One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-29 06:04:06

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

Instead of an update we get Jason to play the game for a week

Just one week, no update but he promises to play at least a few hours a day.

I truly think you're out of touch with the game and community at this point and I believe it would help everyone if you spent some real time playing it. REAL TIME. No voice of God, no 20 min lives of carrot munching and being afk, but a couple 60 minute lives a day for a week to get a sense of what it's like nowadays.

The game isn't how you think it is. From the stuff you write here and on GitHub it's obvious you don't ACTUALLY play that often. THIS IS NOT ME SHIT TALKING JASON. I understand. That's why I'm suggesting instead of a week of working he takes that time and spend it playing. I honestly think you're going to be surprised by what you see and find Jason. You might understand where we're coming from on some topics and maybe you can think of new ideas on other stuff.

All around I think it's a win. Yes it will be a week without an update, but I think it will be good for him to take a break and look around at the game for a bit. Updates might be better afterwards too for those who don't want to wait a week.

Last edited by DiscardedSlinky (2020-05-29 10:26:32)

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#2 2020-05-29 06:55:12

BlueCramberry64

Re: Instead of an update we get Jason to play the game for a week

OMG that is brilliant! For some reason, I feel like he will get bored after the first 30 minutes thou. Yet, if he was to play a couple of hours every day, for a week, at the rush hours, it would make such a difference. For better or for worse!

Come on Jason, become one of us!

#3 2020-05-29 07:05:19

Lava

Hundred percent agree on this one. Just play your game. No hate. It will clear you mind and offer a new perspective.

#4 2020-05-29 07:23:19

miskas

well if he is gonna play for a week we have to suggest to him some tasks to do. some tasks we think are problematic or that will give him to feel how is the game.

like gathering 2 or more horses as a non-black race.
Traveling and exploring with vanilla
Taking care of his Gene score.
Start an Oil rig as Ginger
Getting oil as a non-Ginger.
Become an Eve and start a new camp.

What other activities would be good to grasp the reality of the game?

for me the main issues are gene score management while having a lot of babies or doing essential staf for family survival that requires you to travel or work without leaving you time for your genes. You are essentially punished if your actions are not short term.
AND the limited view of vanilla that limits your traveling, scavenging, trading, working, map awareness. and affects so many things.

the other issue is the lack of belonging to a family but this come after a long time when you realize that every life of yours and very action is short term and all the families and tows are expendable.

Last edited by miskas (2020-05-29 07:36:47)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#5 2020-05-29 09:10:38

Blue tinker

That's a very good idea. Just like lava wrote, this might possitively influence the game design. Though some issues are not noticable so easily. I'm talking about the lack of new stuff (it has been building up since the beginning of the year) and as the creator of the game the unintuitive mechanics (posse, family specialties, even tool slots) are obvious to him.

A new tutorial section with screenshots or GIFs would be amazing in my honest opinion. New players really could use something like that.

New to the forum but not the game. Property fence enthusiast.

#6 2020-05-29 09:16:02

JonySky
Website

I find it interesting,...
I suggest that you only cook cakes for 60 minutes
or just water the berries and carrots for 60 minutes
or to collect iron for 60 minutes
or try to create a camera from 0
or who is dedicated to "explore" the map and contact other families
or create roads between cities for 60 minutes
or trying to kill an evil king

Maybe trying all this you are surprised at how boring, tedious and frustrating your game can be ...

#7 2020-05-29 09:21:30

Arcurus

JonySky wrote:

I find it interesting,...
I suggest that you only cook cakes for 60 minutes
or just water the berries and carrots for 60 minutes
or to collect iron for 60 minutes
or try to create a camera from 0
or who is dedicated to "explore" the map and contact other families
or create roads between cities for 60 minutes
or trying to kill an evil king

Maybe trying all this you are surprised at how boring, tedious and frustrating your game can be ...

he can try to be an evil king an see how often they manage to make a revolt.

to roads, practically currently there is no use, except for giving a slight hint for a direction where the next village is (if not dead yet).

Towns are not very used long currently, so no value in building roads.

I guess with the new Eve placement which places Eves always west of towns this issue would get lot worse, at least Eves will more likely start in not exhausted areas

Last edited by Arcurus (2020-05-29 10:00:36)

#8 2020-05-29 09:34:54

fug

Absolutely not.

We asked him to try SS13 and he didn't even half ass try it. He basically started breaking things and got jailed and quit.

He'd probably play two minutes, see some food and nerf it for having the nerve to exist without being stuffed behind 30 fences while two people argue over who should be allowed to eat it.

Him playing is just as bad or worse than him not playing.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#9 2020-05-29 09:53:16

Grim_Arbiter

Slinky that's how we got the food change.

Right before that update he was playing the game and decided it wasn't hard enough.

I'm not even saying it was a complete negative like most of the people here on the forum. Sure it was a game changer and might not fit perfectly yet, but that's what we got from "play your damn game jason!"

So if he plays it again, sees something he wants to change, changes it, your just going to have people scream "add content"

He really cant ever fuggin win with some of you it seems.

At the end of the day, this is art yo.

Like any other art medium, some things are added on a whim and out of feeling.. true expression, and "aha!" like captures.. which is the best and easiest part.. But some things are meticulously worked on to the point where someone can drive themselves mad over it. It sucks making something that no matter how much you try to polish you still feel like you need to do more. Sometimes you'd be better off leaving it alone how it was, but its not always the case.

A non exact metaphor for ya.

The current situation is like a band who releases an album and gets a following. Then digitally remasters it to try and improve it. Then after that, decides to actually scrap all the original recordings and re re release and rerecord the whole thing.

In that scenario you would have the same reactions your getting now.

"Why are you rehashing things instead of making new things!"
"It was fine before, you dont need to change it!"

Well you know why they can do that, and shouldn't recieve that same criticism either?

Because it's theirs. They made it. Art is made for yourself or else its fake imitation BS. Others can enjoy what you make, but it's never going to be theirs.. Even though people can try to just blatantly steal it, like what has even happened to this game. That's like half the reason I dont make most of my art stuff public, I just want to be able to enjoy it without someone trying to take it or change it (think pepe the frog and how something made can be morphed into something you never wanted)

Anyways..

Just let the boy make his damn game.
Jeeze.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#10 2020-05-29 10:44:20

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

I know it could lead to more bad things for us but at least they would be informed nerfs or bad updates. It wouldn't just be him going into VOG for 20 minutes and drawing assumptions from that and declaring them correct. If he plays enough he will see the shit that we all complain about. He will be griefed, he will be swarmed with new players, he will have no water or iron, and maybe he will understand.

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#11 2020-05-29 10:52:20

Spoonwood

grim_arbiter wrote:

Art is made for yourself or else its fake imitation BS.

No.  Plenty of art gets made for other people.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#12 2020-05-29 11:32:25

Coconut Fruit

Ye, get a zoom mod and play the game, Jason big_smile

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#13 2020-05-29 11:43:48

Grim_Arbiter

Spoonwood wrote:
grim_arbiter wrote:

Art is made for yourself or else its fake imitation BS.

No.  Plenty of art gets made for other people.

Not before the needs and wants of the artist.. Even a child making a crayon drawing for their parents still is making choices and expressions based on themselves. They dont go ask "hey mom what color do i make you?.. what color do I make the trees and the sky?" They're still making it for someone to enjoy, but as long they're not a robot they're going to take control of what they're making and make their OWN creation from what they want and are feeling.

"Mommy is green and purple because she yells like the hulk and that's how me expressing it the best way I can"

"The sky is blue and black because I have no real concept of day and night yet and i see the sky as a mix of the two"

"Pitbulls can get angry in my game because I think shitty people tend to get them in mass, even though the dog itself isnt naturally evil, so they tend to be unfortunately used as a tool used in a negative way like real life"

Anything made trying to please everyone will never please the person making it, because they don't agree with everyone.. And that's perfectly fine.

If you go make the game with fathers you want spoonman, and then some guy on the forums for your game won't let off about how the game is just a sex simulator, and not accurately portraying parenthood, are you going to bend because SOMEONE got offended or didn't like where it was going? I hope not. You wouldn't make the game you wanted.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#14 2020-05-29 11:46:40

Twisted

I want to say yes, but last time he played he thought there was too much iron and that resulted in the iron nerf.

#15 2020-05-29 11:55:51

JonySky
Website

Twisted wrote:

I want to say yes, but last time he played he thought there was too much iron and that resulted in the iron nerf.

really yes, there was a lot of iron, the problem is that the solution I implement is much worse than the problem

#16 2020-05-29 12:03:34

WoodSpoon
Banned

I thought he just looked at a couple cities in god mode.

Twisted wrote:

I'd  be down for him playing as a regular person instead. He could arrange to twin with some veteran players for a life. They could sort of baby sit him, Aid him with the goals mentioned. In the process showing him some of the Meta and actually cooperate with players for once.

Actually be kinda fun for him to twin with Spoonwood. They could bond about how out of touch they both are with the game.

#17 2020-05-29 13:03:04

Grim_Arbiter

WoodSpoon wrote:

I thought he just looked at a couple cities in god mode.

I'd  be down for him playing as a regular person instead. He could arrange to twin with some veteran players for a life. They could sort of baby sit him, Aid him with the goals mentioned. In the process showing him some of the Meta and actually cooperate with players for once.

Actually be kinda fun for him to twin with Spoonwood. They could bond about how out of touch they both are with the game.

From my understanding from people who have actually caught him in game somewhat recently, is that he spawns normally and is a basic person. I THINK he has the ability to go god mode while normal, but generally uses it just to test and check things real time. No spawning bears or talking berry bushes type of god mode that he's done before to have some fun. You would have to check with kilian here or see if jason somehow sees this and answers for the real answer though.

I do know that before the food update it was actually easy to identify jason when he was normal, because he only ate carrots. He's had to change and adapt his play style because of his own changes haha.

--Grim

#18 2020-05-29 14:50:47

Spoonwood

Girm_Arbiter wrote:

Not before the needs and wants of the artist.. Even a child making a crayon drawing for their parents still is making choices and expressions based on themselves. They dont go ask "hey mom what color do i make you?.. what color do I make the trees and the sky?"

It wouldn't surprise me if someone has done what you said there.

Grim_Arbiter wrote:

Anything made trying to please everyone will never please the person making it, because they don't agree with everyone

There isn't anything that pleases everyone.

Grim_Arbiter wrote:

If you go make the game with fathers you want spoonman, and then some guy on the forums for your game won't let off about how the game is just a sex simulator, and not accurately portraying parenthood, are you going to bend because SOMEONE got offended or didn't like where it was going?

If such were to happen, I possibly might change things based on such feedback.  The game isn't a static picture.  Nor is it a movie.  Computer games are more interactive than that.  Different standards come as needed for understanding them, because of that interactivity.

Edit: Grim, I specifically remember being in elementary school, I think it was 3rd grade.  There was an art competition.  I didn't win that year, but looked over the things that won.  I noticed certain visual patterns.  The next year there was a competition again.  I thought about certain coloring and style that I thought would make my piece look better.  But, I did NOT go with that coloring and style.  Instead I tailored my piece so that it more resembled the sort of pattern I observed in the pieces that won from the previous year.  I ended up winning the art competition that year.  I don't recall regretting my choice to make art based on winning the competition rather than pleasing my own taste ever, and that was something like 3 decades ago now.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-05-29 14:56:40)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#19 2020-05-29 14:53:27

Arcurus

Twisted wrote:

Oh no, never let him play his game again!

#20 2020-05-29 16:51:27

Grim_Arbiter

Spoonwood wrote:

Edit: Grim, I specifically remember being in elementary school, I think it was 3rd grade.  There was an art competition.  I didn't win that year, but looked over the things that won.  I noticed certain visual patterns.  The next year there was a competition again.  I thought about certain coloring and style that I thought would make my piece look better.  But, I did NOT go with that coloring and style.  Instead I tailored my piece so that it more resembled the sort of pattern I observed in the pieces that won from the previous year.  I ended up winning the art competition that year.  I don't recall regretting my choice to make art based on winning the competition rather than pleasing my own taste ever, and that was something like 3 decades ago now.

Yeah thats the Picasso/Stravinsky quote in action "good artists create, better artists steal" or however it goes. That's half of what I was talking about with not even wanting to release my personal stuff to the world. Once you put something out into the world it's free game for hijacking and reinterpreting. While that's the bad side of it, the good side is inspiring others and setting groundwork for their own originality to find itself.

It could be looked at as either borrowing or stealing.. or both at the same time. If your gonna borrow from something you have to at least have some of your own touch in there. You dont repaint the mona lisa with a moustache and expect the same impacting world result as Da Vinci.

You didn't lose sleep over the third grade incident because there weren't any steaks, or reputations, or whatever on the line, nor could anything have ever happened to you or whoever you borrowed your idea from. It's not like that kid you stole it from had an image or idea to protect, or money to be lost. In fact that kid probably did what you did and copied the kid that won the year before that haha.

--Grim

#21 2020-05-29 21:25:08

Karrots

Lol cut to two weeks from now, Jason plays the game, thinks its too easy and nerfs everything

#22 2020-05-29 21:46:12

DestinyCall

Karrots wrote:

Lol cut to two weeks from now, Jason plays the game, thinks its too easy and nerfs everything

Yeah, that's the outcome I would expect based on seeing his reaction to previous things he has seen in-game.   

Jason is definitely out-of-touch with his players, but I don't think it is a problem that can be fixed by convincing him to play the game more.  He won't change his mind about important things or suddenly realize he was wrong about race restrictions.   He is going to play around with property fences and nerf mutton production.

#23 2020-05-30 14:35:28

karltown_veteran

I like this idea. Go on Jason, give it the ol college try.

.-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / ... - .-. .- -. --. . .-.-.- / ... --- / .- -- / .. .-.-.-
ˆ ø˜ç´ ƒ®åµ´∂ å˜ ˆ˜˜øç∑˜† å˜∂ ©ø† å∑å¥ ∑ˆ†˙ ˆ†
he xnt bzm qdzc sghr, xnt zqd z enqlhczakd noonmdms
veteran of an OHOL town called Karltown. Not really a veteran and my names not Karl

Board footer