Dont to be shy and ask your mother how to eat / yum.

You know when you can pickup stuff when your hair has grown.

onetech is your best friend.

#5 2020-07-13 16:56:57

Kedishen

11: DON'T STAND IN THE WAY OF PEOPLE WHO ARE WORKING
- Kitchen, smithing and farming areas are not afk zones.
If you must briefly AFK, do it somewhere out of the way or if low yum, at a source of heat.
If you gotta stand around talking, do it somewhere people are not working. Nothing worse than trying to forge or cook with a room full of people waffling and standing on the tiles being used. Don't hinder the people working to keep you alive.

12: DO NOT TAKE BOWLS/BASKETS/PLATES FROM THE KITCHEN OR SMITHING AREAS
Unless there is an excess, they are needed there and should always have them available.
If you use an item, put it back where you found it, or near its appropriate area (axe to the wood stores, hoe to the farms, spade to the sheep pen/composting area etc).

13: DO NOT CLUTTER THE WORK AREAS WITH UNRELATED ITEMS
If it does not relate to the kitchen/ smithing or farming area, don't leave it there.

14: ALWAYS LEAVE SEEDS AFTER HARVESTING
For carrots, for each 9 rows, leave 1-2 rows for seed. Wheat is not as crucial to seed, threshed wheat can be used to seed farms.
After harvesting, deposit a single bowl of soil on hardened rows to reduce long-term soil usage.
When harvesting milkweed at farming area, wait until the milkweed is fruiting. Then fill a bowl with milkweed seed (if no other seeds exist) and leave at area.
Ideally, you will hoe and seed the rows ready for the next person to harvest. Don't add water until needed. Only berries should be watered asap.

15: WATCH BEFORE ASKING
If you don't know how to do something, stand and watch somebody who is already doing it and then ask questions if you still don't understand.

16: DON'T LEAVE TOWN AS A BABY.
Exploring is great, but be respectful wait until you at least have a 10x yum chain and done 10 minutes work before you wander away from village to the great beyond. Your clothes and backpack are more useful in the town being used by someone else rather than decaying and disappearing into the wild because you couldn't wait to leave home

17. DO BASIC TASKS AT LEAST UNTIL YOU MATURE
If your mother doesn't assign you a task, walk around the town and complete the following tasks for at least 10 minutes.

- Berries have soil and are watered?
- Veg farms soiled/seeded? (no need to water if surplus exists)
- Soil deposited around the berries? (Leave spaces at corners and junctions)
- Area around farms de-cluttered of unrelated items?

- Logs near the fire?
- Tinder near the ovens/kiln?
- Player bones deposited away from town area?
- Animal bones removed from animal pens?

- Threshed wheat available in kitchen? (pile it outside the door)
- Variety of ingredients available near the kitchen? Ask what they need

- Manure composted?
- Sheep tended?

- Empty unneeded crock pots/bowls/plates/baskets stacked in main storage area?
- Vegetables/farm materials stacked
- Scattered tools returned to tool storage area?
- Clothing items deposited near nursery area?
- Forge area cleared of unrelated clutter/items stacked?
- Kitchen area cleared of unrelated clutter/items stacked?

- Nearby trees picked of branches?

Last edited by Kedishen (2020-07-13 18:04:37)

Board footer