One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-06-14 14:40:03

fug

After a month hiatus.

Just some stuff I think could be touched on after coming back.

The game really needs new character models and like a bunch of them. While I understand it's hard to just crank out a bunch of good looking characters the homelands update makes towns look really bland any time you have a decent population. This is definitely seen most in black + ginger families as every other generation is basically the same female model (for those who don't know female characters can't birth same models).

It frankly makes everything feel bland especially when compared to the times we had multicultural towns in the game which felt much more lively compared to this.

I think the combination of hungry work + devaluing foods feels terrible when doing certain things such as mining iron. I got stuck on iron duty my first life back and even with a 28 yum chain that felt awful. Without completely removing either systems I think hungry work shouldn't be a static number or without a doubt there should be a hungry work free alternative besides the diesel engine.

Basically hungry work + lowering food values feels bad. However, yumming does feel better due to lower values though so it's not like just losing food value per generation is all bad.

Language learning system really needs to be fixed. It's currently not viable to learn languages due to how homelands work in combination with how language learning is supposed to work. You can only successfully pass down language if your branch of the tree continues while also requiring you to have a different lineage around you to teach the new generation to speak your language.

For this to work you'd essentially need males of different families living with off color families as a means to teach as if you do it the other way females will be infertile (another issue with the homelands mechanic.) We have two clashing mechanics that make something interesting (language learning) completely unviable which is pretty lame in my opinion.

The tutorial is going to need a revamp (again) due to how many unintuitive systems are plaguing the game right now. I couldn't imagine trying to let any of my friends play the game in its current state because you're never going to know how some of this stuff works without either looking outside of the game or having it completely explained to you.

The classic version of this is when you either see a failed eve camp near ponds (but no well/well site). You'd assume you're supposed to build a camp/village near water sources and ponds are the first sources of water you can use in game but of course the veterans can put up wells quickly so they don't need ponds. However, new players being unable to just poof a well into existence create doomed camps not knowing any better.

I know everyone is craving content at this point but these things do need to be looked at eventually to make the game feel better.

TL;DR:

new models and/or homeland restrictions cleaned up
Change hungry work to be a changeable number instead of static
Fix language learning
Game tutorial needs a revamp.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#2 2020-06-14 23:36:11

Lava

Re: After a month hiatus.

Been saying this for a while and completely agree. If there’s on thing in here that’s absolutely broken and doesn’t work in the current mechanics of the game it’s language. There needs to be a new way to learn language.

Last edited by Lava (2020-06-14 23:36:52)

#3 2020-06-15 09:51:14

WoodSpoon
Banned

Re: After a month hiatus.

Some kind of dictionary type item could work, Maybe use it as a way to buff whites a bit.

Each fam can make a dictionary for there language. Since whites language is universal, There dictionaries are a bit more valuable. You can read once per life to learn a word, Gets passed on to your babies. Who can then learn another word until eventually your descendants are bilingual.

For characters, He should just randomize hair and face.

For variations maybe some race unique items. Even if just cosmetic like buildings being reskined slightly if made by another race.

Board footer